Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:01 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,215 times

Advertisements

This thanksgiving I made it back to Minneapolis to find the downtown to have practically nobody out and about. I love the nicollet mall, the skyway and the new LRT but I was unpleasantly suprised to find the lack of activity. The day I was there was a saturday late afternon with temperatures in the 30s; cool relative to Minnesota.
I also observed that for all the wide roads, newly installed street lamps & stop lights, the only automobiles I saw were taxis. Nothing was being occupied. Is Minneapolis's walking life near the lakes & neighborhoods or was I just in downtown on a quiet day? Another question...Is there much hustle & bustle in any of the twin cities like there is in New york or Chicago? People sometimes say Minnesota is like New york compared to Atlanta & NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 12:24 PM

50 posts, read 61,061 times
Default mr.

joyness +++++

residents told us when we were visiting them ;; areas are to be avoided makes it difficult for body crimes"

in our NW. mn pink collar crimes are total and protected

as genic or inherient

Old 12-20-2008, 12:56 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
This thanksgiving I made it back to Minneapolis to find the downtown to have practically nobody out and about. I love the nicollet mall, the skyway and the new LRT but I was unpleasantly suprised to find the lack of activity. The day I was there was a saturday late afternon with temperatures in the 30s; cool relative to Minnesota.
I also observed that for all the wide roads, newly installed street lamps & stop lights, the only automobiles I saw were taxis. Nothing was being occupied. Is Minneapolis's walking life near the lakes & neighborhoods or was I just in downtown on a quiet day? Another question...Is there much hustle & bustle in any of the twin cities like there is in New york or Chicago? People sometimes say Minnesota is like New york compared to Atlanta & NC.
It was because of Thanksgiving. The workers were mostly gone, and the residents in downtown are mostly younger, so they tend to go "home" for the holiday.
There is always activity near the lakes (mostly Calhoun and Harriet), but it is mostly recreational. Some neighborhoods have alot of pedestrian activity (Uptown, Dinkytown, Loring Park, Saint Anthony) becuse they are either more dense or have more commercial activity. There are also alot of neighborhoods that have old bungalows. They are comfortably walkable, but don't have alot of people because of the lower density.
If there is any place that is anywhere near Chicago in terms of pedestrian activity, it is Nicollet on a busy workday or Hennepin on a weekend.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:03 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,739 times
I guess I'd have to say I'm surprised that you saw noone in DT on A Saturday afternoon. Overall I consider DT Mpls to be pretty active with people on Nicollet Mall (especially between 6th Street and 11th Street, with most activity being between Macy's and target). The skyways are also generally pretty active. Nicollet Mall has lots of popular restaurants, a very successful Target store and numerous other major stores that draw lots of people. Even on Saturdays Nicollet Mall has a decent crowd. Its no Fifth Avenue or Michigan Avenue, but I'd certainly expect a decent crowd on the Saturday after Thanksgiving (Hollidazzle would have happened at 6:30 that evening).

Old 12-21-2008, 02:11 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Another question...Is there much hustle & bustle in any of the twin cities like there is in New york or Chicago? People sometimes say Minnesota is like New york compared to Atlanta & NC.
Consider that New York and Chicago both have huge central cities compared to the overall metro, while the Twin Cities is relatively small in comparison to its surrounding metro area.

Having lived for 40+ years in the Twin Cities and now over 4 in Atlanta, I would say that Atlanta and the Twin Cities are more similar to each other ... in terms of general hustle-and-bustle ... than either one is to New York City.

I've heard that the arts scene in the Twin Cities is very active, and in that regard the Twin Cities might be more like NYC. It's hard to make general statements like that, though, when individual cities are so different from each other.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:18 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
I share your views. There is only activity in certain small sections of downtown during non-peak hours. Most people just go there to work M-F office hours. There isn't any kind of central park close to downtown where people go to hang out and I think it's something the city definitely lacks.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:29 AM

987 posts, read 3,817,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backstaber View Post
joyness +++++

residents told us when we were visiting them ;; areas are to be avoided makes it difficult for body crimes"

in our NW. mn pink collar crimes are total and protected

as genic or inherient

Old 12-21-2008, 03:41 PM

94 posts, read 224,274 times
I lived in Minneapolis for a brief time 12 years ago and visited the city again about a year ago. Downtown Minneapolis is pretty much the same, save for some new buildings. There is very little activity beyond the 9-5 workday--the place empties out at the end of the day. When I worked at a major department store there we used to joke that the only people shopping on the weekends were shoplifters. I understand it is even less successful now as a number of high profile retailers have left the downtown core. There are some restaurants and bars but overall the downtown is far from lively. Many in Minneapolis will tell you the downtown in vibrant but I live in Portland now (which is actually a MUCH smaller city) and there is no comparision. The Twin Cities are very suburban in their outlook and the planning laws favor sprawl--I wouldn't hold my breath for a lively urban core anytime soon...

Old 12-21-2008, 04:17 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,105 times
The O.P. is right. It is quiet downtown. I've noticed this all year. Maybe it's the economy. I've been staying away from all the expensive outdoor activities because I need to cut on spending. I wouldn't be surprised if others were doing the same. And yes, Minneapolis is sprawled. I've noticed more people in Uptown lately.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:31 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
I've always thought that Minneapolis had a very dead downtown for a city with such a great white collar economy. It's better than most American cities in terms of hustle and bustle, but doesn't come close to New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco.... or even that sorry excuse for a downtown in L.A., I'm sad to say. I'd put it on par with Denver or Charlotte. It's a hustle/bustle level better than Milwaukee or Pittsburgh, but below Seattle and Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul