Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:44 AM

19 posts, read 113,498 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My husband and I are trying to decide between buying a house in Farmington vs. Lakeville. It seems like the housing is more expensive in Lakeville (and there isn't much on the market in our price range) but the schools seem to be great. What about Farmington schools? Are they poor? It seems like the dollar goes a bit further in Farmington. Can anyone weigh in? We're a young couple with 2 young children (both under the age of 4).
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 01:34 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
Farmington has a nicer downtown. Besides that, Lakeville is more sought after, has better schools and a more upscale demographic. There is a reason why your money goes farther in Farmington.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:48 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Farmington has a nicer downtown. Besides that, Lakeville is more sought after, has better schools and a more upscale demographic. There is a reason why your money goes farther in Farmington.
I disagree, the Farmington downtown has gone WAY downhill. Lakeville's downtown is much nicer.

The Lakeville schools are better then the Farmington schools however there are parts of Farmington (off Dodd Road) that are actually in the Rosemount, Apple Valley, Eagan schools, which are better than the Lakeville schools so if you can find something you like in Farmington that is in the 196 schools that would be the best way to go.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:02 PM

90 posts, read 359,596 times
EDIT: I'll post this in "About the Forums" in accordance with the site's policies.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:28 PM

106 posts, read 372,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
...there are parts of Farmington (off Dodd Road) that are actually in the Rosemount, Apple Valley, Eagan schools, which are better than the Lakeville schools so if you can find something you like in Farmington that is in the 196 schools that would be the best way to go.
I think it is actually part of Lakeville not Farmington that is in part of the 196 school district. I know Dodd Blvd runs through Lakeville and Apple Valley I don't think it ever goes through Farmington. That's a good suggestion though about getting into the 196 school district and its on the northern end of the lakeville, so closer to the cities.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akronbball View Post
I think it is actually part of Lakeville not Farmington that is in part of the 196 school district. I know Dodd Blvd runs through Lakeville and Apple Valley I don't think it ever goes through Farmington. That's a good suggestion though about getting into the 196 school district and its on the northern end of the lakeville, so closer to the cities.
South of Dodd Road between Pilot Knob and Cedar actually has a Farmington address. Things get a little murky in that area because there are areas on 160th and Cedar that actually have a Rosemount address for some strange reason. The area south of 160th and before Dodd on Cedar is Lakeville but they are part of the Rosemount school boundaries.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:14 PM

106 posts, read 372,924 times
Here is a link to Dakota County's interactive GIS website. It has a political boundaries layer as well as school districts, which makes it easy to see what city and school district a home is located.

Dakota County, MN GIS

Old 12-18-2008, 03:55 PM

19 posts, read 113,498 times
But, does anyone have any facts about the Farmington schools? There doesn't seem to be any solid reasons as to why everyone thinks the schools are so poor there.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNboundmommy View Post
But, does anyone have any facts about the Farmington schools? There doesn't seem to be any solid reasons as to why everyone thinks the schools are so poor there.
I wouldn't say that the Farmington schools are poor, they just aren't as good as the 196 schools and Lakeville and since you are talking a distance of a couple blocks, why not go to the better district. The Farmington schools don't have as high of test scores, they don't have the extensive programing available that you will find in 196 and Lakeville, etc.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,661 times
Farmington is opeing a new High School this year and putting more money into their district. Lakeville is big and a split city, with two high schools. Both are equal (sorta), but its not one Lakeville anymore. Farmington has money, they are just better at spending it. Farmington is also a growing city, with many higher end homes and lower end homes. Farmington would be my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul