Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 AM

501 posts, read 1,945,175 times

Advertisements

Yes Binky, a car break-in and a pair of jeans stolen makes me nervous about setting foot in Edina...same with two similar incidents at that slum-hole Galleria...Browsing the latest 2-weeks of crime reports posted on the city's website doesn't show a pattern of crimes of this magnitude.

Slig, along the lines of what you said, I'm much more concerned with the monsters who stuffed an old woman in her trunk about 4 blocks from Southdale. That kind of an event gets as much surprise as it has because it doesn't happen every day.

I think what I'm trying to get at is that every mall is going to have their fair share of issues...given proximity to Minneapolis and a hot spot on bus routes, I am not surprised that a gang related incident took place there. Will I wear kevlar when I go this weekend? No. Will I lock my car door and not leave my purse in plain sight? Yes.

Sorry, Binky, I'm sure you're a great person, I just can't stand hyper people who preach about the sky falling...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
There is already 5 or so low end jewlers doing that. Southdale ain't what it used to be. It has been on a 5+ year decline. Too close to MOA is probably part of it.
This I agree with. The quality of stores and the overall atmosphere of the mall is pretty stinky. They lost my interest when they started catering towards skanky teeny-boppers.

MOA isn't all that great, in my opinion, and I would rather not try parking there! But I do feel that the competition was a kick-in-the-butt for Southdale.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 AM

113 posts, read 155,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNative View Post
Sorry, Binky, I'm sure you're a great person, I just can't stand hyper people who preach about the sky falling...
Actually, I'm pretty laid back. I just make sure I'm aware of my surroundings.

And I never really said the sky is falling, I said that the cities are a crime-ridden ****-hole.

There is a difference.

That is all.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:16 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Typically we see a few incidents like this a week and they immediately get tons of media coverage. In a metro area of over 3.2 million people I can handle a few incidents a week. If you break it down by probability I feel very safe. If you consider the Twin Cities a crime-ridden hellhole what do you consider Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana? What would you consider the Gaza Strip in Israel? Baghdad?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
If you consider the Twin Cities a crime-ridden hellhole what do you consider Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana? What would you consider the Gaza Strip in Israel? Baghdad?
... or Atlanta... Detroit... St. Louis.... Baltimore.....

Old 03-04-2009, 08:50 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Typically we see a few incidents like this a week and they immediately get tons of media coverage. In a metro area of over 3.2 million people I can handle a few incidents a week. If you break it down by probability I feel very safe. If you consider the Twin Cities a crime-ridden hellhole what do you consider Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana? What would you consider the Gaza Strip in Israel? Baghdad?

Bit of a tough week. Random shootings in S Minneapolis, the mall thing, the lake phalen deal, break in rash in St. Paul Park. I don't think it makes sense to become paranoid, but it is disturbing at some level these things are happening and could potentially happen anywhere.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Bit of a tough week. Random shootings in S Minneapolis, the mall thing, the lake phalen deal, break in rash in St. Paul Park. I don't think it makes sense to become paranoid, but it is disturbing at some level these things are happening and could potentially happen anywhere.
It HAS been a tough week...sheesh!

I don't want to "downplay" how severe the situation was and how disturbing any crime is and how it shouldn't have to happen (anywhere). But like you say, it doesn't make sense to become paranoid. Plenty of crazy things happen in über-populated cities but things also happen in rural USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul