Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:07 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,966 times

Advertisements

I believe these should all be correct/ accurate (I did them in a hurry so hopefully everything sorted correctly). But as inquiring minds want to know, I've attached the same stats/ reports (mpls jan - jun 2008) for all neighborhoods per capita by each individual offense. Each one is sorted from highest to lowest per capita (total number of crimes/ population) for each offense. Enjoy-
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mpls P.C. Homicide (Jan-Jun08).pdf (15.2 KB, 273 views)
File Type: pdf Mpls P.C. Rape (Jan-Jun08).pdf (15.7 KB, 244 views)
File Type: pdf Mpls P.C. Robbery (Jan-Jun08).pdf (15.9 KB, 247 views)
File Type: pdf Mpls P.C. AggAssault (Jan-Jun08).pdf (16.0 KB, 245 views)
File Type: pdf Mpls P.C. Burglary (Jan-Jun08).pdf (16.1 KB, 258 views)
File Type: pdf Mpls P.C. Larceny (Jan-Jun08).pdf (16.2 KB, 237 views)
File Type: pdf Mpls P.C. AutoTheft (Jan-Jun08).pdf (16.0 KB, 239 views)
File Type: pdf Mpls PerCapita Arson (Jan-Jun08).pdf (15.4 KB, 242 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 08:46 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,387 times
Right or wrong, one can come to some generalizations about communities by looking at those stats:

You probably won't be murdered in Northeast, Nokomis and Calhoun-Isles.
Women should not walk around (at night/alone) in Central, Northeast or Phillips.
You just might get mugged in Central, Near North, Northeast, Phillips or Powderhorn.
Bullies behave badly in Central, Near North and Phillips.
Install a home alarm if you live in Near North, Central or Camden.
Don't own a store in Central, Calhoun-Isles and Phillips.
Use "The Club" in Central, Phillips, Northeast, Near North, Powderhorn or Camden.
Pyromaniacs play in Near North, Northeast, Phillips and Powderhorn.

General assumptions: Stay out of Central, Phillips and Near North.

The important thing to remember is that these are just numbers. On many occasions there were maybe 2 instances of something, say theft, during this whole 6 month period...and those instances, in a compilation like this, produces a "bad rep" for the communities. And just because certain neighborhoods within certain communities tend to pop up more than others, there are cases (like Bryn-Mawr and Burglaries) where a random neighborhood will pop up repeatedly. Calhoun-Isles isn't notorious for Burglaries but I've seen Bryn Mawr on there a lot. Crime is everywhere and maybe you're more likely to encounter it in certain neighborhoods, but you can't necessarily hide from it.

DISCLAIMER: My generalizations are just that.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:08 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
I just realized that my statistics are off, I accidentally combined Jan-June with April-June. There have only been 18 murders and 150 rapes so far this year through June.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:56 AM

987 posts, read 3,817,726 times
What I'd really like to know, is how many, if any at all, of these aggravated assaults are domestic disputes. My guess is that non-domestic aggravated assaults mostly occur along with other crimes like robbery or rape.

The internet is great for providing a general overview but stinks when it comes to real data.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:14 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
The shots fired map doesn't cover the whole city so isn't an accurate basis for judging neighborhoods (I think in North it ends on Lowry, not sure where in South) - plus I believe it includes dots where people "thought" they heard gunshots which isn't a reliable report as well. And I've read about numerous other innacuracies, I would take the "shots fired" with a grain of salt. If there's interest, I could single out each individual crime and do the reports for each neighborhood using the same numbers.

There were a number of things that caused me to raise my eyebrows, like you said - you have to take certain things into context. I was very surprised to see Cedar Riverside pretty low on the list (especially considering the underreporting of population in this neighborhood which would have made it even lower). But, it's possible that crime is vastly underreported in this neighborhood due to a number of social/ cultural factors (or at least I've heard this theory/ critique on several occassions). Whereas in my own neighborhood if a bike gets stolen, people will immediately be on the horn with the police department (demanding to file a report), their block club, the neighborhood assocation, and anyone else that might listen asking for information and/or providing details on the incident.
You have a good point on cedar / riverside

On the shots fired thing, you are correct that they do not have a complete picture and it does not cover the entire city. In general, it seems to cover areas that I have always perceived to be the problem areas.

Regarding filing of reports. In the time I lived in Minneapolis, I had two seperate things happen. I owned a condo in the late 80s near lake calhoun on Dean Parkway and had stuff stoled from my car. I could not get through on the phone and went to the precint where I was treated rudely by the desk sargent. In Fulton, where I lived a long time, I had my vehicle stolen while it was parked in front of my house. There was a 30 spree of vehicle thefts in the area, and apparently it is easy to steal a jeep cherokee. An officer was sent out, but I had to wait a long time for him to show up.

My guess is there are many unreported crimes.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:09 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I've heard that people that live east of Lyndale in SW don't want to associate themselves with the snobs that live west of lyndale...(maybe a secession is in order?)

My thoughts exactly about living on the Northside...
It does seem to be a mutual thing. The snob thing is greatly overstated if you ask me. More to do with natural boundries in my opinon. The lakes and limited number of east west routes do tend to isolate Fulton and Linden Hills. Kenny and Armatage have 54th, but that has to be the worst road in the city.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:37 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,760,169 times
Bottineaus crime is related to Gabby's for the most part. Also, the crime in the neighborhood may come down some since the Lowry Bridge closed.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Bottineaus crime is related to Gabby's for the most part. Also, the crime in the neighborhood may come down some since the Lowry Bridge closed.
Nick - I most generally always really like and appreciate everything you have to say on this board, but I'm sorry as I'm going to have to call you on this statement. I would hope that as a Northsider yourself, you wouldn't subscribe to that tired old belief by Northeasterns that the reason they have high crime in some neighborhoods is because there are bridges coming over to Northeast from North Minneapolis - I bet if we were to do a per capita in-denial study of Minneapolis neighborhood residents, Northeasterners would surely come out on top.

Considering that the stats on this post show that the two North neighborhoods that border the Lowry bridge/ Bottineau neighborhood (McKinley and Hawthorne) have comparable if not substantially LOWER crime than the Bottineau neighborhood (and the other neighboring lower-crime NE neighborhood of Marshall Terrace also on the Lowry bridge), the data suggests that there's about as much chance that the Lowry bridge has been increasing crime in North Minneapolis coming over from Northeast as there is for the reverse argument.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
What happens if you take total crimes (without larceny) of each community and divide that by the communities entire population. Can we get some community crime/pop totals charted out Camden?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
What happens if you take total crimes (without larceny) of each community and divide that by the communities entire population. Can we get some community crime/pop totals charted out Camden?
Oh, you mean like an area's total crimes (e.g. Central, Philips, Southwest, etc)/ total area population as opposed to the individual neighborhoods? I'd be interested to see that also (some website or individual published something similar to this sometime last year - it got some press but I found the results a little questionable) - I'll find some time sometime in the next few days to do/ post this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul