Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 07:12 PM

10 posts, read 28,566 times

Advertisements

Hello - My partner and I are considering moving to Minneapolis next spring and would appreciate some advice on which neighborhoods to consider in terms of looking for a house. We generally prefer older, Craftsman/Victorian/Shingle style architecture, in neighborhoods with leafy, tree-lined streets, decent-sized yards, and friendly neighbors. Ideally, we would be able to walk to some local cafes, restaurants, shops, etc. rather than having to drive everywhere. So, does anyone have a suggestion about what neighborhood(s) to consider, AND, would you have a referral for a talented and personable gay real estate agent?

Many thanks -
Stu & Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 07:31 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubarr View Post
Hello - My partner and I are considering moving to Minneapolis next spring and would appreciate some advice on which neighborhoods to consider in terms of looking for a house. We generally prefer older, Craftsman/Victorian/Shingle style architecture, in neighborhoods with leafy, tree-lined streets, decent-sized yards, and friendly neighbors. Ideally, we would be able to walk to some local cafes, restaurants, shops, etc. rather than having to drive everywhere. So, does anyone have a suggestion about what neighborhood(s) to consider, AND, would you have a referral for a talented and personable gay real estate agent?

Many thanks -
Stu & Eric
Don't know of any offhand, but in the past I've seen RE agents advertise themselves as being helpful to gay clients in the Twin Cities. Check into Lavender, a gay newspapaer, or City Pages, and alternative weekly. Both have lots of RE advertisements. The kind of housing you are looking for can be found in many South Mpls neighborhoods like Uptown, Seward and Prospect Park (but most have city size yards (40-40ft)--not what people from the burbs would consider "decent-sized". Also, "Nordeast" is gentrifying from white working class to young bohemian in many areas. Lots of old architecture there.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:31 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubarr View Post

Many thanks -
Stu & Eric
Maybe the attached picture is something of what you had in mind? (the sign is made by MN's main GLBT lobby). This is a typical site in the Camden area of Minneapolis and was taken not far from my house in the Victory neighborhood - home to lots of progressive liberals living in well-kept older homes on leafy tree-lined streets. The neighborhood does have a lot of gay couples and has even been noted in a few publications (those 'welcome to minneapolis guide to neighborhoods' type of things, lavender, etc.) as gay-friendly, or the latest term I've heard - a "gayborhood". It's very quiet and safer than other similar-in-housing-stock counterparts in Minneapolis like Seward and Longfellow (and other South and NE Mpls neighborhoods). There is also a little business community here that includes a coffee shop, cafe, italian-american restaurant, and neighborhoody-upscale dining all in one neighborhood business node (as well as tailors/ dry cleaners, neighborhod office, masseuses, barbers, arts-oriented business, community theatre (http://www.workhousetheatre.org/site/index.php - broken link), etc.).

It's a friendly area (see this thread which talks more at length about this neighborhood in relation to some of your questions) and, in general, is more affordable than its South Mpls counterparts for a couple of reasons: (1) it's less-prestigious "north" address; and (2) by virtue of the fact that some of the surrounding neighborhoods have been hit by the foreclosure crisis - this has caused housing market values in the area at large to take a big tumble, and although Victory has held its own fairly well during the 'foreclosure crisis' (the foreclosures we've had seem to be selling pretty steadily), it has also been impacted by a decrease in housing values as well.

Because of the above-mentioned "issues", some very civic-minded GLBT activists (Camden Gay Neighbors League/ GLBT Northsiders) have initiated and sponsored the Get to NOMI Homebuyers Tour (http://www.startribune.com/homes/28142374.html?elr=KArksLckDiUvckDiUiacyKUnciatkEP7 DhU - broken link). You can find direct contact information for them (and likely a good realtor referral of which there are quite a few that live in the area) at their blogspot: glbtnorthsiders.blogspot.com. Good luck with your search and relocation!
Attached Thumbnails
Charming, gay-friendly Minneapolis neighborhood, plus real estate agent referral?-justfair.jpg  

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 10-12-2008 at 05:49 PM..

Old 10-12-2008, 10:34 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Stubarr, check the PM I sent you.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:51 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Look in Highland Park or somewhere around Grand Avenue and Summit Avenue. It fits your bill. Also, look in Uptown, it's Minneapolis' more bohemian area and it has great shops.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Look in Highland Park or somewhere around Grand Avenue and Summit Avenue. It fits your bill. Also, look in Uptown, it's Minneapolis' more bohemian area and it has great shops.
I didn't recommend Highland because we don't have any "Craftsman/Victorian/Shingle style" architecture, which the OP says he is looking for. These is some in Mac-Groveland and Merriam Park, though.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:58 PM

120 posts, read 470,556 times
Default Uptown may be charming....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
But, I wouldn't put it in the "bohemian" category, unless you're referring to 20+ years ago. Nothing really special/unique as far as shops go but some great restaurants. I would say Northeast/North are the new bohemian areas in Mpls.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:29 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times
Welcome guys!

Someone mentioned Lavender Magazine and I'd second that. Here's a link to their website. Here's a link to their advertisers. (http://www.lavendermagazine.com/classifieds-yellow-pages/advertiser-index/ - broken link) Scroll down for Real Estate agents. The magazine itself is big, glossy and well-produced and there are lots of ads for real estate agents.

Regarding neighborhoods, Camden, NE and Uptown were mentioned. Good ideas, all.

I'd also add the Linden Hills Neighborhood. (Another website about it is here.)

Another area is 50th & France. The Wikipedia article is here. The neighborhood's association website is here (http://www.50thandfrance.com/home.html - broken link). It's a bit further from downtown Minneapolis - actually it is in the upscale suburb of Edina - but it's not too far out. And the houses there do date from the early/mid 20th-Century.

There is also Tangletown, with the prominent, gay-owned business Tangletown Gardens. The neighborhood has a real estate guide here.

Yet another interesting area is Bryn Mawr. Close to downtown and lots of craftsman-era homes. The Wikipedia entry is here.

St. Paul is a great place too. To those areas already mentioned I'd add the neighborhoods on either side of Grand Avenue. The street itself has tons of great shops and restaurants while the adjoining neighborhoods are really quite nice.

And actually, most streets in Minneapolis & St. Paul are leafy and tree-lined.

Good Luck! And let me know if you want more connections to the GLBT communities here!

Last edited by Astron1000; 10-13-2008 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-15-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil45 View Post
But, I wouldn't put it in the "bohemian" category, unless you're referring to 20+ years ago. Nothing really special/unique as far as shops go but some great restaurants. I would say Northeast/North are the new bohemian areas in Mpls.
LOL, that's right. We aren't too Bohemian in Highland Park! Just a pleasant, low-key city neighborhood with lots of kids, Baby Boomers, 20-somethings and elderly folk. 50 years ago it would have been considered ordinary, but today it is almost unique.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:02 PM

8 posts, read 36,020 times
Welcome, Stu and Eric!

Minneapolis and St. Paul have many great neighborhoods, but I will stick with your requirement of older architecture with good retail areas within walking/biking distance.

Minneapolis: Seward is a nice older area, as is Prospect Park. The Seward neighborhood contains a hidden gem of a street, Milwaukee Avenue. The homes there are beautifully preserved, charming, and close to many local shops and to downtown Minneapolis.

Uptown is a great area, although it's more pricey than Seward or Camden. There are many homes that will meet your criteria, and you will be close to downtown, shopping, and some wonderful lakes.

I grew up in St. Paul, very close to Grand Avenue. The Summit-University neighborhood contains many homes of beautiful Craftsman/Shingle/Victorian architectural style. I would concentrate on the areas between Western Avenue to Lexington Avenue (east to west) and from Grand Avenue to Selby Avenue (north to south).

I would check Lavender magazine for gay-friendly real estate agents.

Again, welcome.

Last edited by jjlava; 10-18-2008 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul