Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:59 PM

64 posts, read 223,242 times

Advertisements

this is a bit of an old post, but Ill add my 2 cents. I have always had Multiple coats for october - April

Insulated wind breaker. good for spring and fall weather (40's and up)

puffy vest. I wear this when Ill be doing outside activities or as an extra layer. keeps your core warm

Normal winter jacket. not too thick or bulky, but waterproof and breathable. this gets used 99% of the time from November through march

Big old parka. long in length with a hood. this is for those 10 below windy days. paired with my old oversized wool pants, furry hat and Sorels Im all set for anything.

in this state there is no "One" winter coat that does it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:50 PM

207 posts, read 798,783 times
This is interesting...I've heard so much about the cold winters in Minnesota that I wouldn't dream of NOT buying a high quality, seriously warm Canada Goose parka to bring with me when I move there. I will have other less heavy duty coats though, but I'm comforted knowing that I will have my crazy warm parka to insulate me on those bitterly cold days. Note that I'm not that active outdoors in the winter so the above advice to avoid down filled coats probably doesn't apply to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzy View Post
this is a bit of an old post, but Ill add my 2 cents. I have always had Multiple coats for october - April

Insulated wind breaker. good for spring and fall weather (40's and up)

puffy vest. I wear this when Ill be doing outside activities or as an extra layer. keeps your core warm

Normal winter jacket. not too thick or bulky, but waterproof and breathable. this gets used 99% of the time from November through march

Big old parka. long in length with a hood. this is for those 10 below windy days. paired with my old oversized wool pants, furry hat and Sorels Im all set for anything.

in this state there is no "One" winter coat that does it all.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:13 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel_009 View Post
This is interesting...I've heard so much about the cold winters in Minnesota that I wouldn't dream of NOT buying a high quality, seriously warm Canada Goose parka to bring with me when I move there. I will have other less heavy duty coats though, but I'm comforted knowing that I will have my crazy warm parka to insulate me on those bitterly cold days. Note that I'm not that active outdoors in the winter so the above advice to avoid down filled coats probably doesn't apply to me.
When it is a wet, sleeting, freezing rain you will want something that won't get wet.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:01 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I've always got by with a standard wool coat, but did have a big puffy coat for more casual use or heavy-duty time outside. I don't like the puffy coats for normal use, though: too big and puffy when you take them off, you get hot inside or even sometimes while walking around, and they can make one look like a giant walking marshmallow. The wool coat coupled with layers, scarf, hat, and mittens or gloves worked for me for walking to and from school/work/store/bus. I would suggest new arrivals from warmer climates not go overboard, and buy their wardrobe in bits and pieces as they see what they need or don't need. Start with one coat and work from there as needed.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:45 PM

20 posts, read 90,889 times
I appreciated having a down coat my first year here when I moved from GA. Too hot for some people is not too hot for others, and in Northfield at least it gets below -20. The down coat feels like walking outside wrapped in a blanket, and some days that is exactly what I want.

That said, I quickly moved to using a wool coat most days, because down really IS worthless when it gets wet. It's true that it doesn't rain in the winter here, but snow can get you wet if you aren't careful. Wool is my preference these days, layered with fleece.

I can't recommend the turtle fur neck/face warmer highly enough! I wish I had gotten one years ago. It is important to have something to keep the wind off of your cheeks. I would recommend a turtle fur instead of a scarf.

For the hands, I actually prefer the cheepo $2 "magic fit" gloves that are basically like socks for the hands. You can get them at ragstock or the grocery store. They wouldn't be good enough for hiking, but what they do is keep the wind off of your skin without being too bulky to shove your hands in your pockets (where they -really- belong on cold days). I also have a pair of bulky gloves that are super warm, but I hate them because it's hard to do things with my fingers.

They look a little silly, but the hats that have ear flaps that tie below your chin are very nice. Get a knit one lined with fleece for max warmth.

The main thing your daughter will learn about keeping warm is how to layer. Make sure she has one set of long underwear- preferably silk, but thermal is good. And make sure she has waterproof shoes. Big boots aren't necessary, but they need to keep the water out. If she's going to do hiking she should have a pair of insulated boots that come up past the ankle to keep snow out.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:26 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
yes, the more jackets you own -- the better.

best bet is a the layered columbia or northface -- a fleece layer and a wind breaker layer, both come in handy on their own on warmer or wetter days.

People will make fun of you if you are from out of town and show up in a huge long down parka the first time it snows so don't go overboard!

I've not owned a big down parka in years, but I recall them from childhood, bulky and by the time feb rolls around you will be tired of anything bulky. In fact you will be tired of wearing a jacket, which is why I recommend having many jackets to choose from ...I mean, we change our clothes daily, wearing the same jacket every day gets old too..and they do need to be washed!

so I recommend this

1. columbia or north face layered jacked (fleece or filled and wind breaker)
2. wool pea coat or other type of nice non-parka made of wool
3. a down parka that is not too obnoxious looking and you can still move around in

and if you can afford all that you will be good to go! I look for #1 with an inside option that I really like, because I tend to wear that by itself often on days that are sligtly warmer. Often you can get away with part of #1 and a good sweater.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:38 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I have a dress coat for work that has a neoprene lining and a waterproof shell and a Columbia jacket for casual wear. I find that those are sufficient for MN winters. One thing with the Pea coats/wool coats is that they are HEAVY to wear. I don't like wearing them.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:55 PM

202 posts, read 429,417 times
I have about 10-12 jackets currently. Its kind of an obsession with me. I like to have one for all the various climate change we encounter.

On most winter days I can get away with my G1 flight jacket, its a vintage and real so it was meant to keep old school pilots warm. Works great, if its a bit nippy I throw a hoody on underneath. But on those COLDER THEN HELL days I don my down parka. Nothing can penetrate that thing. I like to keep my jackets stylish and classic...not a big fan of the dime a dozen northface/columbia but hey im not judging!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul