Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 AM

394 posts, read 1,518,424 times

Advertisements

Inner city land values (open land) are going to be come more valuable, especially in the next few years soon as this housing mess settles down. I think the general tend is people wanting to be in the "city" or in our case the "cities". Young professionals are moving to more urban areas and staying there and starting a family. Brooklyn Park somehow doesn't seem like this. It is a pretty old city, with many homes built in the 1950s and 1960s. I don't if I would bother much by Brooklyn Blvd and Zane. 610 has brought in new homes and retail development of stores like Cub. The city borders the Mississippi and has nice areas around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
Inner city land values (open land) are going to be come more valuable, especially in the next few years soon as this housing mess settles down. I think the general tend is people wanting to be in the "city" or in our case the "cities". Young professionals are moving to more urban areas and staying there and starting a family. Brooklyn Park somehow doesn't seem like this.
Agreed - and I think this is already happening to an extent. And quite frankly, I don't know why anyone would choose a suburb when you can find many affordable homes in nice areas of Minneapolis right now.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Agreed - and I think this is already happening to an extent. And quite frankly, I don't know why anyone would choose a suburb when you can find many affordable homes in nice areas of Minneapolis right now.

Definitley. I worked in Fridley this summer, and its remarkable how many open lots are there and open acres for developers to develop. Price is the obvious reason/taxes, but I think there should be a "build it and they will come" attitude. Many people say they wouldnt live in this type of community, however the opportunity for a new home close to DT Mpls and the rest of TC, I would imagine it is more desirable than outter areas

Old 10-30-2008, 11:35 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
Inner city land values (open land) are going to be come more valuable, especially in the next few years soon as this housing mess settles down. I think the general tend is people wanting to be in the "city" or in our case the "cities". Young professionals are moving to more urban areas and staying there and starting a family. Brooklyn Park somehow doesn't seem like this. It is a pretty old city, with many homes built in the 1950s and 1960s. I don't if I would bother much by Brooklyn Blvd and Zane. 610 has brought in new homes and retail development of stores like Cub. The city borders the Mississippi and has nice areas around there.
That was also the mentality I carried when I purchased a home in Minneapolis. I know the market is shot right now but it is still just discouraging to me that there is a perfectly good duplex for sale on my block for $115,000. Are you kidding me!? If that thing won't sell I don't know what will right now.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:46 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,487 times
Quote:
Can I snowmobile out of my garage to the trails if I live within the Minneapolis city limits?

Old 10-30-2008, 11:52 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,760,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
That was also the mentality I carried when I purchased a home in Minneapolis. I know the market is shot right now but it is still just discouraging to me that there is a perfectly good duplex for sale on my block for $115,000. Are you kidding me!? If that thing won't sell I don't know what will right now.
there is a stucco duplex located right next to Matt's thats selling for $70k

Old 10-30-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Can I snowmobile out of my garage to the trails if I live within the Minneapolis city limits?
has there been enough snow in the last 5 winters to even merit the purchase of a snowmobile?

Old 10-30-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
there is a stucco duplex located right next to Matt's thats selling for $70k
Ha, if that's the one I think it is I know some of the people who were living there.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
has there been enough snow in the last 5 winters to even merit the purchase of a snowmobile?
No crap, i bought two polaris sport 440s for fun in 2002. Used them about 8 times ever because i cant afford to load them up and drive to the UP or norther MN every weekend. needless to say they are sold now.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:11 PM

989 posts, read 2,960,967 times
Quote:
Clifford, the #5 bus line services my neighborhood in the NW corner of Mpls - I am inclined to ask, are you were referring to #5 bus service in Brooklyn Park specifically or the entire route itself?

To the OP - I have never lived in B.P. but I have several friends that grew up and went to school there, all very well adjusted professional adults that lived on nice, manicured, tree-lined streets full of middle class if not upper middle class homes. An extra bonus for persons that live, work, and/or were raised in Brooklyn Park - there is actually diversity there, and in all senses of the word.

I think in general persons that choose to live/ reside or raise their families in B.P. tend to be liberal, familiar with the North Metro, and not as stuffy or afraid to live around persons of color or persons in lower income brackets than themselves (although there are some pretty pricey neighborhoods there like you mentioned). If they did really care about this, they could find similarly priced homes in the southern Metro where they could be completely surrounded by white people of their income bracket for miles (although it does seem that there is getting to be a somewhat fair amount of diversity in places like Eagan, Apple Valley, even Eden Prairie).
5 bus goes from mall of america to fity something ave in BP. Without making this about race, income, or political views, I was just trying to say if you go north of where the 5 bus route ends, you will find that crime is less of an issue in fact not much of an issue. I have never lived in BP either, but I do have several close friends that I visit fairly often.

The entire route seems to have issues, in fact, some of the more visible incendents occured in south minneapolis such as a man being killed as a result of being punched in the face and falling, and bus patrons being robbed with a shotgun near a 5 bus stop.

The 5 bus travels through Richfield, East Bloomingtoon, and South Minneapolis in addition to North Minneapolis and BP. Diversity is not scarce in any of these areas and I am certianly not saying diversity equals crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul