Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 AM

6 posts, read 33,372 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband and I are looking for a upbeat welcoming church to attend regurarly. The only problem is that I'm white and my husband is black, and we're sick of the judgemental looks we still recieve at most church's we've attended in the suburbs, and just quit going all together.

We don't seem to have a problem in churches with an all black congregation, only the churches where the congregation is primarily white.

Can anyone suggest any local churches in the twin cities area where we can go and feel welcomed and at peace with ourselves and our interracial family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 AM

10 posts, read 38,040 times
Upper Room - a community loving God and others in the rhythm of Jesus

Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 AM

6,616 posts, read 16,537,571 times
Two Catholic churches that would probably fit the bill are St Cecelia's in St Paul and St Joan of Arc in south Minneapolis.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:17 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,334,821 times
I'd suggest looking into UCC churches (United Church of Christ), which tend to be very progressive, including the following:

Mayflower
Linden Hills Congregational UCC
Lynnhurst
Plymouth Congregational

Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,185,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Two Catholic churches that would probably fit the bill are St Cecelia's in St Paul and St Joan of Arc in south Minneapolis.
St. Cecelia's is a great church. We used to belong to that parish-we moved out of the metro area and are now back and attending a church closer to home. We have several couples at our current church that are black/white with no issues. We lost a very prominent member of our church to the 35W bridge collapse who was half of a black/white family. His wife still attends our parish and the family is very active.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:27 PM

26 posts, read 76,632 times
Hey my wife and I are in the same boat! Looking for a good church. We came from a very "come as you are, we love you no matter what" church in Tennessee. So far i've found these churches. Haven't visited them all yet though"

Eaglebrook Church- Lino Lakes and 2 other campuses. I really liked this one.

The Upper Room- Went last week. Was another good one.

Woodland Hills Church

City Church of Minneapolis

Church of the Open Door

Solomon's Porch

Horizons Community Church of Ham Lake

They all have websites, you can just google them and they will pop up.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:48 PM

701 posts, read 1,703,846 times
I would think just about any church in the city would be welcoming. My church, Bethlehem Lutheran on Lyndale (at 41st) would definitely be non-judgemental as would its spin-off church, Jacob's Well. St. Peter's Lutheran on France/54th would be a good one too. All of these churches have other interracial couples--it just shouldn't be a bit deal. Sorry you've been having trouble!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:08 PM

140 posts, read 541,663 times
I would also suggest Plymouth Congregational church in Minneapolis - the senior minister, Jim Gertmainan is very progressive and a strong advocate of racial and sexual orientation diversity in the church. The church is very much involved with the surrounding neighborhood - providing k-12 eduction for the homeless and a food pantry. Church also prides itself on reaching out to new immigrants to the community and other religions. There is also strong emphasis on educational programs and the arts.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:47 PM

66 posts, read 248,249 times
In St. Paul, I would recommend two churches right near 94/Dale.

St. Peter Claver (Catholic) and Camphor Memorial (United Methodist).

Both are predominantly black, but in MN white people are always in the mix. Our family is like yours and everyone is totally cool with us.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:19 PM

27 posts, read 108,362 times
Hi...I attend Substance Church, a non-denominational church, which currently meets at Fridley High School. There are so many people from different ethnic and racial backgrounds and all walks of life and each of them are equally loved and respected by the church. The music is passionate and powerful and they are absolutely rooted to the whole truth of the Bible. The pastor is painfully authentic and truly in love with the Lord. They do not judge people and they are filled with great love for all who walk into the doors. There's tons of ways to get involved and meet people.

I am so sorry for your experience. There's a reason God made people in different colors...its beautiful. It breaks my heart that people would somehow lack the eyes to see the beauty of His creation. But...I think there's a great chance you'd enjoy Substance. Granted, I don't know you but I do know Substance attracts people from so many different types of people from foreign-born persons to growing families to kids with tattoos all over. Anyone and everyone is welcome.

The meet at Fridley High School at 8:00, 9:45, and 11:30 on Sunday mornings. You can get any information you'd like from the website at www.substancechurch.com. I've also included a link below to a video of the senior pastor, Peter Haas, giving a virtual tour. He just talks to you as he does, like a person, and gives a background, overview, and description of the passion behind the church. Its totally worth checking out. If you need more information, directions, someone to sit with--whatever, please don't hesitate to ask.

Substance Church | Viritual Visit (http://www.substancechurch.com/virtual-visit/ - broken link)

I know this was long...sorry, I have a tendency to use more words than less most days. But, though I can't know what you've been going through, I do know that going from church to church with disappointing results can really break your spirit. The frustration is almost unbearable at times. But I love Substance. Its real, its truthful, and its dang fun. I'll be praying for your search...wherever God would land you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul