Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:56 PM

959 posts, read 1,824,020 times

Advertisements

Well, we had fliped and flopped about whether to send our son to public or private. We finally decided public but not our district. Anoka-Hennepin. So we put our house up for sale and it is not selling. So now we are back to thinking we might have to stay here and go the private route. Does anyone have child in any private schools in this area? Can you tell me about it? Do you like it?

Kristine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 09:38 PM

98 posts, read 334,514 times
Kind of snobbish.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lereca View Post
Kind of snobbish.

Excuse me, but how exactly is that snobbish? I am asking for reviews on schools.

Kristine

Old 08-16-2008, 09:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
What about open enrollment in a neighboring district-Maple Grove maybe? You are too late to do that for the upcoming year but you could start the application process for next year.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:52 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,018 times
Just curious, but why don't you like the Anoka-Hennepin public schools? I don't have any firsthand knowledge but had heard they they are pretty good - someone else on here posted this website a while back, and I think it's pretty new, but there are some public school reviews for Anoka Hennepin on here.

And I'm not sure how helpful it is in terms of "reviews", but have you checked out this website? (private school review - Anoka County)

Old 08-16-2008, 10:46 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
I went through Anoka-Hennepin schools. There are a couple of private Catholic Schools nearby, both of which I attended. St. Stephens K-8 in Anoka and Epiphany K-8 in Coon Rapids. I liked both of them quite a bit.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Just curious, but why don't you like the Anoka-Hennepin public schools? I don't have any firsthand knowledge but had heard they they are pretty good - someone else on here posted this website a while back, and I think it's pretty new, but there are some public school reviews for Anoka Hennepin on here.

And I'm not sure how helpful it is in terms of "reviews", but have you checked out this website? (private school review - Anoka County)
I don't really want to get into the particulars because I don't want to offend anyone. It is just not the right fit for my family. That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I went through Anoka-Hennepin schools. There are a couple of private Catholic Schools nearby, both of which I attended. St. Stephens K-8 in Anoka and Epiphany K-8 in Coon Rapids. I liked both of them quite a bit.
Thanks so much for your first hand experience of both of those schools. Those are the two we are looking into.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:38 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
Excuse me, but how exactly is that snobbish? I am asking for reviews on schools.
Unlike some metro areas (e.g., Atlanta), private schools are rather an exception in the Twin Cities.

The public school systems in the metro area are so good, in general, that there really isn't a need for them from an academic standpoint.

I can certainly see how it could be seen as snobbish in the Twin Cities. Why toss your money away on something that will provide relatively little value? Most people don't have that kind of cash to toss away...

Old 08-19-2008, 08:06 PM

30 posts, read 72,639 times
Can you expand on "private schools are the exception"? Even for those living in Minneapolis itself (as opposed to Edina, etc.)?

My family might be moving from NJ for my husband's medical residency, and we'd like to live in Mpls proper (proximity to hospital). Out here, living in an inner city would more probably than not mean sending a child to private school. Is that not true of Mpls? I've been looking at the proficiency scores of some of the high schools in Mpls and they look pretty bad. Am I wrong?

Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,064 times
The idea to remember with the MPS is that things can vary so much from school to school. In suburban areas, there is less class stratification within a district so that most schools end up with approximately the same demographics. In Mpls. proper you have very wealthy living in areas like Kenwood, Lowry Hill, Linden Hills and Calhoun-Isles. These areas are served by good schools. You also have very poor areas such as Phillips and Near North. They obviously are not going to have the same reputation in terms of their neighborhood schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul