Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:21 AM

8 posts, read 24,959 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are relocating from Ohio to Minneapolis in about a month for his job. I'm 23 and he's 26. We're looking for a community that's close to a shopping area, restaurants, bars, etc... but has a clean, suburban feel. We want to live in a townhome or maybe rent a single-family home in a nice neighborhood, spending around $1,200/month.

His job requires us to live specifically in Minneapolis and not St. Paul. We're really excited, but the process is moving fast so we want to know where we should be looking when we get out there because we won't have time to see everything! Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 07:28 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by messyjesie View Post
His job requires us to live specifically in Minneapolis and not St. Paul.
That's odd.

Well, if you need to specifically live in Minneapolis then around the Uptown area would probably be what you are looking for. Depending on how much square footage you want, you may need to up your rent by a hondo or two.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:29 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
You could probably rent a single family home for about that in my neighborhood but it isn't exactly suburban there.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 AM

Slig, what is your neighborhood? Eagan?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:32 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Not anymore, I work in Eagan and was renting there but recently I purchased a home in the city. I live in the Corcoran neighborhood in Minneapolis.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:35 AM

701 posts, read 1,708,978 times
What does "suburban feel" mean to you? Depending on your perspective, Uptown could feel suburban (since it has single family homes and lots of trees) or urban (because it is densely populated and residential/commercial mix). We moved from downtown Chicago to Lynnhurst and experienced huge culture shock--we felt like we had moved to remote suburbia. Other people find the area to be too crowded. Knowing your perspective will help everyone here make better recommendations.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:51 AM

Right now we live on a residential street lined with trees, so I see what you're saying that some would say it's suburban. However if you walk to the end of our street either way, there are shops, restaurants, etc lining the streets. So we walk or bike almost everywhere we go. Plus, we happen to have a garage at our duplex, but most do not, so off-street parking is often the only choice. There are 52,000 people in only 5.5 square miles because of the large number of apartments & duplexes... I find this very crowded.

When we move to Minneapolis, we're looking to get away from this kind of area. We would like to live in a nice neighborhood or a townhome complex where there is a shopping center in driving distance instead of on the same block we live on... where residential is separate from commercial.

Does that make sense? I have heard a lot of great things about Uptown but it does seem that we would be getting ourselves into the same kind of place we currently live in. I don't want to be too far away from a commercial area, I just don't want to be able to see it when i look out my window.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:48 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,786 times
IMO, you should look into southwest Minneapolis. There you will be very close to lakes, plenty of shopping (Uptown, 50th and France, the Galleria, Southdale, etc.), transportation (near bus lines, 35W, 62, near MSP International), and downtown Minneapolis. The neighbordhoods are very clean and quiet.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:51 PM

394 posts, read 1,518,799 times
Why not St. Paul?
Thats ok, St. Paul sucks compared to Minneapolis, just my opinion. If you're my grandma or an old irish couple, St. Paul would be right down your alley.

Why don't you look at St. Louis Park? Hopkins? East Minnetonka

Old 08-28-2008, 06:23 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
IMO, you should look into southwest Minneapolis. There you will be very close to lakes, plenty of shopping (Uptown, 50th and France, the Galleria, Southdale, etc.), transportation (near bus lines, 35W, 62, near MSP International), and downtown Minneapolis. The neighbordhoods are very clean and quiet.
I also agree that you would like this area. This would border on Edina ( nice suburb) and Linden Hills ( really nice SW Mpls area). You will LOVE the lakes in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul