Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,722,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbound08 View Post
mn drivers suck. they even had a story on why mn drivers are so bad on fox 9 news out of the twin citys, about a year or two ago
We're talking "speed" here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 PM

8,276 posts, read 23,008,910 times
Quote:
As for flashing lights to get people to move over, those people just come across as absolute jerks who think their time is more important than anybody else's. Sure-fire way to invoke road-rage. I've only experienced it in New York state. Pull a stunt like that in Kansas City, and you'll probably get shot at. Seriously.
You never know when the person behind you who is flashing you has a wife going into pregnancy or left his oven on or on his way to the hospital. A good rule of thumb for you sensitve drivers that say 55 is the speed limit no higher, rules are rules people. Abide by this, take the higher road and if he is being a jerk just move over without flipping him off also. Treat others like you want to be treated thats why when people are on my tail or following really close I just move over and be done with it. If you hit your brakes or go slow on pourpose your acting just as much as a child like he is. Just move over there also may be 8 other cars behind him flashing him.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 12,480 times
People are always going to complain about out-of-state drivers no matter where you live. There will always be people driving slower than you and always those who drive faster. The fact that some of these people have license plates from a different state just makes them more noticeable. In Minnesota the slow drivers are Iowans. We always poke fun at the Iowans.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 12,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbound08 View Post
mn drivers suck. they even had a story on why mn drivers are so bad on fox 9 news out of the twin citys, about a year or two ago

MN drivers are the worst at "rubber-necking". If someone's changing a flat tire on the side of the road they need to slow down and check it out like they've never seen anything like it before.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,536,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
You never know when the person behind you who is flashing you has a wife going into pregnancy or left his oven on or on his way to the hospital. A good rule of thumb for you sensitve drivers that say 55 is the speed limit no higher, rules are rules people. Abide by this, take the higher road and if he is being a jerk just move over without flipping him off also. Treat others like you want to be treated thats why when people are on my tail or following really close I just move over and be done with it. If you hit your brakes or go slow on pourpose your acting just as much as a child like he is. Just move over there also may be 8 other cars behind him flashing him.
I think if his wife is going INTO pregnancy in the passenger seat then we have someone who is flashing us in more ways than one.
If his wife is having contractions, a few well placed honks would be in order.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:46 PM

159 posts, read 237,751 times
Quote:
Abide by this, take the higher road and if he is being a jerk just move over without flipping him off also. Treat others like you want to be treated thats why when people are on my tail or following really close I just move over and be done with it. If you hit your brakes or go slow on pourpose your acting just as much as a child like he is. Just move over there also may be 8 other cars behind him flashing him.
Or instead you could not tap the brakes or go slow on purpose and just maintain your current speed and you would not be acting as a child.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:21 PM

8,276 posts, read 23,008,910 times
Quote:
Or instead you could not tap the brakes or go slow on purpose and just maintain your current speed and you would not be acting as a child.
True, I was once told a little saying "if he is acting like a jerk, let him be a jerk, but don't become a jerk just to get back at a jerk"

Old 03-03-2009, 10:39 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,825,079 times
Quote:
You never know when the person behind you who is flashing you has a wife going into pregnancy or left his oven on or on his way to the hospital.
No, you never do know.

The flashing lights incident happened to me twice in upstate New York, just passing through to New England. Once on the way up, once on the way back. I saw people do it to other drivers, as well. No one seemed to be frantic with their driving, I think it was just another way of communicating to other drivers, "I'm going faster than you, get out of my way". I came to the conclusion that it was how they rolled up there. Annoying as it could be, but normal.

I didn't do anything stupid. I was calm and kept my speed. I tried moving over as soon as I could, but I was passing another driver myself, so the go-fast cool kid in the sports car had to wait. He was probably wearing over-priced sun-glasses with his hat on backwards, because it somehow looks better that way. No need to wear it properly to shade his eyes. The glasses have it covered.

The other time, I was in the left lane because a police car had a vehicle pulled over. In Missouri, it's the law to move over, if possible, or at least slow down.
Habit, I guess.

I'm not a sensitive 55-only driver. I just go the speed limit. Too poor for tickets. There's no such thing as a fast lane.
I've never seen a sign that's said, "faster traffic keep left". Only one that says "slower traffic keep right." It's for trailers, slow pokes, doughnut spares, and tractors... when allowed.
Where I'm from, you will get pulled over for going over the speed limit regardless of what lane you're in. They don't care what lane you're in.

If my wife's in labor or there's some other emergency, I think I'd be doing a whole lot more than just flashing my lights.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:18 AM

432 posts, read 1,655,687 times
Most of the time if I do drive under the speed limit is when I think that I have a car problem and I tend to stick to the right line...

Old 03-05-2009, 05:41 PM

19 posts, read 44,474 times
One word: MERGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul