Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:38 PM

4 posts, read 15,156 times

Advertisements

Hello and thanks in advance for your advice.

My wife and I are moving from the Kansas City area to Minneapolis. My wife works in St. Louis Park, and I will be contracting in Plymouth. Most of our friends live on the southern side of the metro, and given that we work on the west side, we were looking for a neighborhood in the west to southwest part of Minneapolis or the immediate suburbs.

Any advice on neighborhoods with houses in the $175k - $250k range? We would like something that has a grocery store, bar-restaurants, etc within walking/biking distance. If anyone is familiar with the Waldo and Prairie Village areas of Kansas City, that's kind of what we're looking for.

My wife currently has an apartment in The Wedge/Uptown, and we like that area, but I'm not too familiar with the safety reputation of that area. (ie. a place you would let your wife/daughter/mother/sister walk the dog alone)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:56 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
There are a decent number of houses for sale in that range in the area of SW Minneapolis south of 50th and north of HWY 62 and between France and Lyndale (approx 35 homes), so that would be a good place to check out. There are also about 40 homes in your range in St. Louis Park north of Excelsior, south of W Lake, east of HWY 169 and west of HWY 100 so that would be another good option if you want to be in a more suburban environment.

I lived in a the wedge in uptown for a short while and it is pretty safe there. It is a very dense area with alot of human traffic and along with that you will come across petty crime like larceny and theft from motor vehicles but violent crime is pretty low there compared to other parts of the city.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:52 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
The Wedge doesn't have any major problem with crime, so if you like that area there shouldn't be any reason not to go there. Uptown, especially closer to Calhoun, is even safer.
I looked at an aerial map of Waldo (Troost, S. Gregory) and it looked similar to Excelsior Blvd. in Saint Louis Park.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:33 PM

54 posts, read 160,223 times
See if you can find anything in Kingfield (a neighborhood in SW Mpls), zip code 55409. Or, zip 55408. Stick with the areas west of 35W and head towards Lake Harriet. It will get more and more expensive the closer you get to the lake, but I know there are several great finds in my area (Kingfield).

It's a wonderful neighborhood, just blocks from Lake Harriet and the rose gardens. It's more settled, family-oriented and close knit than where your wife is now...but it's only about a mile or so south of The Wedge. There are cafes, delicious restaurants, and lots of parks. Bryant Avenue is preferred for bike trails and can hook you up to the Midtown Greenway (bike corridor) or take you close to downtown. Also, just a few blocks away is Minnehaha Parkway, another great bike/running trail.

I prefer biking and think my location is perfect, with easy access to lots of trails. I'm in a quiet and safe area and have no problem walking my dog late at night when I get home from a party, etc. Park Police is always nearby because of the close proximity to lakes and a fire department is just a mile away. Area schools are excellent since Kingfield is close to Linden Hills (posh) and the nicer areas of Southwest Minneapolis.

Your price range is tricky for what most would consider Southwest Minneapolis, but for some reason...this little pocket area would present some finds in your price range. Just a stone's throw away, once you cross west of Lyndale Ave, the prices go way up. And, if you go east, to the other side of 35W, it can get shady just as quickly. Put some effort into searching Kingfield and the very nearby pockets of Southwest, you may just find something...and the area can't be beat.

Also, swing by Anodyne Cafe (43rd and Nicollet Ave)...check out the bulletin board area by the bathrooms (as well as the bulletin board in the women's bathroom). There are often personal listings for homes in the area on those boards. I just saw a house for sale on the corner of 39th and Harriet Ave S, don't know the price though, but it's in the area I'm suggesting you look. Drive around and see what you think!

Best of luck!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 PM

140 posts, read 542,364 times
Check out the Minikahda area of area of St Louis Park - bordered by Excelsior Blvd, France Ave, Edina/St Louis Park border and Hwy 100.

Lots of Restaurants, coffee shops, and grocery stores within walking/biking distance. Easy access to the bike trails and very close to Minneapolis lakes.

The only down side is airplane noise!

Most homes are above your price range - however there are a few homes for under $250k. As you get closer to hwy 100 they are less expensive.

Very safe neighborhood - I lived there in the past and really enjoyed its central location!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:46 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
SW is going to be tough to break into for 250K. You might find a smaller house or a fixer upper for that though. Some of the alternate suggestions like Kingfield and SE St. Louis Park are good. I would also look at the northwest part of Richfield. Another location you might find affordable would be Golden Valley.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the suggestions; this seems to be a great forum. These areas look great so far. I'm fine with a fixer-upper. That's all I've ever owned. So far, my best looking options seem to be Kingfield, Armatage, and SE St. Louis Park. I'll look into Golden Valley.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:52 PM

12 posts, read 35,170 times
Default SW Minneapolis neighborhood advice

Hi. I like this thread! I used to live in NE Olathe, Kansas, btw. I loved Prairie Village, and still miss Bo Lings restaurant on the Plaza.

In terms of 35W, what about the area east of there? I thought the Seward was area was supposed to be quite nice

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
I live on the east side of the freeway. It isn't as posh as the west side and much more diverse in race and income. It's further away from Uptown and the chain of lakes but closer to Lake Nokomis, the river, Powderhorn park, the midtown farmer's market, the global market, the light rail, etc., plus housing is more affordable on the east side of the freeway.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:32 PM

It looks like you can get a lot more house for the dollar in Golden Valley. Anyone have any opinions of that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul