Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 07:01 PM

14 posts, read 60,500 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm moving to Mlps and would like to know where the best neighborhood centers are? For instance, I hear France and 50th is nice. Where is Uptown? Others. I would like to know what you think the top 5 intersections are.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 08:44 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,594,298 times
Uptown is Lake & Hennepin. Other good neighborhood centers are Grand & Victoria, Selby & Western, Sheridan & 43 St(?) (not sure, it's Linden Hills' business district), Ford & Cleveland, Grand & Snelling, Washington & Huron, Snelling & Selby...

Old 12-21-2008, 08:33 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
Most of the intersections Benaround listed are actually in St. Paul, not Minneapolis. Besides uptown, here is my list:
1. Nicollet Mall (Nicollet Ave from Grant St up to Washington Ave in downtown Minneapolis). Go a little further south on Nicollet and you're on eat street (from about 23nd st to 26th st).
2. 38th St and 42nd Ave in Longfellow - home to the Riverview theater, Riverview Cafe and Riverview wine bar.
3. 25th and Central Ave area in NE - Holy Land and a handful of other interesting ethnic restaurants. If you go south to 19th there is an awesome Viatnamese/Chinese restaurant called Kim's.
4. Lake St and Chicago Ave which is home to the Global Market/Midtown exchange building (the historic sears building) and represents the heart of midtown.
5. 48th St and Chicago Ave - Pepitos and the Parkway theater, Ba Gu, Adrian's tavern, Chicago Deli Cafe & Grill, Pizza Biga, Cafe Levain, etc.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:39 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,866 times
Here are my somewhat debatable lists for only the city of Minneapolis.
The five busiest...
7th and Nicollet
Lake and Hennepin (Uptown)
Lake and Chicago
Central and East Hennepin (Saint Anthony)
Lake and Hiawatha
The five most expensive/richest...
50th and France
43rd and Upton (Linden Hills)
50th and Penn
Some of my personal favorites -- ones that will give the broadest cross-section of the City.
48th and Chicago
Lake and Chicago
Franklin/24th and Nicollet
Dinkytown (4th St. at SE 14th Avenue.)
7th and Nicollet
Diamond Lake and Nicollet
Cedar-Riverside
Central and Lowry
You didn't ask any other questions or have any additional information. If we had it, we could better direct you towards nodes that would suit your needs.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:55 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,594,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Most of the intersections Benaround listed are actually in St. Paul, not Minneapolis. Besides uptown, here is my list:
1. Nicollet Mall (Nicollet Ave from Grant St up to Washington Ave in downtown Minneapolis). Go a little further south on Nicollet and you're on eat street (from about 23nd st to 26th st).
2. 38th St and 42nd Ave in Longfellow - home to the Riverview theater, Riverview Cafe and Riverview wine bar.
3. 25th and Central Ave area in NE - Holy Land and a handful of other interesting ethnic restaurants. If you go south to 19th there is an awesome Viatnamese/Chinese restaurant called Kim's.
4. Lake St and Chicago Ave which is home to the Global Market/Midtown exchange building (the historic sears building) and represents the heart of midtown.
5. 48th St and Chicago Ave - Pepitos and the Parkway theater, Ba Gu, Adrian's tavern, Chicago Deli Cafe & Grill, Pizza Biga, Cafe Levain, etc.
OK, ya got me, Slig! I'm so used to people posting "Minneapolis" when they really mean the Twin Cities, I just answered for both cities. But I do know better and am usually the first to call out anyone who uses "Minneapolis" to mean the Twin Cities or the whole metro.

BTW, another more obscure but cool little intersection is S. 34th Ave & E. 50 St. Bakery, hardware store, bowling alley, bank, grocery store, restaurants. No place to drive across town for, but makes a nice little shopping area for the immediate neighborhood.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:10 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Here are my somewhat debatable lists for only the city of Minneapolis.
The five busiest...
7th and Nicollet
Lake and Chicago
Central and East Hennepin (Saint Anthony)
Lake and Hiawatha
The five most expensive/richest...
50th and France
43rd and Upton (Linden Hills)
50th and Penn
Some of my personal favorites -- ones that will give the broadest cross-section of the City.
48th and Chicago
Lake and Chicago
Franklin/24th and Nicollet
Dinkytown (4th St. at SE 14th Avenue.)
7th and Nicollet
Diamond Lake and Nicollet
Cedar-Riverside
Central and Lowry
You didn't ask any other questions or have any additional information. If we had it, we could better direct you towards nodes that would suit your needs.
Excellent list, I will second Cedar-Riverside and Dinkytown....how could I forget about those!

Old 12-22-2008, 04:39 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,344,036 times
The above lists cover the best intersections very well, I'd just add the following:

East Hennepin & University: (in addition to being a busy intersection, this area has a great mix of restaurants, bars and shops. Especially noteworthy are Nye's Polonaise (named best bar in the country by Esquire a few years ago--though its really just a quirky old-style bar/restaurant); Kramarczeck's East European deli, Surdyks Liquors & Cheeses)

Lyndale Ave S. Between Franklin and Lake Street, this street has several interesting intersections. Lots of interesting, independant restaurants and some cool bars, plus unique shops. The most intesely commercial area would be Lake & Lyndale.

East Franklin (between 22nd and 27th, or so): Effectively, the main street of Seward, this area lacks the stature of Hennepin & Lake or 50th&France, but it does have a nice collection of cultural organizations, restaurants, a co-op, and a nice hardware store.

South Nicollet: Between 43rd St & 48th Street, there has been a major increase in interesting locally owned businesses during the past few years.
It's more of a corridor that a node, but worth checking out.

My favorites:
Downtown: 9th & Nicollet, and 8th & Nicollet
Eat Street: 26th & Nicollet
Uptown: Lake & Hennepin
Linden Hills: 43rd & Upton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul