Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:20 AM

229 posts, read 691,262 times

Advertisements

I will probably be moving to the twin cities within the next year. I was wondering what are the nicest suburbs? I am looking for good schools and newer houses. I am willing to pay up to $800,000 for a house. Someone I know told me maple grove fits the bill, but is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 09:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I wouldn't put Maple Grove in the 'nicest' suburbs if you are looking in the $800,000 range. I would look to Wayzata in that price range on the west side of the cities and Mahtomedi on the east side of the cities. Where will you be working?

There are developments in many suburbs that are very nice and are in great schools. Cobblestone in Apple Valley, Evermore in Rosemount, Steeplechase in Eagan, several in Lakeville. Then you could go out to Stillwater, Eden Prairie, etc.

What activities are your kids in? Most people tend to look for districts with strong programs that their kids are involved in and go from there.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:08 PM

138 posts, read 627,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I wouldn't put Maple Grove in the 'nicest' suburbs if you are looking in the $800,000 range. I would look to Wayzata in that price range on the west side of the cities and Mahtomedi on the east side of the cities. Where will you be working?

There are developments in many suburbs that are very nice and are in great schools. Cobblestone in Apple Valley, Evermore in Rosemount, Steeplechase in Eagan, several in Lakeville. Then you could go out to Stillwater, Eden Prairie, etc.

What activities are your kids in? Most people tend to look for districts with strong programs that their kids are involved in and go from there.
Maple Grove is an excellent city and has many houses that are in the $800,000 price range. You will fnd many homes that are 10 years and less. You will also find many homes that are currently under construction. You will be proud to live in this wonderful city. It has everything that your family could want.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:46 PM

229 posts, read 691,262 times
I will be working at the Abbott Northwestern Hospital. My kids really like sports, and I am hoping to find somewhere with lots of sport programs. Commute time isn't too much of a concern, as long as it isn't over an hour each way. My wife is still looking for a job as an orthodontist.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:20 PM

30 posts, read 191,007 times
maple grove or wayzata schools. i will take wayzata anyday. Plymouth is the place to live and the price you are willing to pay anywhere. Maple grove has budget problems in its schools and can't keep class sizes down.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMaster View Post
I will be working at the Abbott Northwestern Hospital. My kids really like sports, and I am hoping to find somewhere with lots of sport programs. Commute time isn't too much of a concern, as long as it isn't over an hour each way. My wife is still looking for a job as an orthodontist.
I would say Edina or Eagan-in the 196 district-there are 3 districts in Eagan- would be good places to start. Both have excellent schools, good sports programs, etc. What specific sports and how old are your kids? That will help narrow it down even more.

Mendota Heights is another option.

There is no need to drive an hour in the metro to find a nice area to live with excellent schools so you can concentrate on areas near Abbott. MN is fairly unique in that almost all of the school districts are very good and you don't have one or two areas where 'everyone' wants to live.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:53 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
I looked on the MLS in the 750-900k range to see what areas had alot of homes. Here were the places where I noticed alot:

-Minnetonka
-Wayzata
-White Bear Lake
-Eden Prairie
-Prior Lake
-Edina
-SW Minneapolis/chain of lakes area
-Maple Grove
-Woodbury
-West Lakeland Tnshp (I've never heard of this place but there are a ton, anyone know why?)
-Troy tnshp, WI (same thing, never heard of the place but a bunch of high priced homes)

Old 09-29-2008, 08:41 AM

989 posts, read 2,961,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMaster View Post
I will probably be moving to the twin cities within the next year. I was wondering what are the nicest suburbs? I am looking for good schools and newer houses. I am willing to pay up to $800,000 for a house. Someone I know told me maple grove fits the bill, but is that true?
800 will get you in most anywhere you want to live. Traffic is a concern for many people. Depending the area you select, you could be looking at 15 minutes to over an hour each way.

Being that you have great flexibility, the very nicest of burbs is in your reach.

North Oaks - considered by many to be the most exclusive, used to be gated. Very Very nice.

Edina - older burb, but some recent knockdowns have created new houses. Very solid Schools.

Deephaven, Wayzata, Orono, Minnetonka, Long Lake. Lakefront can be had. There are a lot of burbs out that way.

Dellwood, Mahtomedi, Stillwater - nice if you don't mind being 45 to a hour minutes away from work. Tends to be more of a rural feel and somewhat laid back. Schools are also excellent.

Others have mentioned Eden Prairie, Eagan, Maple Grove. I would suggest these are good areas, but you can get into a nice newer home for $500K give or take. I would add Shoreview and Woodbury, and Apple Valley to that list as similar type areas.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I looked on the MLS in the 750-900k range to see what areas had alot of homes. Here were the places where I noticed alot:

-Minnetonka
-Wayzata
-White Bear Lake
-Eden Prairie
-Prior Lake
-Edina
-SW Minneapolis/chain of lakes area
-Maple Grove
-Woodbury
-West Lakeland Tnshp (I've never heard of this place but there are a ton, anyone know why?)
-Troy tnshp, WI (same thing, never heard of the place but a bunch of high priced homes)
West Lakeland Township is between Stillwater and Woodbury, roughly County Road 15 and 94. It was an area that developed a lot of 2+ acre lots and pretty high end homes. There are some nice areas out there. You won't find much there under $800,000.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:32 AM

56 posts, read 244,613 times
Default Edina, Wayazata, Minnetonka

I will be honest with you. I never heard about 800k for home in my entire life. If thats the range you can put in, then Edina, Wayazata, Minnetonka are the places I know. These are the places that have home cost around your range mostly I know. I do not know about other places range. And all these three places stands on top when it comes to education, sports and activites for kids. Thats my opinion and thats what I know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul