U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2008, 11:58 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
3,940 posts, read 13,979,704 times
Reputation: 2265

Advertisements

Now I bet you hear this all the time, but are Minneapolis winters always so terribly cold? I visited the Twin Cities three times last winter (once in December, twice in January) and each time it was -5 degrees, no sunshine, and a howling wind. Do winters ever get warm (35+ degrees)? Are there may sunny days in winter too? Does the snow ever melt away?

I've visited in summer and fall too and I thought it was absolutely gorgeous. I plan on going to school there in the fall and I just hope I can last the winter!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2008, 04:40 AM
 
20,793 posts, read 57,785,077 times
Reputation: 10628
Well it looks like you timed your trip to hit our only sub-zero days last winter . Generally you can expect 20° on average most of the winter. There is usually a cold blast mid-January that usually is sub-zero for a week and then again in Feb. There is generally a day here and there that will be sub-zero too. You don't often see 35+ on a continual basis but we will have a day here and there with temps like that.

Yes we have plenty of sun in the winter but also with the sun usually comes colder temps. Last winter was the first winter in a LONG time where we had snow on the ground all winter. Growing up we always had snow on the ground winter long.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 06:01 AM
 
31 posts, read 95,026 times
Reputation: 12
Oh sure it gets above 35. Why...just the other day it was ...like...38!

Really...it's all relative. The cold is our secret crimestopper during the winter months. And just think...no mosquitoes!

Yeah...it does get mod cut cold. The coldest day I can remember was around 1991 when we dropped to -32F. It was kind of funny...many vehicles had trouble starting that morning. Mine started just fine...but my brakes went out so I couldn't stop! That was the same year of the Halloween Blizzard. We had over three feet of snow...before Thanksgiving.

Last edited by golfgal; 10-29-2008 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: language
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Mahtomedi, MN
989 posts, read 2,772,759 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Now I bet you hear this all the time, but are Minneapolis winters always so terribly cold? I visited the Twin Cities three times last winter (once in December, twice in January) and each time it was -5 degrees, no sunshine, and a howling wind. Do winters ever get warm (35+ degrees)? Are there may sunny days in winter too? Does the snow ever melt away?

I've visited in summer and fall too and I thought it was absolutely gorgeous. I plan on going to school there in the fall and I just hope I can last the winter!
Winters are long, and plenty cold for most. Days below zero happen a fair amount, but average temps for Jan and Feb are probably in the teens. Also, most really cold days are bright and sunny. Wind can be brutal, but a typical day would be moderate wind. Wind tends to pick up as systems move through. Snow melts by end of march.

First snow that sticks ussually comes in late November or early December, but upon occasion we get a big one early such as the famous halloween storm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 10:14 AM
 
394 posts, read 1,445,520 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Winters are long, and plenty cold for most. Days below zero happen a fair amount, but average temps for Jan and Feb are probably in the teens. Also, most really cold days are bright and sunny. Wind can be brutal, but a typical day would be moderate wind. Wind tends to pick up as systems move through. Snow melts by end of march.

First snow that sticks ussually comes in late November or early December, but upon occasion we get a big one early such as the famous halloween storm.

Winters dont seem that long until about mid February hits. Then March comes and you think its goign to get nice, but March drags, and drags and drags. March is the worst month in MN by far, close behind is Feb. March is a cold, snowy, wet, gray month that should be wiped off the map.

Now until XMAS we shouldnt see too much crazy weather. It doenst even get that cold around xmas-like 20s and 30s.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Mahtomedi, MN
989 posts, read 2,772,759 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
Winters dont seem that long until about mid February hits. Then March comes and you think its goign to get nice, but March drags, and drags and drags. March is the worst month in MN by far, close behind is Feb. March is a cold, snowy, wet, gray month that should be wiped off the map.

Now until XMAS we shouldnt see too much crazy weather. It doenst even get that cold around xmas-like 20s and 30s.

Totally agree that end of winter seems to be a long slow torture. Days are getting longer, snow starts melting, but somehow winter manages to hold on for a while longer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 02:02 PM
 
394 posts, read 1,445,520 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Totally agree that end of winter seems to be a long slow torture. Days are getting longer, snow starts melting, but somehow winter manages to hold on for a while longer.

AHH SO TRUE

You can almost see summer, but you never reach it!! then one day you wake up and its 75 and sunny.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Earth. For now.
1,287 posts, read 1,957,511 times
Reputation: 1544
In Minneapolis, the 2nd sunniest month on average is January. November, December and March are crap, if what you care about is sunshine. But it's all relative. Look at Seattle or Portland .

Amazingly, on an annual average, the Twin Cities have more sunny days than Jacksonville, Milwaukee, West Palm Beach, Philadelphia, Orlando, Honolulu, Houston, Chicago, Miami, Detroit, Washington DC, Cleveland or Seattle!

Last edited by Astron1000; 10-30-2008 at 07:53 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
987 posts, read 3,618,830 times
Reputation: 367
Winter here is useable. Unlike the slushbelt, it gets cold enough for you to play hockey on the lakes or icebike and fish. We have icebike races on the lakes and a newly added icebike loppet during the first weekend on February. The snow stays on the ground long enough so we have a good long ski season.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 11:15 PM
 
394 posts, read 1,445,520 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
In Minneapolis, the 2nd sunniest month on average is January. November, December and March are crap, if what you care about is sunshine. But it's all relative. Look at Seattle or Portland .

Amazingly, on an annual average, the Twin Cities have more sunny days than Jacksonville, Milwaukee, West Palm Beach, Philadelphia, Orlando, Honolulu, Houston, Chicago, Miami, Detroit, Washington DC, Cleveland or Seattle!

I wouldn't trust that site. That was saying that Honolulu had 90 days of sun. So you're telling me that only .28% of the year its sunny in Honolulu?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top