Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a move to Minneapolis possibly this May or June and while I'm not worried so much about the summer I wonder if I will be able to get around okay in the winter without a car. I plan on living around Uptown with a couple roommates and I can save a hefty sum if I don't have a car. How good is PT around Uptown? Are there any more plans for light rail other than just the Hiawatha Line?

I also plan on going to The U of M either in fall '09 or spring '10. Is not having a car going to be a problem?

Also, what are some recommended jobs for a 20 year old with management experience? If all else fails I plan on waiting tables. I've been to the Twin Cities innumerable times but I've never used PT and I'd love some local input!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Uptown is a great choice for someone who doesn't drive. I'm speaking from experience here, including with experience as a U of M student. It's easier in nice weather, of course (no cold waits at bus stops or annoying property owners who don't shovel!) but it's still not a big deal i nthe winter.

Uptown has many bus routes going through it, including multiple express buses that will zip you over to the U in no time. There are tons of students in the area, and the express buses run frequently. Light rail will be wonderful if it happens but in the meantime Uptown still remains one of the better served public transportation communities in the Twin Cities. It's definitely doable to live there without a car.

You'll also be able to get most of your daily essentials without having to get on a bus; there are several grocery stores in the area, for example.

Uptown also has a shared car service called Hourcar; you could always sign up for that if you want to have access to a car every once in awhile. As a non-driver I haven't used it, but it would be nice for IKEA or big bulk grocery runs.

You asked about light rail: there is currently discussion about a LRT line that might go through Uptown, but even if the Uptown route is approved (which I certainly hope it will!!) it won't be completed in time to be of use in the near future. There's also been some talk about bringing streetcars back, although nothing seems to be actively happening on that front at the moment.

If you're a biker you'll like the Midtown Greenway; it's a bike/walking trail that cuts through south Minneapolis along the route of former train tracks. A lot of people bike as a form of transportation in Minneapolis, even in the winter.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:31 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Uptown is a great choice for someone who doesn't drive. I'm speaking from experience here, including with experience as a U of M student. It's easier in nice weather, of course (no cold waits at bus stops or annoying property owners who don't shovel!) but it's still not a big deal i nthe winter.

Uptown has many bus routes going through it, including multiple express buses that will zip you over to the U in no time. There are tons of students in the area, and the express buses run frequently. Light rail will be wonderful if it happens but in the meantime Uptown still remains one of the better served public transportation communities in the Twin Cities. It's definitely doable to live there without a car.

You'll also be able to get most of your daily essentials without having to get on a bus; there are several grocery stores in the area, for example.

Uptown also has a shared car service called Hourcar; you could always sign up for that if you want to have access to a car every once in awhile. As a non-driver I haven't used it, but it would be nice for IKEA or big bulk grocery runs.

You asked about light rail: there is currently discussion about a LRT line that might go through Uptown, but even if the Uptown route is approved (which I certainly hope it will!!) it won't be completed in time to be of use in the near future. There's also been some talk about bringing streetcars back, although nothing seems to be actively happening on that front at the moment.

If you're a biker you'll like the Midtown Greenway; it's a bike/walking trail that cuts through south Minneapolis along the route of former train tracks. A lot of people bike as a form of transportation in Minneapolis, even in the winter.
Plus, there's a limited-stop bus from Uptown that will take you directly to the Lake St. LRT station.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the input guys! I'll probably bring a bike up too so it's good to know that it's also an option in the winter.

Do you know how the job market is in Minneapolis for summer workers and college students? I'm currently a manager and I take jobs very seriously so it's not like I'm a typical college kid that's always late and shabby-looking. I'd be full time in the sumer and I'd work as much as possible during school. I wouldn't mind working retail or waiting tables if nothing else is available. I ate at Figlio's and Chino Latino once and I thought they seemed like fun places to work.

Mmm... Figlio's lasagna sounds really good!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:43 PM

66 posts, read 248,870 times
I agree, Uptown is the place you're probably looking for. As pedestrian friendly as a neighborhood around here gets.

I'm not an expert, but I think the positions that students in their early 20's usually qualify for are entry-level and plentiful. At least you could get your foot in the door somewhere, show them what management experience you've got and hope for a promotion.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:08 PM

Thanks! I'm kind of nervous about starting over because I've had the same job for 5 years now and I don't really know how to start over. You guys are a ll a big help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul