Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:08 AM

203 posts, read 512,554 times

Advertisements

Ok, I think I truly found a good neighborhood to live in:

A. It has a high population of people around the "college age"

B. It's diverse

C. It's near downtown, so finding buslines wouldn't be a problem

D. It doesn't seem to be near any dangerous neighborhoods in Minneapolis, As in people aren't as cautious to do simple things.

Please people let me know if this neighborhood is a good place for me. I've checked for Cedar Riverside, and people don't reccomend I live there. I've checked Loring Park, but it seems somewhat bland. Uptown seems expensive, downtown seems chaotic.... Western areas seem so far away..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 12:39 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Elliot Park is part of the central community of Minneapolis and I would almost consider it part of downtown Minneapolis. We walked to the park on Sunday from the Downtown East/Metrodome rail station. It would be an appealing area for you if you like an urban setting.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:12 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
Elliot Park is sorta odd. Its not really dangerous by any means but there is a social divide of gentrification and condos, and some run down slightly dumpy spots mixed in. It does border Phillips to the south, which is considerably worse. Most of the questionable characters tend to hang out closer to the 94 bridges though. I would probably opt for Stevens or Whittier before Elliot Park, simply because with MCAD right next door, there is always a high concentration of students living there.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:51 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
a. Elliot Park is one of the city's most mixed areas socially. You wouldn't walk around it and say "Wow, there are tons of college kids here." Even with NCU right there it really isn't orientated towards college kids. It isn't filled with old people though, either.
b. It is very diverse, and there is an odd combination of very wealthy and very poor there, which is unlike most City neighborhoofs.
c. Transportation is quite good in the area, as alot of people in Elliot Park would rely solely upon it. Chicago Avenue is one of the top lines run by Metro Transit.
d. Elliot Park isn't nearly as dangerous as its economic situation would suggest. Watch where you area and be smart, but you shouldn't run into too many obvious problems. There are alot of transient and impoverished peoples living in places around the area, so it may seem more dangerous than it actually is.
Lastly, there isn't a lot of retail in the area figuring how many people are living in the area. If you are looking for a area filled with pedestrians and shops, it prob. isn't there.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Elliot Park is part of the central community of Minneapolis and I would almost consider it part of downtown Minneapolis. We walked to the park on Sunday from the Downtown East/Metrodome rail station. It would be an appealing area for you if you like an urban setting.

Yeah. I do like the urban setting. I don't like those old fashion, "uppity" houses. Or those nice new suburban homes..

Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Elliot Park is sorta odd. Its not really dangerous by any means but there is a social divide of gentrification and condos, and some run down slightly dumpy spots mixed in. It does border Phillips to the south, which is considerably worse. Most of the questionable characters tend to hang out closer to the 94 bridges though. I would probably opt for Stevens or Whittier before Elliot Park, simply because with MCAD right next door, there is always a high concentration of students living there.

Whittier has a high concentration of students?? There are hardly any 18-24 yearolds there? I looked at the Minneapolis neighborhood profile.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
a. Elliot Park is one of the city's most mixed areas socially. You wouldn't walk around it and say "Wow, there are tons of college kids here." Even with NCU right there it really isn't orientated towards college kids. It isn't filled with old people though, either.

Well, it's not like I want it like Dinkytown, college city mania. When I say diverse it's not necessarily about race or ethnicity, it's about generally being diverse.

b. It is very diverse, and there is an odd combination of very wealthy and very poor there, which is unlike most City neighborhoofs.

Very diverse is great. That's a great look into things. The wealthy and the poor. It would be an interesting insight from both of those classes. If it's unlike most other cities, than that's even more great.

c. Transportation is quite good in the area, as alot of people in Elliot Park would rely solely upon it. Chicago Avenue is one of the top lines run by Metro Transit.

Yeah, I'll still have a car, but because of the gas prices and the overall traffic, riding a bus would be much more reliable.

d. Elliot Park isn't nearly as dangerous as its economic situation would suggest. Watch where you area and be smart, but you shouldn't run into too many obvious problems. There are alot of transient and impoverished peoples living in places around the area, so it may seem more dangerous than it actually is.

Yeah, I'm glad it's not dangerous. That's good. It shows that just because a person has less money, doesn't mean that person will automatically lead a life of crime. Sad to think that I'll be one of those transient and impoverished people. I won't have money! Especially when I go to college. I'll be one of those people, the "poor" people. Which I think is great.

E. Lastly, there isn't a lot of retail in the area figuring how many people are living in the area. If you are looking for a area filled with pedestrians and shops, it prob. isn't there.

Who cares about materialistic things in the long run? I can always drive to a retail store if I want to. It's not like I need new clothes everyday. I like the cheap clothing too. The "bargain stores". There fashionable as it is, that's where people get their ideas about "fashionable season wear" is from vintage shops.
Thank you! I replied within the advice you gave me.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:25 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzymentality View Post
Whittier has a high concentration of students?? There are hardly any 18-24 yearolds there? I looked at the Minneapolis neighborhood profile.
Its also mostly rentals...so tracking what the numbers show 8 years ago doesnt really give much indication of what the population is like.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzymentality View Post
Thank you! I replied within the advice you gave me.
You misunderstood me on the last one. Elliot Park is even lacking in alot of daily necessities. You would have to go over the river or to Seward for a grocery store. I'm not talking that Elliot Park is lacking Manhattan-style boutiques or a Burberry store. There is alot of things you would have to leave the neighborhood for. Granted, most of those things are downtown, but it means a busride or finding parking.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:41 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,328 times
The shutdown and remodel of 1501 Portland really helped that area, as have the construction of the Grant Park and Skyscape condos. It's definitely an area that saw a lot of investment during the recent boom.

Still, you might prefer Stevens and Whittier because of their proximity to Nicollet Ave, where you'll find stores, restaurants, coffee shops, and a diverse array of people. Lots of MCTC and MCAD students in those areas, too (and fewer senior housing units).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul