Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 05:00 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times

Advertisements

Looking at apartments in the area and it seems like a nice, quiet neighborhood. I really like the location because it's close to both Uptown and Downtown so I could possibly eliminate the need for a car. Anyone have any input on the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 05:29 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
I lived there previously, but it was almost 10 years ago now. Many homeless people walked through the area at the time. I assume that they were going between downtown and shelters on that side of the city. Most were ok, but I would get harassed by them sometimes if I was outside. My apartment occasionally had mice and bats inside. The park in the center had weekly live music during the summer which was nice. Limited parallel parking sucked sometimes.

I grew up in the western suburbs and live in the western suburbs again now. I wouldn't move to that area again at this point in my life, but I will admit that I did enjoy my time there when I was younger.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:12 PM

Thanks! These are the apartments me and a friend are looking at.
Welcome to Fair Oaks Apartments

Old 03-01-2009, 10:35 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
That's a great location! While I've never been in those apartments, I've walked past them many times (hadn't ever thought to look at the website - they look very appealing!). The MIA of fabulous, as is the nearby Hennepin History Museum. You'll be very close to Nicollet (the Eat Street part) and its many businesses and restaurants. The park there is nice, too. The neighborhood does have more crime than Uptown, but it's also cheaper and has plenty of other positives in its favor. You wouldn't need a car, as the area is well-served with buses and has plenty of stores within easy walking distance.

It's a great location, and if reviews of the apartment itself are good I'd say go for it.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:27 AM

Thanks Urbanist! That's very reassuring to hear. I'm really not all that concerned with crime beings I'm a pretty big guy but the convenience is very appealing to me. Sure, I know crime happens to guys too but I'm not too worried. I'll have to check out "Eat Street". I don't think I've been there before. I do like eatig in Uptown though. Luckily I'll be close to both!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
Fair Oaks really isn't Stevens Square. That is one of the best blocks of Whittier, and I have never heard of a problem from the building or immediate area.
Crime would be more of an issue the further east and south that you go, but the area itself is super convenient and that niche of the area is good.
My favorites on Eat Street are Little T's and Bad Waitress on 26th and the Java on 28th.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
I would recommend trying to get a place right on the park if you are planning to live in Stevens Square. I really liked having front windows facing the park when I lived there. The trees were very nice during the summer. Just sitting on the front steps of the building looking out into the park could be relaxing at times. Grilling dinner in the park was very convenient with it just across the street.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I guess I just figured that Fair Oaks was considered part of Stevens Square. I come from a city of 80,000 so I'm not used to so many random neighborhood names!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,062 times
I live at Fair Oaks right now and have for 6 years. I have stayed here because I love it. WHat is good: location, cleanliness, management responsiveness, quiet (no pets allowed and I hardly ever see any kids), also very safe especially on the 3rd avenue side where the museum's 24 hr security patrols and a neighborhood cop parks frequently. Not to like: possibly living on first or second floor if you are sensitive to noise or get unlucky to have a noisy neighbor above you. I would go for a 3rd floor if possible, all the apts have wood floors. Garage parking available for $50 a month otherwise off-street too with an office permit. Bus 11 picks up at 24th and you can be downtown in 10 mins. Museums as others have said, no charge at MIA and I think $3-5 at Hennepin. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

J

Old 03-02-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdress View Post
I live at Fair Oaks right now and have for 6 years. I have stayed here because I love it. WHat is good: location, cleanliness, management responsiveness, quiet (no pets allowed and I hardly ever see any kids), also very safe especially on the 3rd avenue side where the museum's 24 hr security patrols and a neighborhood cop parks frequently. Not to like: possibly living on first or second floor if you are sensitive to noise or get unlucky to have a noisy neighbor above you. I would go for a 3rd floor if possible, all the apts have wood floors. Garage parking available for $50 a month otherwise off-street too with an office permit. Bus 11 picks up at 24th and you can be downtown in 10 mins. Museums as others have said, no charge at MIA and I think $3-5 at Hennepin. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

J
Thank you so much! It's neat to get a first-hand account of the place. The apartments look great on the website but of course looks can be deceiving. I'd be sharing the place with a friend of mine. We're both very clean and quiet and we like to split an occasional bottle of wine. Do you think management would rent to two 20 and 21 year old students? Is it a youthful neighborhood in general? And if you dont mind me asking- how much do your utilities run in the winter and summer?

I should probably take most questions to DM... Oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul