Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:37 AM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times

Advertisements

Seriously. In many parts of the world you can read the bus schedules right off the chart at the bus stops. The bus stops have signs telling you what bus stops there. If I didn't have the internet I wouldn't even know where the busses stop in my neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 08:12 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
They have bus schedules at the major stops, Lake/Cedar, etc. At side street stops usually I just notice a small bus stop sign.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:51 AM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
Yep at some bus stops there are bus stop signs, and maybe a bench. Some places where the bus stops there's nothing. I wish they would do a little better out here in the suburbs.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:51 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
They have bus schedules at the major stops, Lake/Cedar, etc. At side street stops usually I just notice a small bus stop sign.
One of the problems with posting routes at every stop is it creates a big expense to update these everytime a change is made.

Personal opinion on bus stops is that we have 2 to 3 times as many as we should. Stopping every block or every two blocks really adds a lot of extra time and blocks up traffic more than neccesary. There are some people that need to get close to where they are going without walking due to physical challenges. I would like to see something like a Z route where it stops more frequently, but runs less frequently.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:27 AM

57 posts, read 101,894 times
You're right the transportation sector is very limited. I don't know about buses or who takes them but the car services only offer Tahoe's and Towncars.

Most cities offer Mercedes S550's, Escalade's, and even Maybach's when you don't want to drive.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:45 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
One of the problems with posting routes at every stop is it creates a big expense to update these everytime a change is made.

Personal opinion on bus stops is that we have 2 to 3 times as many as we should. Stopping every block or every two blocks really adds a lot of extra time and blocks up traffic more than neccesary. There are some people that need to get close to where they are going without walking due to physical challenges. I would like to see something like a Z route where it stops more frequently, but runs less frequently.
What a lousy idea! I take it you don't ride. FYI, Metro Transit has closed dozens of stops in St Paul (including the one I used to get board my bus in the morning, and the one in front of my work place). I'm in great shape, but why should I have to walk an extra four blocks a day becuase it "blocks traffic" for you. I guess I could suggest the streets that have bus lines on them should have all car traffic banned from them so my bus ride would be quicker. Come on man, we live in a CITY. Gotta share!!

Old 10-17-2008, 10:42 PM

638 posts, read 3,122,950 times
I have to agree with the OP that there are places in the burbs that have very lousy service or no service at all. And a person does have to have access to the internet; OR be able to catch a bus and go to some hub station to get bus schedules there.

We moved to our present location because there was a bus stop (with a direct line downtown) at the end of our block. My hubby got into a car pool for work; and within 2 years ALL of the buses here were canceled and none of these bus routes have been re-established even though we got many signatures on a number of petitions for bus lines.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:46 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
What a lousy idea! I take it you don't ride. FYI, Metro Transit has closed dozens of stops in St Paul (including the one I used to get board my bus in the morning, and the one in front of my work place). I'm in great shape, but why should I have to walk an extra four blocks a day becuase it "blocks traffic" for you. I guess I could suggest the streets that have bus lines on them should have all car traffic banned from them so my bus ride would be quicker. Come on man, we live in a CITY. Gotta share!!
Actually I have been a rider and did so every day for 5 years, but I car pool with my wife now. If the stop was 4 blocks apart, you would walk two blocks max. I actually walked 5 blocks to the stop, which is not bad in my opinion. As a rider it took 20-25 minutes to get downtown, but it could have been 15 or less if the bus did not stop every freaking block. You can walk two extra blocks and still save time because the extra stops add more time to a trip. There are people that can't make the extra distance, so we would need to keep at least some routes that stop more often.

All I am saying is they could trim up the stops on many routes and it would be less conflict with cars and faster for the riders. What is bad about that?

Realistically cars do not slow down busses as they have the right of way and use it very effectively.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:39 AM

394 posts, read 1,518,304 times
I dont believe public transportation is that horrid. There has been a vast surge since 2000, and the MEt Coucil has gone great dstances to provide more and better. The hinderance is public approval and MONEY. Alternatives to personal commuting are tough and expensive.-who REALLY, REALLY wants to carpool, ride-share, bus, to work? Nowadays, people have hectic lives. Mom may have to jump out of work early to get the kid out of school to go to the orthodontist. Or go to practice or get groceries..This simply cannot be done with transit.period. It doesnt mean that mom cant take the bus to work 2 days a week, whcih would be btter on CO2 emissions and congestion.

Our society is SO dependent on the automobile. Think about how much of an impact it has on our lives. Its something taht the average american family pays 15,000$ a year for per vehicle including maintenance, taxes, fees, gas, insurance.etc. Our world we live in has been built around cars-Cars were an everyday commodity since about 1920s. Much of the metro has been built post WWII and have catered to cars.

A full blown transit system will really show the impacts and benefits. This means connectivity between busses, to transit stops, to light rail stations to park and rides. I know the SW metro has a hub near 212 in EP and Maple Grove does too. This helps those in the outer burbs drive to the station, hop on a bus and go to DT MPLS for work. It allows for coffee, paper, music , relaxation. This may relieve stress in our lives, making a more healthy lifestyle for all..

Old 10-22-2008, 08:30 AM

394 posts, read 1,518,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Seriously. In many parts of the world you can read the bus schedules right off the chart at the bus stops. The bus stops have signs telling you what bus stops there. If I didn't have the internet I wouldn't even know where the busses stop in my neighborhood.
Its not that bad, I was in San Diego and they dont even have signs for bus schedules, you just look for the group of people waiting/looking bored.

In Las Vegas, I stopped at the stop and asked "when is the next bus coming to go to the strip?" And everyone replied "i dont know-10, maybe 15 minutes"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul