Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:50 AM

31 posts, read 101,053 times

Advertisements

Vell...ve halv da Lootefish dinners at da church, ya know.
Gud coffee too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 09:37 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,146,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
Go to youtube, and search "Atmosphere, shh"

Its a song from a group from the Twin Cities. It is a hip hop group, but it isnt the hip hop you would think. Give it a listen. Its a great song that gives MINNESOTA a great name. Listen at the end too, you might hear him say your hometown!
Atmosphere sucks. There is far better hip hop (even on his own label) around the TC. Any true head would know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I don't think so. Most everybody who lives in the TC metro is from here.
Well good for you.

I said that Minneapolis has a huge out of state population. 'Huge' does not mean all, the majority, half or anything close to it; it is just a reference to a good sized chunk of the population. So Chuck, The TC metro could consists of most everybody form here, while at the same time Minneapolis still having a huge out of state population.

Also, I should point out that I am talking solely about Minneapolis, not the TC metro, and definitely not St. Paul.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:42 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,529,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Atmosphere sucks. There is far better hip hop (even on his own label) around the TC. Any true head would know that.
How snobbish.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:31 PM

62 posts, read 172,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
These are the reasons I find the Cities so appealing: the quality of life; diverse job opportunities; the work ethic of the people here; the high emphasis on education and the arts; it's beautiful here; and the community involvement here (it often seems like many small towns rolled into one here if you get involved in volunteering here).
Diverse job opps - yeah, arts - yeah; work ethic - uhhhh NO! I've seen the worst work ethic here than any state I've ever lived in. Education here is overrated by who - people from MN. There aren't any other states screaming OMG, we have to get some MN people here. Never heard of the U of M til I moved here. For some reason, folks here think the U of M is Harvard ~ and it's not.

MN natives seem to think the whole nations eyes is on MN and it's not. People are not clammering to get to here, not even to see the MOA. Sorry, it's just a big mall.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:33 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitra View Post
Diverse job opps - yeah, arts - yeah; work ethic - uhhhh NO! I've seen the worst work ethic here than any state I've ever lived in. Education here is overrated by who - people from MN. There aren't any other states screaming OMG, we have to get some MN people here. Never heard of the U of M til I moved here. For some reason, folks here think the U of M is Harvard ~ and it's not.

MN natives seem to think the whole nations eyes is on MN and it's not. People are not clammering to get to here, not even to see the MOA. Sorry, it's just a big mall.
I want to know why you think this. I fingured the reason people aren't clamoring to move to Mpls is because they want to move to warmer locales like Atlanta, Charlotte, DFW,etc.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veridian View Post
It's not just the biking in the summer, it's how great the biking can be.
The biking is the bomb! I'll give you that!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I want to know why you think this. I fingured the reason people aren't clamoring to move to Mpls is because they want to move to warmer locales like Atlanta, Charlotte, DFW,etc.
It's beyond warmth, it's genuine friendliness. You get that in other places. Heck, I even get people to make eye contact with me in NY of all places. MN, forget about it.

MN natives should have an honest conversation with someone from another part of the country. We like the place, but once you like a place you start searching for friendships with the people. MN people make that hard if not impossible. A huge majority of people in MN have no interest in getting to know anyone other than who they grew up with.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:11 PM

53 posts, read 150,839 times
I wonder where people keep getting this idea. We don't just make up our good points, we cite national publications, independent research, and other facts. Our education usually ranks in the top 10 in the nation, regardless of which statistic is actually numbered, such as percentage of residents with a 2 year, 4 year, or any degree... percentage of residents with a high school diploma... high scores on standardized tests and high literacy rates. We're not just sitting around going "um golly i think we need to make evryun resppeckt us more" and make these things up.

The U of M does have a well known medical research program, and was the place of invention for many common things, such as seat belts. It holds thousands of patents, and has one of the highest student populations (top 5 I believe.) You having never heard of it shows more about your exposure to the outside world than our ability to turn heads nationally.

Everywhere I go (spent at least a week in 15 states and visited 44) there are friendly people and unfriendly people. Generally, the farther you get from a large city, the friendlier they get. I've spent plenty of time in the south and wasn't impressed by southern "hospitality"... much the same way I guess you're not impressed by Minnesota nice. The initial politeness was nice of course, but the lack of genuineness made it all seem fake. When Minnesotans are nice to you, it's real.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitra View Post
It's beyond warmth, it's genuine friendliness. You get that in other places. Heck, I even get people to make eye contact with me in NY of all places. MN, forget about it.

MN natives should have an honest conversation with someone from another part of the country. We like the place, but once you like a place you start searching for friendships with the people. MN people make that hard if not impossible. A huge majority of people in MN have no interest in getting to know anyone other than who they grew up with.
MN isn't the only place. I live in GA and I have had some issues with that too. Not everyone is like that, but I will say this. That is an EVERYWHERE problem. The difference is that in GA, it is common for total strangers to speak to one another. It doesn't mean they want to be friends or anything like that.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:13 PM

45 posts, read 169,849 times
Atmosphere sucks?

I bet better than half the city would disagree with that, despite the fact that we're obviously in the presence of a hip-hop scholar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul