Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:58 AM

802 posts, read 2,265,217 times

Advertisements

I'm a Twin Cities native, but I haven't lived there for almost a decade. I'm coming back for a visit soon with my wife and would like to go out to some nice restaurants while I'm in town. We're foodies and have pretty eclectic palates. If there are some places that are uniquely "Minnesotan" in character, that would be cool. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 03:25 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
You still have the old downtown restaurants like Manny's and Murray's. Spoonriver opened by the new Guthrie on 2nd Street, I have heard that was good but know nothing about it. I really like Pop! (Johnson Street) and Pop!! (Downtown Saint Paul); a good menu but without alot of the pretense. I always enjoy their Walleye Sandwich.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:57 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,916 times
If you havent been here for a decade you'll likely be amazed at the improvement in restaurants. Rick Nelson writes a lot of great columns on local restaurants in the Star-Trib, I'd do a search on Google to see if you can read his columns.

Otherwise:

Downtown:
121 Eatery: 121 N 3rd Street : great bistro
Solera: 9th &Henn (Spanish tapas)
Oceanaire: Hyatt Regency (seafood)
Sapor: Wash Ave N & 5th Ave: another great bistro

Uptown & SW Mpls:
There are lots of nice little neighborhood restaurants (ALL are recommended)
Cafe Maude: 54th & Penn
Cafe Ena: 46th & Grand Latin cuisine
Rice Paper: 43rd & Upton
Tum Rup Thai: Lake & Fremont Thai
Chaing Mai Thai: Thai
Rainbow: 28th & Nicollet: great Chinese
Peninsula: 26th & Nicollet: great Malaysian/Thai

SE Mpls:

I forget the name, but there's an outstanding Japanese restaurant along Como, just east of 15th St, which is very inexpensive and has great tempura, noodle soups and bento boxes

Midora's Floating World Cafe
Located along 27th Ave, just south of Lake Street, this is another nice local Japanese place, with great noodle soups and tempura (they also have sushi, but I've been into sushi)

Hopefully that will get you started

Old 10-07-2008, 02:27 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
The best place I've eaten at lately was Fasika on Snelling Ave in St. Paul just a few blocks north of University Ave, if you happen to be in the mood for excellent authentic Ethiopian cuisine. Entrees there range from 8.50-22.50.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:31 PM

250 posts, read 992,012 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nye's in NE Mpls. Not only was it ranked the #1 bar in America by Esquire last year, it's a really good (in my opinion) restaurant! Where else do you get a "relish tray" and rye bread and butter with your meals? The fried shrimp, chicken kiev, pierogies, and other Polish delicacies are great! And who can resist the scalloped potatoes as the potato choice?

Of course, this place was here when you lived here, but it's still hard to beat it as a Minnesota Staple (or uniquely Minnesotan). Enjoy your outings, wherever they may be!

Old 10-07-2008, 03:35 PM

419 posts, read 1,396,844 times
Glad to see Sapor mentioned. When my husband and I have spent weekends in the cities, we've also enjoyed the Corner Table which makes use of a lot of locally produced food.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Maske View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nye's in NE Mpls. Not only was it ranked the #1 bar in America by Esquire last year, it's a really good (in my opinion) restaurant! Where else do you get a "relish tray" and rye bread and butter with your meals? The fried shrimp, chicken kiev, pierogies, and other Polish delicacies are great! And who can resist the scalloped potatoes as the potato choice?

Of course, this place was here when you lived here, but it's still hard to beat it as a Minnesota Staple (or uniquely Minnesotan). Enjoy your outings, wherever they may be!
Wait a minute. That bar is MN??? I saw that article in Esquire. I thought they were talking about a bar in Chicago or NY. Wow. Now I'm going to check it out.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:46 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
On "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern" he went to some weiner place in Minneapolis. What was it called?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:31 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Kramarczuk's on East Hennepin. You can hit Nye's and this on the same street.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:06 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
I just found another good inexpensive restaurant. Check out Las Ranas Mexican restaurant on 18th and Nicollet. It's family oriented (no alcohol) and you can get great seafood dishes for under $15. Most of the dishes are under $10. I've eaten there twice now and it has been excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul