Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:57 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,830,543 times

Advertisements

I've heard from a number of folks on this board that they have contacted one of the cities' police departments to get crime information on a neighborhood/ area that they might be looking at, and these persons often recommend that others relocating to a new area do the same.

Allow me to rant for a minute - this whole notion of contacting the local precincts to ask about neighborhoods bothers me quite a bit - IMO police have no business guiding people in their real estate decisions, and a majority of officers in the MPD and St. Paul PD likely live in the suburbs so can't say one way or another what it's like to actually live in the cities themselves. I also feel that people higher up on the chain of command (and city council) wouldn't be too happy if they knew how some of the police officers advise people to "redline" certain neighborhoods. And what's a police officer going to say? Something like "I've got nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs all day" or "there's hardly any crime in a lot of neighborhoods in the area" or "I actually know nothing about that neighborhood, as despite it being in my precinct, we never go or patrol there"? Most likely you're not going to hear this as it would not only call to question their job security, but it would similarly make their jobs seem not as exciting as most officers would like people to believe. And the majority of the Minneapolis Police that I've encountered are so smarmy, cocky, and sarcastic that I wouldn't trust a thing they say anyways.

On another somewhat related note - it is intersting to see how local police's attitudes and behaviors shift depending on what neighborhoods they're in. If I'm on West Broadway all I see from MPD is the typical alpha male, cocky, agressive, and sometimes downright bad behavior, but if my wife are out for a walk in our neighborhood and a cop (from the same precinct) happens to stroll by, we'll get smiles, nods, and waves. Anyone have similar experiences or thoughts about this topic?

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 11-08-2008 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 01:30 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,709 times
The 4th Pct. does get alot of Type A, adrenaline junky officers.
One has to remember what police are, they can tell you about crime. If people are judging the quality of an area based solely upon that, they are making a pretty big mistake in my opinion.
Lastly, it is really beyond me why they still allow Mpls. coppers to live outside the City of Minneapolis; not only is it good for neighborhoods when the people patroling them also live in them, but it allows the city to recoup financially. It only seems logical that if a Mpls. officer pays $2500 in city property taxes, it is no different than saving $2500 in paid salary.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 AM

90 posts, read 359,507 times
No, I think we should undertake all possible efforts to avoid letting people learn anything bad about the cities. Cities good, suburbs bad.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:10 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFrog View Post
No, I think we should undertake all possible efforts to avoid letting people learn anything bad about the cities. Cities good, suburbs bad.
That isn't what Camden was saying at all. All of the crime information for the city of Mpls. is part of the public domain. They actually map it out on the internet. If you want to learn something bad about the City, it is pretty easy to do.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
That isn't what Camden was saying at all. All of the crime information for the city of Mpls. is part of the public domain. They actually map it out on the internet. If you want to learn something bad about the City, it is pretty easy to do.
Thanks Minnehahapolitan - and I guess I don't understand why people feel the need to call and talk in person to an officer that might be biased when it's pretty easy to find all the information/ stats about crime in Minneapolis neighborhoods on the Crime Statistics Maps website. Regarding cops living in Minneapolis, I believe there is a points system that gives someone a slight preference if they live in Mpls, but I do think it would be wise to require officers to live in the city itself for a number of reasons including the ones you mentioned.

And SlyFrog - not only am I not undertaking efforts to avoid letting people learn anything bad about the city, I have done projects on this website that give persons a better picture of how Minneapolis neighborhoods rank comparatively in serious crime, see //www.city-data.com/forum/minne...june-08-a.html. The attachments on this thread essentially give people more and better information than what you will find on most websites that provide aggregate ZIP code level data, much of which is often incorrect, and it takes the MPD/ city website's data a step further in taking population into consideration when looking at neighborhood totals for serious offenses.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:30 PM

90 posts, read 359,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Thanks Minnehahapolitan - and I guess I don't understand why people feel the need to call and talk in person to an officer that might be biased when it's pretty easy to find all the information/ stats about crime in Minneapolis neighborhoods on the Crime Statistics Maps website. Regarding cops living in Minneapolis, I believe there is a points system that gives someone a slight preference if they live in Mpls, but I do think it would be wise to require officers to live in the city itself for a number of reasons including the ones you mentioned.

And SlyFrog - not only am I not undertaking efforts to avoid letting people learn anything bad about the city, I have done projects on this website that give persons a better picture of how Minneapolis neighborhoods rank comparatively in serious crime, see //www.city-data.com/forum/minne...june-08-a.html. The attachments on this thread essentially give people more and better information than what you will find on most websites that provide aggregate ZIP code level data, much of which is often incorrect, and it takes the MPD/ city website's data a step further in taking population into consideration when looking at neighborhood totals for serious offenses.
I have no idea why you have such a concern about people talking with professionals who work in exactly the field they are concerned with (crime). It's up to the individual asking to discount it appropriately if they think all cops are fascist pigs who hate cities or something.

It's odd how people who otherwise appear quite liberal suddenly start getting testy around free speech, free inquiry, and access to information (which includes access to the thoughts of administrations and individuals working for them) in situations like this one.

Why not just let people ask the cops? If they're the types to be frightened away by the horror stories of the police state, they're the types that urbane, sophisticated, hip, bohemian city dwellers don't want living there anyway. If they are urbane, sophisticated, hip, bohemian city dweller types, they either won't ask the cops or they'll completely discount whatever the cops say with a knowing chuckle.

Win-win either way I say.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFrog View Post
I have no idea why you have such a concern about people talking with professionals who work in exactly the field they are concerned with (crime). It's up to the individual asking to discount it appropriately if they think all cops are fascist pigs who hate cities or something.

It's odd how people who otherwise appear quite liberal suddenly start getting testy around free speech, free inquiry, and access to information (which includes access to the thoughts of administrations and individuals working for them) in situations like this one.

Why not just let people ask the cops? If they're the types to be frightened away by the horror stories of the police state, they're the types that urbane, sophisticated, hip, bohemian city dwellers don't want living there anyway. If they are urbane, sophisticated, hip, bohemian city dweller types, they either won't ask the cops or they'll completely discount whatever the cops say with a knowing chuckle.

Win-win either way I say.
Interesting/ valid points - I guess it comes down to a matter of trust and who should be put in a position of authority or trust to act in certain situations. I tend to worry about institutional actors playing an authority role on a topic that they might not be the most qualified/ objective to be doing so, and I'm pretty sure it's not in any police officer's job description or training manual to give consultations to prospective homeowners on area crime. I think this situation also brings up ethical concerns - fair housing legislation prevents those in the real estate profession from making subjective side statements about a neighborhood or area that could act to the detriment of that neighborhood's health and viability, which is generally considered very good/ necessary legislation to anyone that has studied the reality and impact of redlining in the real estate, banking, and insurance industries during the better part of the last century in this country.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:32 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
I personally did not contact anyone from the police department before I bought my house. I don't know if it should be frowned upon, but as long as people know to take it for what it is. Information from a police officer who patrols the neigbhorhood of the property in question is going to be less valuable than the advice of the guy next door who has been living in the neighborhood for 15 years but probably more valuable than your realtor's advice if he lives 45 minutes away.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:28 AM

989 posts, read 2,961,184 times
You may not like what the police have to say, but you can't realistically prevent people from seeking advice. Big difference in providing answers to a questions and taking activist stance pushing a paticular view.

Also, the Internet is a great tool to gather information, but I certianly encourage people to talk to a variety of people in getting a feel for a potential area.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:31 AM

987 posts, read 3,817,961 times
I suppose if you have to ask...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul