Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:47 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,274,676 times

Advertisements

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/insp...h249online.pdf

I think this is a great tool in many ways. If you're already a homeowner in Minneapolis you can use this as a resource to find which properties on your block or in your neighborhood are vacant or condemned so you can watch over them more closely to help prevent break-ins, squatting, loitering, etc. If you're a prospective homebuyer you can use this as a resource to get a feel for how many homes in the vicinity of where you are looking are vacant or condemned. This should give you a fairly good idea of what kind of condition the area is in. I don't think this should be soley used to base your home buying decision but I personally find it helpful.

There is actually a condemned building on my block that will need to be torn down. I don't feel like it has drastically decreased the quality of life on my block but neighbors have definitely taken notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:32 AM

501 posts, read 1,936,707 times
Interesting resource. There are 7 properties in my neighborhood, 4 of which are condemned (for boards). None on my block though.

I suppose overall this list is not that surprising...

Old 01-13-2009, 03:59 PM

Here are the totals by community:
Near North.........341
Camden.............140
Powderhorn........134
Phillips................95
Northeast............95
Nokomis..............22
Longfellow..........19
University...........16
Calhoun Isle........11
Southwest..........11
Central...............4

by neighborhood top 15
1. Hawthorne...........113
2. Jordan..................98
3. Willard Hay............62
4. Central.................54
5. Near North............45
6. Folwell.................38
7. Midtown Phillips.....34
8. Mckinley...............26
9. Webber Camden.....26
10. Harrison..............23
11. Powderhorn Park...23
12. Cleveland............22
13. Holland...............22
14. Phillips West........21
15. East Phillips.........21

Old 01-13-2009, 05:02 PM

1,934 posts, read 5,795,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Here are the totals by community:
Near North.........341
Camden.............140
Powderhorn........134
Phillips................95
Northeast............95
Nokomis..............22
Longfellow..........19
University...........16
Calhoun Isle........11
Southwest..........11
Central...............4

by neighborhood top 15
1. Hawthorne...........113
2. Jordan..................98
3. Willard Hay............62
4. Central.................54
5. Near North............45
6. Folwell.................38
7. Midtown Phillips.....34
8. Mckinley...............26
9. Webber Camden.....26
10. Harrison..............23
11. Powderhorn Park...23
12. Cleveland............22
13. Holland...............22
14. Phillips West........21
15. East Phillips.........21
powderhorn and camden are doing worse than Phillips, and Northeast is on par with it??? That really surprises me. I'm glad that Mpls/ Hennepin County is planning on finally taking matters into their own hands with a wide-scale effort to buy and demolish condemned properties which should help out neighborhoods quite a bit. I kind of am and am not surprised that Camden is #2 - on one hand, with the exception of Webber-Camden neighborhood, all the neighborhoods north of Dowling in Camden have relatively low vacant/ condemned rates (Victory -9, Shingle Creek -7, Lind-Bohanon- 12) . But when you go south of Dowling (or into Webber-Camden) there is a fairly large concentration in the n'hoods- of course all areas really pale in comparison to the #s found in Near North area.

The sad thing about this foreclosure crisis is that, of those that weren't investors, there is probably a very high percentage of persons that were foreclosed on that could easily have afforded their mortgages at the values the banks turned around and listed their homes at after reposession.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:57 AM

After looking into this I contacted people on my block and the neighborhood organization to find out what the deal was with the vacant property on my block. It turns out the property was bought late last year and is currently in the process of being rennovated. I find it really encouraging that people are way ahead of me on this issue. Currently there are 7 in Corcoran, and hopefully soon to be 6 (knocks on wood).

Also, I think some of the reason that Phillips has less than Camden and Powderhorn is because it has a significantly smaller housing stock largely due to it covering a smaller amount of space. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I would imagine this is a factor.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 01-14-2009 at 08:36 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 11:29 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,737,154 times
Phillips abandoned housing stock was a big concern/problem in the late 1990s and several organizations such as Hope and PPL purchased a lot of the properties. That, and many of the abandoned/badly damaged properties were zoned and demolished at that time. Some of the blocks are still kind of sad looking with empty lots.

Phillips has been improved since then pretty decent. Rich people aren't moving in, but its leaps and bounds above what it once was.

Also, Phillips still carried/carries a strong stigma that Powderhorn and Camden do not to the same extent, so I would imagine some first time home buyers shyed away....plus most houses in Phillips are friggin huge.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 11,773 times
i am currently living 2 a homeless shelter in mpls that charges 36 $ a day to live there !
thats over a grand a month to stay with homeless people all bunched together & heres the kicker >>>>> the state pays for that instaed of housing ??? what the hell are they thinking ??? why not use the money to help get these people into all these boarded up houses and renovate them as a condition of being allowed to live there ?? there are so many people freezing outside in minnesota with no where to go and there are so many houses that are boarded up and in reality they are perfect for someone needing a place to get back on there feet away form all the fighting ( it is very very violent at the shelters i have seen 3 stabbings over just people waking someone up the wrong way ) and all the drugs that are so rampant at the shelters as of lately .....

give the people a chance to make these very useful homes a mome again it would do the neighborhoods some good to help each other out and get each other through these hard times....

thanx for reading this i would love to get some feedback about this issue ... thanx B

Old 01-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostangel612 View Post
why not use the money to help get these people into all these boarded up houses and renovate them as a condition of being allowed to live there ??
I understand your frustration that there are all of these vacant homes and at the same time, homeless people with no place to go. Unfortunately, the equation doesn't work that way, because all levels of government need the property tax revenue from those properties in order to provide services like police protection, courts, infrastructure, education, social services, etc. etc. What good does rennovating the property do if they aren't getting their property tax money? Also, enforcement of these "rennovations" you claim all these homeless people could be reponsible for would be very difficult to manage. Many homeless people are addicts and mentally ill, why should the government expect them to carry out a home rennovation...and with what resources? It would be alot easier for you to find work or get enrolled in school and slowly work your way up the ladder to the point where you can afford to buy one of these properties and pay property tax like everyone else.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:24 PM

987 posts, read 3,802,424 times
Think that's what PPL basically does. They renovate and either sell or rent those places.

Or...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28002276/

Old 10-08-2013, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 7,337 times
Looking at a condemned house on County Road 11 in Lorette the address is across from 6220 and down the road from 6270. Any information would be helpful. Could someone reply to my email address: [email]kristieannelewis@yahoo.com[/email]. Your time is greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul