Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:29 PM

207 posts, read 798,699 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to Minneapolis in September and I want to visit in July to find an apartment. Should I visit on July 2nd/3rd or is it better to wait a week after the beginning of the month? I imagine that some people might not turn in their notice right on time, but I also wonder if it's better to visit as early as possible in order to snap up the best apartment before someone else takes it?? Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 PM

66 posts, read 248,841 times
I think you'll find plenty of apartments around here at any given time of the month. To be sure though, monitor the online listings (startribune and craigslist) in the months leading up to your trip and see if you notice a pattern of better selections on different weekends of the month.

Unless you have the luxury of shopping around for months, try to rent the best available unit in your price range at the time you're ready to rent. And then stop reading the listings so you don't second guess your decision.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:51 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
I think the issue you might run into is the 4th of July holiday and not catching people home or available to show you places. Most landlords are pretty strict about giving notice so you won't find many that turn them in late.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:43 PM

Do you really think that would be an issue on July 2nd and 3rd, given it's not actually the weekend yet? I could come the week after or the week before? But if I come before July 1st then maybe some people wouldn't have given their notice yet....correct?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:48 PM

200 posts, read 600,615 times
I agree with what Golfgal said about people possibly being gone for the holiday. Yes, it's possible that it may not be an issue, but I'd say if you plan on coming up during that time, you should try to have at least a few appointments lined up beforehand so you at least are guaranteed to see a few places while you're here.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,134 times
I'm in the same boat as the OP--looking to move at the beginning of August, as I start grad school at the U of M at the end of that month. Trying to get a one-bedroom/studio in Uptown or Marcy-Holmes.

Is the rental market crazier/more competitive around that time because of new/returning students? How much time should I give myself to find a place to live? (I would love to not have to move for the entire 3 years of grad school, but maybe that's unreasonable to hope for.)

I'm really trying to decide whether I should make a separate trip at the beginning of July to find a place for August 1, or just drive to Minneapolis in the last week of July and hope for the best. Is a week enough time to find a decent place to live toward the end of the summer?

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-08-2009, 08:19 AM

200 posts, read 600,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palesuzie View Post
I'm in the same boat as the OP--looking to move at the beginning of August, as I start grad school at the U of M at the end of that month. Trying to get a one-bedroom/studio in Uptown or Marcy-Holmes.

Is the rental market crazier/more competitive around that time because of new/returning students? How much time should I give myself to find a place to live? (I would love to not have to move for the entire 3 years of grad school, but maybe that's unreasonable to hope for.)

I'm really trying to decide whether I should make a separate trip at the beginning of July to find a place for August 1, or just drive to Minneapolis in the last week of July and hope for the best. Is a week enough time to find a decent place to live toward the end of the summer?

Thanks for your help!
Yes, in my experience, the rental market does get a lot more competitive. Students are looking for places to live before school starts, and also it seems that many leases in general begin/end around July-September. It's not impossible to find a nice place. You just have to be somewhat aggressive and if you *really* like a place, I recommend that you grab it right away, because someone else definitely will. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 AM

So my dilemma is this: I'm planning to move to Minneapolis on September 1st. Do I visit August 1st or am I better off visiting some time in July...maybe the week after July 4th or perhaps even the week after that? I don't want to miss out. I understand that some landlords require two months notice while others require one month. Anyone have any idea of what is more common? Anyone have any suggestions about what I should do? I'm really hesitant to come down August 1st because I don't want to compete with all the other students looking for housing...

Old 03-11-2009, 10:57 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
I agree with Golfgal. July 4th is a Saturday and many employers are giving people the 3rd off as a paid holiday. That is probably the biggest long weekend cabin frenzy of the year so yes, you are going to run into issues if you try and look at apartments that week. I wouldn't be overly concerned about availability either. Availability of units should not be a problem at any specific set of dates this summer due to economic conditions.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palesuzie View Post

Thanks for your help!
I found that it works nicely to snipe the apartment that you want. If you stake out a few buildings and tell the landlord that you are interested you can usually get on their list. They will call you when somebody gives notice. It is pretty rare that nobody in a building would give notice. It can be competitive, but alot of places turn over. It is easier in my experience to have an Aug. 1 lease -- Sept. 1 gets people trying to save a month's rent by moving the week before class. August is quieter. If you come in July, someone has probably already given notice and you can sign ahead of move-in.
You will always be able to find something, but a trip in July usually means that you don't get the last pick of the neighborhood.
Finally, I have no idea why you would be forced to move during grad school. Mpls. isn't rent controlled, so a landlord has every incentive to hold onto long-term tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul