Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,630 times

Advertisements

I move to a suburb outside Minneapolis in the summer 06 and I am looking forward to the day I can move out of this state!!!!!!!
Th people are "Minnesota Nice" for one day, then they ignore you!! Even at the school bus.
The educational system has so many immigrants that the level of expected competence is rather low. COMPETION IS DISCOURAGED!
So far I have not found anything positive about MN.
Also seems regarding mental issues for MN, they are not to bright, but they think that they smarter than most.
So far nothing appealling in MN, except the highways headed east.

Last edited by pggerson; 02-16-2007 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: grammer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 04:24 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pggerson View Post
I move to a suburb outside Minneapolis in the summer 06 and I am looking forward to the day I can move out of this state!!!!!!!
Th people are "Minnesota Nice" for one day, then they ignore you!! Even at the school bus.
The educational system has so many immigrants that the level of expected competence is rather low. COMPETION IS DISCOURAGED!
Also seems regarding mental issues for MN, they are not to bright, but they think that they smarter than most.
Just curious, which suburb is so full of immigrants that they are pulling down the competence levels of the schools? I know that Competition is NOT discouraged at our schools, that is for sure. Minnesota ranks the highest in the nation for their educational system and yes, there are some districts that are not as good as others but for the most part they are better then the rest of the country. I know our high school scores and average of 5 points higher on the ACT then the national average, which for that test is HUGE. I guess I must be one of the people that aren't too bright because your comment about metal issues in MN escapes me, are you saying the mental health professionals in the state don't understand their profession?

Old 02-16-2007, 04:33 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,760,169 times
the irony is that you used "to" instead of "too" when pointing out your perceived low level of intelligence in this state, and edited your post for "grammer"

Old 02-17-2007, 06:09 AM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,439 times
I've always found it a little disingenuous when an American complains about immigrants. Ah, the difference a few years makes...

Robert

Old 02-17-2007, 10:32 PM

132 posts, read 576,534 times
Can't say I have spent a lot of time in MN yet, as I've just visited for family in the past, but I believe Minneapolis-St. Paul was ranked "most literate city" (I know, it's really two cities lol) in America.

www.uww.edu/npa/cities (broken link)

Old 02-17-2007, 11:38 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,760,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert P Stewart View Post
I've always found it a little disingenuous when an American complains about immigrants. Ah, the difference a few years makes...

Robert

Its pretty funny that a country that was founded and has its roots based on immigration suddenly has so many people complaining about it, isnt it?

Old 02-20-2007, 07:47 AM

201 posts, read 905,749 times
Quote:

You want to switch? You can come live in Norfolk, VA, which is right on the Atlantic Ocean (cant go any further east then that), and Ill go to Minnesota.

Give me a call when you are working for $10 an hour and living in a 500 sqft house in the ghetto (the real ghetto, not the Minnesota suburb "ghetto"). Tell me about how great it is.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 17,219 times
Default What?

Quote:
Hi,

I am from NJ and relocated here in December. I miss the east coast but I am being open minded and giving Minnesota a try. I think the people are very nice but more shy than the east coast. It takes time and I have many people to be very helpful on this site. As for your message I think you are giving people from the east coast a bad name and your are being very degrading. So, since you obviously miss the east coast, I am going to remind you of the east coast and tell you how rude and obnoxious your post was. Maybe you would not hate the state so much if you had an open mind and gave yourself some time. Don't fly off the handle when people here are trying to help you. Maybe you should recant your post and try some tact and apology would not hurt or maybe some clarification. One other thing that I noticed was that you complain about the level of intelligence in MN and I noticed that your post had some incomplete sentences and missing words. Maybe you should have proof read. Hope you are satisfied for insulting a bunch of innocent people.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:39 PM

117 posts, read 377,507 times
Quote:
Then Get Out!
the sooner the better.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:10 PM

17 posts, read 71,476 times
I'm sorry that you're unhappy with the environment in MN. While it does have its growing pains, it is overall a very nice place and the residents have many good reasons to be proud.

I spent 20 years in the Twin Cities and while there is much more diversity there today, if you want immigrant problems, you can try either coast or South FL, where I am. Down here, you're lucky if you find someone who speaks English, and luckier still if you can get a job without being bilingual. People here put up signs on the road and on their bumpers that read "English Only."

Maybe some people you met weren't too friendly, but most are very accomodating and helpful. In South Florida, customer service is almost non-existent, compared to MN, and many people are downright rude (especially when behind the wheel).

Minnesota is in the top five in education and several public schools have won blue ribbons of honor. Every year dozens of students from MN go to the National History Day or Science competitions and the state SAT and ACT averages are very high. If you know anything about the average public school condition in most large American cities, this is something to be proud of!

The Twin Cities are second only to Washinton DC (tied with Boston) in percentage of adults with college degrees. Most communities offer evening ESL classes for free or low cost and some even provide ESL tutor training.

I met many immigrants in the Twin Cities in service jobs whose understanding of English was very strong, especially since they had been in the country only a few years at most.

It's unfortunate that you'll be leaving with bad memories but I hope you find happiness wherever life takes you next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul