U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,768 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I have a few questions. I am interested in moving to Minneapolis hopefully soon and I have a few questions about location.

First let me state that I am moving from LA California.

I would like to live either in the city or so close to it that you can see it. The problem is that I have 2 dogs so I am looking for a house, that way I can have a yard for the dogs. This isn't a huge requirement but I just think it would be a bit difficult to have dogs in an apartment and it would be hard to find an apartment that would allow dogs. If I'm mistaken feel free to correct me.

So to sum up, a house close or in the city thats affordable. I am looking to rent hopefully in the 1,000-1500 range.

If this isn't possible then I would like to have a more country feeling. I don't like the suburbia feeling, thats all we got in LA. I would like a spot that is close to a forest of large park or something outdoorsy. I would still like access to the city but a 30-40 min commute is ok. Does this exist?

Thanks
-Nick
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 03:41 PM

989 posts, read 2,808,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox_qu View Post
Hello all, I have a few questions. I am interested in moving to Minneapolis hopefully soon and I have a few questions about location.

First let me state that I am moving from LA California.

I would like to live either in the city or so close to it that you can see it. The problem is that I have 2 dogs so I am looking for a house, that way I can have a yard for the dogs. This isn't a huge requirement but I just think it would be a bit difficult to have dogs in an apartment and it would be hard to find an apartment that would allow dogs. If I'm mistaken feel free to correct me.

So to sum up, a house close or in the city thats affordable. I am looking to rent hopefully in the 1,000-1500 range.

If this isn't possible then I would like to have a more country feeling. I don't like the suburbia feeling, thats all we got in LA. I would like a spot that is close to a forest of large park or something outdoorsy. I would still like access to the city but a 30-40 min commute is ok. Does this exist?

Thanks
-Nick
It it exists and is fairly plentiful. City of Minneapolis has some dog parks of substantial size and most are by other regular parks of that are large. Thinking you can find something for less than 1500 and be 15 to 20 minutes from downtown.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:26 PM

4,307 posts, read 12,857,526 times
This may be kinda obvious but have you tried Craigslist? I'm sure there must be quite a few houses for rent with yards that are outside the city centre in your price range. I don't know about "country" feel but you could look in places like Shakopee, Chaska, Victoria, Cottage Grove (just a few ideas there). Do you know if you're going to be working in a specific part of town?

Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 PM

You guy are great, such quick responses. I don't have a specific work location yet, still looking. I'm just curious if my requests were possible and if so some locations.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:10 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,448,566 times
There's plenty of options both in the city and beyond, so if you want some more specific responses it would help if you gave a little more information. What kind of city neighborhood do you want want? Do you want to be able to walk to stuff, and if so, what's most important? Public transportation a issue? Quiet streets or more street life? We could all tell you what places we like, but you'd have a huge list that wouldn't necessarily be very useful. Are there areas of LA or other cities that you particularly like that might help people help steer you in some helpful directions?

The Twin Cities have lots of good options in your price range and within close proximity to nature, so you'll have the luxury of being able to pick and choose more so than you would with that budget in LA.

Also, just as an aside, when renting here keep in mind utilities - especially heat - if it's not included in the rent.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:33 AM

My wife and I are young, mid twenties. We would like to walk to places. Public transportation is a medium on the list, it would be nice but we could live without it. We aren't really into the bar or club scene, but we love movies and the theater. We like the feeling of culture where we live. A community that has a life force.

In LA I like the santa monica and hollywood, and west hollywood areas. They always seem vibriant and alive. The problem is I can afford them. I'm looking for something that isn't cookie cutter. That's what I hate about the LA suburbs, all the house look the same and a lot the neighbothoods feel the same. I hate gated communities, I don't want to be forced to be the same as everyone else.

Some other interests we have are rock climbing, hikeing, snow shoeing, musieums, theater, movies, exploting new restraunts, meeting people, and exploring the city and surriounding area.

I am looking for a change from what I have now, something compleatly differnte.

Hope this helps

Old 02-26-2009, 11:22 AM

989 posts, read 2,808,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox_qu View Post
My wife and I are young, mid twenties. We would like to walk to places. Public transportation is a medium on the list, it would be nice but we could live without it. We aren't really into the bar or club scene, but we love movies and the theater. We like the feeling of culture where we live. A community that has a life force.

In LA I like the santa monica and hollywood, and west hollywood areas. They always seem vibriant and alive. The problem is I can afford them. I'm looking for something that isn't cookie cutter. That's what I hate about the LA suburbs, all the house look the same and a lot the neighbothoods feel the same. I hate gated communities, I don't want to be forced to be the same as everyone else.

Some other interests we have are rock climbing, hikeing, snow shoeing, musieums, theater, movies, exploting new restraunts, meeting people, and exploring the city and surriounding area.

I am looking for a change from what I have now, something compleatly differnte.

Hope this helps
You might like uptown and the lakes area of Minneapolis based on what you are saying. THere is walking biking, running, inline skating paths that circle Lake of the Isles, Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet. You can continue on to many other locals such as midtown greenway, the falls etc. You see a lot of different people doing different stuff in the park system and there is also a nice dog park close to cedar lake.

Public transportation is very good in that area.

Uptown has a young vibe with a lot of unique stores, small theaters, coffee shops, bike shops, resturaunts etc.

To the east you have a fairly vibrant international type feel on East Lake

Old 02-26-2009, 01:46 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,448,566 times
I agree that you should check out Uptown. Also maybe Whittier and the Lyn-Lake area. It sounds like it might be a good fit for what you're looking for.

I'd take an extra close look at the neighborhood known as the Wedge (part of Uptown, also part of the Lyn-Lake area) - it's between Lyndale and Hennepin Avenues, and would give you easy walking distance to the shops, restaurants, theaters, etc. of both streets/commercial cores. It has the Midtown Greenway and is also within walking distance of the lakes.

Uptown on the west of Hennepin is also very nice, and you could probably find a nice duplex there that will rent to you with dogs, but things are a bit cheaper if you go east of Hennepin (and cheaper still if you go east of Lyndale).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul