Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:20 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,237 times

Advertisements

speaking strictly from the diversity standpoint, Whittier is probably the most diverse neighborhood in Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 10:12 PM

203 posts, read 512,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
speaking strictly from the diversity standpoint, Whittier is probably the most diverse neighborhood in Minneapolis.

I'll look into it. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 PM

164 posts, read 595,953 times
I lived in Steven's Square for 8 years, and to me it seemed much more vibrant and neighborhoody than Elliot Park. I think the rents are similar, but with SS you have easier access to parking and amenities and the buslines near Franklin and Nicollet are very good. I think that EP is maybe as dangerous as SS, and has a feeling of "passing thru" more than anything.....people work downtown and leave, so it's very dead on the weekends unless there's an event. SS is more dense and probably more diverse than EP and just going about daily things seems easier, plus you don't have that feeling of being trapped by the city- in fact I think all the concrete and asphalt might kind of wear on your sanity. Stevens Square or Loring Park (if you can afford it) might be better choices. But a year in Elliot Park wouldn't be bad as long as you don't have a car. Downtown living definitely has its moments.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:44 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,362,280 times
Just out of curiosity, how does Whittier compare statistically to Central, Powderhorn Park and the Phillips neighborhoods in regards to diversity? I would think those neighborhoods have to be close.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:09 AM

First off, I'm disappointed in what alot of you have suggested. You think living downtown is a good idea for me?? A young woman like me? Here is the link which really got me thinking about the areas that I would like to live in and what also feel more comfortable in.

JAS Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Minneapolis apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Stevens Community Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Minneapolis apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Very disappointed..

Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 AM

638 posts, read 3,122,768 times
Personally, I think Elliot Park, Stevens Square, and Whittier would all be suitable for what you are looking for. And I think our opinions are colored by our own personal preferences too.

If you were my daughter moving to the Cities for the first time from a smaller town, I would choose Whittier or Stevens Square because of the proximity to Nicollet Ave. and "Eat Street" --*my* favorite diverse (especially the food!) area in the Cities. But then that's my own opinion.

It's great that you are really studying and doing your homework about where to live BEFORE you move here. One of the things you might like to do is use the Google Map street view and "drive" down/around each of the streets/areas you are looking at. It gives you an idea of what each area looked like on the day that they took those pictures, and the house numbers may be slightly off (I've found that these can be quite far off myself); but it does give you a glimpse of the area at that time. Most of the ones that I've checked out were taken really early in the morning or in the early evening, not during the height of the day or rush hour; but you can see if the area is well-maintained or not.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
Personally, I think Elliot Park, Stevens Square, and Whittier would all be suitable for what you are looking for. And I think our opinions are colored by our own personal preferences too.

If you were my daughter moving to the Cities for the first time from a smaller town, I would choose Whittier or Stevens Square because of the proximity to Nicollet Ave. and "Eat Street" --*my* favorite diverse (especially the food!) area in the Cities. But then that's my own opinion.

It's great that you are really studying and doing your homework about where to live BEFORE you move here. One of the things you might like to do is use the Google Map street view and "drive" down/around each of the streets/areas you are looking at. It gives you an idea of what each area looked like on the day that they took those pictures, and the house numbers may be slightly off (I've found that these can be quite far off myself); but it does give you a glimpse of the area at that time. Most of the ones that I've checked out were taken really early in the morning or in the early evening, not during the height of the day or rush hour; but you can see if the area is well-maintained or not.
Thanks. Yes, I thought it was a good idea once people started mentioning to move close to downtown, or move IN downtown. Yet, when I looked at the reviews for alot of the apartments that were located downtown, ALOT of them mentioned that it would NOT be suitable for young SINGLE women. Especially at night and these are people who actually have lived in these apartments. I put the link up here.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:02 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzymentality View Post
First off, I'm disappointed in what alot of you have suggested. You think living downtown is a good idea for me?? A young woman like me? Here is the link which really got me thinking about the areas that I would like to live in and what also feel more comfortable in.

JAS Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Minneapolis apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Stevens Community Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Minneapolis apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Very disappointed..
You are FAR closer living to downtown in Elliot Park than you are Stevens Square.

I have heard those Stevens Community places are not too good, but thats one rental association in a neighborhood of dozens of places.

I have no idea where you are relocating from, but expect that most of the comments left about crime and safety in those areas is grossly exaggerated.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:47 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzymentality View Post
Thanks. Yes, I thought it was a good idea once people started mentioning to move close to downtown, or move IN downtown. Yet, when I looked at the reviews for alot of the apartments that were located downtown, ALOT of them mentioned that it would NOT be suitable for young SINGLE women. Especially at night and these are people who actually have lived in these apartments. I put the link up here.
SS and Elliot Park are not places that you as a single woman want to be walking around in after dark. As a female who has lived in S. Mpls for almost 25 years, I have a good feel for the city and I know where the dangerous areas are. I would never walk around there by myself after dark. There are too many loitering men and people on drugs / alcohol.

Send me PM if you find a different area and need advice.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
SS and Elliot Park are not places that you as a single woman want to be walking around in after dark. As a female who has lived in S. Mpls for almost 25 years, I have a good feel for the city and I know where the dangerous areas are. I would never walk around there by myself after dark. There are too many loitering men and people on drugs / alcohol.

Send me PM if you find a different area and need advice.

Thanks, I'll definately send you a PM sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul