Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:40 AM

19 posts, read 83,131 times

Advertisements

So I'm relatively new to the TC area - this will be my first winter here. I've got some friends from out of town coming to visit. I live in the SW burbs, but was thinking of doing something in downtown Mpls. Any suggestions on unique places to hang out or things to do? (Certainly doesn't have to be, but bars are good ... ) I developed a pretty good grasp of what to do around here when the weather is a little nicer, but not sure now that winter is knocking on the door. If it helps, I'm 28 yrs old.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 06:59 PM

394 posts, read 1,518,652 times
Hollidazzle!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 11-20-2008, 07:13 PM

24 posts, read 184,777 times
I second the Hollidazzle! Perfect for a date if you catch some dinner/drinks before or after. Might not be so great for friends who are visiting.

For your friends coming to visit, I'm not sure if you are a male or female, which makes it a bit tought to tailor a suggestion. I'll just throw a few things out there and maybe one will sound good - Bryant Lake Bowl (bowling), Timberwolves game, NE Minneapolis bars, Show at the Guthrie Theater.

Good Luck!

Josh

Old 11-21-2008, 01:02 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,273 times
If you really want to give them a Minnesota experience, go north, rent a cabin and go ice fishing. Bring plenty of Schnapps.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:47 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
If it is snowing and you have a few friends who wouldn't mind,a snowball fight could be fun. You could try cross-country skiing.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:01 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
Minnesota is cold and miserable in winter so I try to find indoor activities. However, besides Mall of America and the Nicollet Mall area there isn't a whole lot to do unfortunately. You could check out a museum such as the Minnesota Science Museum in St. Paul, Weisman and Walker Art museums in Minneapolis. For sports there is the Minnesota Wild in St. Paul and the Minnesota Timberwolves in Minneapolis. Of course there are bars but going out is never as fun in the winter....way too cold.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:34 PM

31 posts, read 101,413 times
You're only 1/2 correct. Minnesota (along with most of thses northern tier states) CAN be cold during the winter. It certainly is not miserable though. It is what you make it. If you say it's "going to suck all winter and I'm going to be miserable", well then by god...you am what you am.

You might suffer from SAD, which is Seasonal Affective Disorder. It comes from the decrease of daylight during these months.

So...just rent a crap-load of movies and we'll see ya in the spring.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:58 PM

394 posts, read 1,518,652 times
Well. Here is what I did last winter.

- Six pack and some pals, air tubes $10, Wal Mart, Snow Hill. I had so much fun. The cold isn't bad when you have a couple layers on and you're running around and being active.

- Ice fishing. If you have a permanent fish house or know someone who does, then its the cat's meow. It's like a small house on the lake, where little fishing actually occurs. It is a great time even without the permanent, although a totally different experience.

- Snowmobiling. Not much to explain but when we actually get snow its a blast.

- Hockey. There are rinks everywhere and most have heating rooms. Grab a coffee and lace up the skates and stick. If you dont know how to skate its not hard to learn and most rinks are empty during the day. At night I usually jump into pick up games for an hour or so.

- Snowboarding - Or skiing, ski hills are pretty accessible in the TC metro. Its pretty affordable if you find the right times to go too.

Other than that, its a lot of movie renting, movie going, reading, working, and working out.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:06 AM

987 posts, read 3,818,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
It's like a small house on the lake, where little fishing actually occurs.
Shhh...

Old 11-28-2008, 03:14 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Ice fishing could be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul