Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:24 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,659,381 times

Advertisements

This is really sad. They have a great wine shop. Anyone else disappointed?

Cost Plus to close all 6 stores in Minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 PM

501 posts, read 1,941,014 times
NO WAY! I'm bummed...I haven't read the article yet, do they say if they're going to have a closeout sale? They have a lot of great things there...

Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 AM

987 posts, read 3,810,059 times
There's no other place in the Twincities where you can go and just get escargot or devonshire cream.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:05 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,189,913 times
That is a bummer, but I am wondering why they would close all six stores? I would surmise that even with the state that our economy currently finds itself that there would be enough interest around the TC to be able to maintain at least one store?

Old 01-10-2009, 11:24 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,318,752 times
Pardon my ignorance but can someone please explain to me what this place is?

Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,659,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
That is a bummer, but I am wondering why they would close all six stores? I would surmise that even with the state that our economy currently finds itself that there would be enough interest around the TC to be able to maintain at least one store?
You gotta consider distribution. It probably costs almost as much to distribute to one TC store as to six. From what I understand, they're closing all Omaha-area stores as well.

I think their wine shop could survive on its own. I almost never went in the main area of the store.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:48 AM

1,934 posts, read 5,811,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Pardon my ignorance but can someone please explain to me what this place is?
Cost Plus World Market - unique gifts, handcrafted furniture, home decor, baskets, jewelry, food/wine and more from around the world

I'm sad to hear that as well. We would shop at the store when we'd find ourselves out in a suburb and spotted one - they have nice things for home furnishings - very affordable knock-offs of stuff from higher end places like the pier 1s or room & boards. The stores definitely filled a niche but I don't think they did the best job in picking their locations - they always seemed to be in stand-alone strip-malls somewhat close to major retail malls (ridgedale is the one I'm most familiar with) but still not the most convenient/ adjacent. I think if they were to have figured out what they were best at selling, focus in on that and drop the rest, and position themselves in the actual malls themselves (or even city retail areas) they may have done better.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:30 PM

989 posts, read 2,954,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Cost Plus World Market - unique gifts, handcrafted furniture, home decor, baskets, jewelry, food/wine and more from around the world

I'm sad to hear that as well. We would shop at the store when we'd find ourselves out in a suburb and spotted one - they have nice things for home furnishings - very affordable knock-offs of stuff from higher end places like the pier 1s or room & boards. The stores definitely filled a niche but I don't think they did the best job in picking their locations - they always seemed to be in stand-alone strip-malls somewhat close to major retail malls (ridgedale is the one I'm most familiar with) but still not the most convenient/ adjacent. I think if they were to have figured out what they were best at selling, focus in on that and drop the rest, and position themselves in the actual malls themselves (or even city retail areas) they may have done better.
The scary thing here is this is yet another brick and mortor store folding down because revenues are down 4-6%. Blows my mind that these outfits are leveraged to the point where such a small drop is enough to close down stores.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:16 PM

455 posts, read 1,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
This is really sad. They have a great wine shop. Anyone else disappointed?

Cost Plus to close all 6 stores in Minnesota
Not really disappointed if this is the store that was around France in Edina? I went there once and was not impressed. The Midtown Global Market is a much better shopping experience IMO. There are so many neat little international shops in the inner city of Minneapolis etc, that people should check out instead. Plus these shops are run by people from the native countries. Take a drive in the Riverside area for example. .......

Old 01-10-2009, 02:19 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,324,277 times
They closed the one in St Cloud several months ago That was my wine shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul