U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 12:39 AM

394 posts, read 1,445,276 times

Advertisements

Why does my car stink. Like rotten eggs. Is something wrong with it? Should I do something to fix it?

PLS help. thanks everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,637 times
Where does it smell? is it the inside or the outside? it might be your battery. Usually when batteries go bad, they put out a really foul smell... like rotten eggs.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:49 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,196,968 times
It's your catalytic converter being overwhelmed with too much un-burned fuel when you mash the gas. Back off a little and it won't smell so much.

I've found that most cars, even brand new cars, have this problem when you drive the crap out of them because emissions standards don't include testing at wide-open-throttle (which enriches the fuel-air mixture to avoid misfiring cylinders). Therefore, manufacturers use slightly under-sized catalytic converters in order to save money.

On the other hand, you might have a defective catalytic converter (covered by US law with a 100,000 mile warranty--see the dealer), a problem with your fuel system, or possibly even a clogged air filter. Give it a nice tune-up with a new air filter, new spark plugs, and an oil change (if it's due), and see if it improves somewhat.

And slow down--drive as if every gallon is the last gallon on earth, because one day...

(P.S. Don't neglect your automatic transmission, which in most cars, needs a fluid change every 30-60,000 miles for $120 or so, unless you prefer the alternative, a rebuilt transmission for $1500 or so. Check your owner's manual for the proper service interval, and use the "severe service" recommendation, because virtually all MN driving is considered "severe service.")

Old 10-02-2008, 05:54 PM

394 posts, read 1,445,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
It's your catalytic converter being overwhelmed with too much un-burned fuel when you mash the gas. Back off a little and it won't smell so much.

I've found that most cars, even brand new cars, have this problem when you drive the crap out of them because emissions standards don't include testing at wide-open-throttle (which enriches the fuel-air mixture to avoid misfiring cylinders). Therefore, manufacturers use slightly under-sized catalytic converters in order to save money.

On the other hand, you might have a defective catalytic converter (covered by US law with a 100,000 mile warranty--see the dealer), a problem with your fuel system, or possibly even a clogged air filter. Give it a nice tune-up with a new air filter, new spark plugs, and an oil change (if it's due), and see if it improves somewhat.

And slow down--drive as if every gallon is the last gallon on earth, because one day...

(P.S. Don't neglect your automatic transmission, which in most cars, needs a fluid change every 30-60,000 miles for $120 or so, unless you prefer the alternative, a rebuilt transmission for $1500 or so. Check your owner's manual for the proper service interval, and use the "severe service" recommendation, because virtually all MN driving is considered "severe service.")
Very helpful, thanks.

Its a 1995 Blazer, so its old,wiht 170,000 miles.

I have had the cadalytic converter replaced 2 yrs ago. and a whole new fuel system within the past year. I dont drive like a crazy man, especially since i rarely drive.

I think it is the converter that buzzes too underneath when i hit the gas sometimes...

Old 10-03-2008, 02:15 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,196,968 times
Hmmm. The buzzing could be a loose heat shield, or it could be the catalyst material inside the converter rattling. I'd suggest calling, or bringing the truck back to the same shop that replaced the converter and seeing if there's a warranty on the part.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul