Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:58 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
I don't consider summer over until the second snowfall. Four (or sometimes 5) months of winter can be a drag some years, but it beats 4-5 months of insufferable heat like I experienced in Maryland.
I actually miss the "insufferable" heat of Maryland, so I'll trade you 4-5 of Alaska cold for your Maryland heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:59 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
Usually it sucks, but we had hardly any snow this winter. It was like we were in the Twilight Zone.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:50 PM

60 posts, read 107,947 times
no, its 4 months....dec to march more or less. i lived there and than moved to duluth and will now move back. compared to Duluth, the winter is a breeze. and really only 2 months of jan and feb are the only really potential cold months. not saying i love it but its not as bad as ppl think

Old 04-28-2012, 11:15 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
It runs about the same amount of time, it's just cold. I've found the older I get the more I hate it. In my 20s I didn't mind, in my early 30s I noticed it more and got tired of it, now that I'm close to 40 I hate it with a passion, each year it gets harder. I'm not into skiing or snowmobiling or the winter things people I enjoy so there's not much for me to appreciate. It's not the snow as much as the bitter cold temperatures, I find it exhausting.
I understand this is an old post, but I agree with it although in the end it was the humidity that "drove" me away.

I moved to Minneapolis from California and was actually bummed out by the first few winters. Not that it was too cold or too snowy, but that it wasn't snowy enough. I wanted blizzards and 6-foot snow banks. I wanted to experience the "I had to walk five miles through three feet of snow to get to school when I was your age" that I heard from my elders when I was a child. All I got was cold and ice. I did enjoy it, though. It was definitely different, but after some years it got old. Every year, something in March, I would think to myself This shiv is still going!? Then I would think the same in April.

I finally found that winter I was looking for in Maine. It was shorter by perhaps a month, warmer by around 20˚, and two to three times as snowy.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:37 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,862,857 times
Weim perfectly wired for Minnesota. After summer I can't wait for fall, after fall I can't wait for winter, after winter I can't wait for spring and after after spring I can't wait for summer. Perfect.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:11 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Tell ya one thing I know for sure. Twin Cities winter is a ***** cat compared to the real tiger which is up in Fargo Moorhead. I came there from Portland Oregon and couldn't believe the brutality of it. Hightailed back to what I knew. Later I visited family down here and found it hard to believe Moorhead and Minneapolis were in the same state. So if you start with the worst parts of the state, you'll probably think "this aint so bad" when you get to the Twin Cities.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:22 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Tell ya one thing I know for sure. Twin Cities winter is a ***** cat compared to the real tiger which is up in Fargo Moorhead. I came there from Portland Oregon and couldn't believe the brutality of it. Hightailed back to what I knew. Later I visited family down here and found it hard to believe Moorhead and Minneapolis were in the same state. So if you start with the worst parts of the state, you'll probably think "this aint so bad" when you get to the Twin Cities.
Yup. The wind makes a difference, as does going a few hundred miles north.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
No wonder the region was settled by Scandinavians. Nobody else was crazy enough to do it.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:00 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No wonder the region was settled by Scandinavians. Nobody else was crazy enough to do it.
The book _Giants in the Earth_ by O. E. Rolvaag is a very good read. It took someone special to do what some of those folks did.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:01 AM

23 posts, read 39,352 times
Default Now you're scaring me

I read that book in college. As a Kentuckian getting ready to experience her first Michigan winter, it was terrifying.

Now I'm getting ready to move from Alabama to the northwest of the Twin Cities ... And I'm a lot older! Could be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul