Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 08:52 AM

4 posts, read 10,059 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with commenter above that school is not the perfect solution, and that parents concerned with a well-rounded education will know that in-home education that involves parents and children is just as important a component of education as what any school offers.

I don't see any point in debating the merits of individual schools, because (as I've already said multiple times), different families will come away with different impressions of each based on their own subjective valuation and the life experiences they bring to the table. I only stepped in to this argument because there was a vast amount of misinformation about Blake based on hearsay and some generalized feelings about elitism and a lack of diversity that were basically untrue. Also, there were some mean-spirited comments about me specifically that I felt were both baseless and unprovoked.

Diversity means different things to different people. When you are an ethnic/racial/religious minority, you have to be the diversity in the classroom. Let's face it, with the exception of a few school districts in the state, every school in Minnesota is "mostly white," so finding a "less white" school was never part of the calculus for us. Diversity is not just about numbers, so for us, it became important to select a school that appreciated difference (of all kinds). We found that at Blake and not at Breck. But I concede that this was our personal experience and another minority family could feel the opposite.

Finally, I don't think you can really go wrong with either Blake or Breck. They are both excellent academic institutions and both schools have a fairly strong sense of community. That is probably true of other schools in the Twin Cities, but I can only speak for the two I looked at in detail.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,551 times
Default Decision made!

This thread has been great, and a number of the reviews were really spot on. Having visited both schools, as well as having considered our public school, we chose Breck.

Our humble opinion was that, as some of the reviewers indicated, Blake seemed to be dated both in facilities and culture. As friends who recently switched their child from Blake to Breck suggested to us, Blake seems a little bit more about the parents than the children. Of course this is a little facetious but the point should be clear to most.

Blake teachers didn't seem bad but, that being said, we were a bit more impressed with some of the teachers who we met at our public school than those who we met at Blake. Big cost difference for little apparent difference in quality of teachers. Of course, the class size is smaller at Blake than that in a public school, but that wouldn't have pushed us over the line to Blake. Blake just had a distinct feeling of being underwhelming.

We found Breck to be extremely impressive...like a nice university. The school is beautiful and the teachers seem excited. We had no question that the ones who we met were highly experienced and excited to push children to their learning potential. That in mind, Breck has a much more intense curriculum, and that's not for everyone. Kids are pushed quite hard at Breck and there is a significant amount of homework. I can understand how some might think that it's a bit much. For us, it was exactly what we wanted.

As some other reviewers mentioned, we also like that kids at Breck learn about different religions equally. Great bonus in an ever-more diverse world.

Hope this review helps someone and thanks to everyone here who helped us!

Old 05-06-2016, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,465 times
I don't disagree with the above post by NewSchoolPicked. Breck is a fantastic school. That said, we transferred our daughter to Breck from Blake in middle school and she was very far behind the Breck students in her class. She was doing very well at Blake and so we were quite shocked by how much she struggled at Breck. The academic rigor is Breck is serious and should be considered carefully when choosing. There is a great deal of work at school as well as at home. My suggestion would be either start your kids at Breck or keep them elsewhere. Not the greatest idea to transfer in.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,821 times
Default Very Helpful Discussion

***Full disclosure*** We have had a child at the Blake School for several years. We were also accepted at Breck.

My view on Blake vs. Breck vs. other schools ..... I question the "value" we have received vs. attending public school for "free". However, as many other posters have commented, you need to consider the best fit for YOUR child. After several years of trying to make a "fit" at Blake we are seriously considering changing schools. I wish we had considered open enrolling at other public school districts with strong programs such as Minnetonka (Navigator Program is fantastic opportunity) or Orono vs. our in district choice of Wayzata 284. Wayzata is so busy trying to deal with its ever-expanding enrollment that "gifted" options are nil, which is why we considered private schools in the first place. Overall, the Blake School offers a nice environment with small class sizes and great extras in art/music/PE everyday vs. public school. But I am sure other private schools do as well. The facilities are old and run down and there seems to be a lot of teacher/administrator turnover. We have been disappointed with the academic rigor, or lack thereof, especially in math. Overall, again, so far it hasn't been "worth" it in my opinion. But that is the point ....... as a parent you need to consider your options before enrolling and then again determine if the school continues to be a fit on an on-going basis. I encourage everyone to look at SEVERAL schools (not just Blake and Breck) and to also consider open enrollment options.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,821 times
Default Middle School Transfer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDataacct11 View Post
I don't disagree with the above post by NewSchoolPicked. Breck is a fantastic school. That said, we transferred our daughter to Breck from Blake in middle school and she was very far behind the Breck students in her class. She was doing very well at Blake and so we were quite shocked by how much she struggled at Breck. The academic rigor is Breck is serious and should be considered carefully when choosing. There is a great deal of work at school as well as at home. My suggestion would be either start your kids at Breck or keep them elsewhere. Not the greatest idea to transfer in.
Thanks for this post. Any comments on how the transfer was from a social perspective for your child?

Old 10-02-2016, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,128 times
+1 for Breck. I don't know if these schools are still viewed as comparable but, despite it having been said here so many times already, I chose Breck for my kids and have been thrilled with the decision. I can't add much that hasn't been said already but, after comparing Blake and Breck, the choice was straight forward. First reason is for the academics, which are truly world class. The whole approach to child development (diversity, religion, social involvement etc.) can't be beat. Breck really turns out some wonderfully balanced and, frankly, scary smart kids. Don't hesitate!

Old 10-05-2016, 08:05 AM

113 posts, read 276,274 times
I really appreciate all the valuable information in this thread. Can anyone quickly lay out the annual costs between Blake and Breck and maybe Providence, or any other private schools that would be in consideration. Thanks so much!

Old 10-05-2016, 02:18 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veetzvino View Post
I really appreciate all the valuable information in this thread. Can anyone quickly lay out the annual costs between Blake and Breck and maybe Providence, or any other private schools that would be in consideration. Thanks so much!
Tuition usually varies by grade and is on each school's website. Think in terms of 25k a tear for high school at Blake, Breck, Mounds Park, and SPA, 20k a year at Minnehaha or Providence Academy. However it's important to note that all of the major private schools provide significant amounts of financial aid. Select the school and talk to the admissions staff. The school with the highest sticker price might well have a superior aid package available.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,921 times
Breck changed my life and career trajectory. I went from Golden Valley Middle School, which itself was like a private school, to Hopkins North when the districts merged. At GV, it was anticipated that everyone would excel in academics, not simply the "gifted" students, and could do so while remaining an athlete. After a terrible year at Hopkins where I was bored and surrounded by bad influences, I persuaded my parents to send me to Breck. The academics were excellent, particularly science, math, literature and history. I went on to two public universities -- UW Madison and UMN Minneapolis -- for a B.S. and J.D, followed by four years at Columbia University where I taught and paid next to nothing for my degrees. Never would have happened without Breck. I'm a strong believer in public education, but there are exceptions.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:44 PM

13 posts, read 22,137 times
I wonder as the 25k a year is worth it for Blake/Breck versa Minnetonka or Edina schools ? Do they treat the students more respectful than public schools ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul