Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 7,605 times

Advertisements

I am considering a part wolf hybrid but I need to get him his shots and get himneutered, but some people have said that he will be taken away from me and the vet won't give him his shots...is it legal? where can I go to get this information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 11:39 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,107 times
I'm not sure. But since wolves and dogs are the same species (a dog is simply a long-domesticated and bred wolf) there is an argument that the term "hybrid" is not even applicable. I would check with the St. Paul Animal Control Center. They offer licenses for 3 classifications: "Dog," "Potentially Dangerous Dog," and "Dangerous Dog." The latter two can be licensed but also must be implanted with a microchip.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:02 PM

432 posts, read 1,659,678 times
Awesome post,a dog/wolf hybrid! Never heard of anyone that has one...

Old 03-07-2009, 09:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottGoneAwol88 View Post
I am considering a part wolf hybrid but I need to get him his shots and get himneutered, but some people have said that he will be taken away from me and the vet won't give him his shots...is it legal? where can I go to get this information?
You should not enter into this commitment lightly. A hybrid should be raised from a very young age and with another hybrid, they need companions of their own species. They need a large (40' X 40') enclosed pen at least 8 feet high, and should never be chained up. St Paul likely does not offer much in the way of opportunities or locations that could provide the space to house and exercise them adequately.

The fact that you seem to be mostly concerned with his shots and neutering leads me to think you have not thought about or researched the long term responsibilities and care that is needed. You will also have to deal with the prejudices of authorities and neighbors and one small slip-up will likely result in your hybrid being taken away and destroyed.

Carefully rethink your plan and consider adopting a needy dog from the St Paul Humane Society (651) 645-7387. St Paul is not the place to raise and care for a wolf hybrid.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:35 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Carefully rethink your plan and consider adopting a needy dog from the St Paul Humane Society (651) 645-7387. St Paul is not the place to raise and care for a wolf hybrid.
Good advice. Also, there is the Animal Shelter in St. Paul. I adopted a dog two years ago and the little guy is the most wonderful dog I have ever had. He was scared and timid for awhile, but all he needed was a good home.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
You will probably lose your homeowner's insurance if you have a wolf hybrid too. No, you don't have to tell them but they do spot checks and if they find out, you will be canceled immediately. Also, if you have a claim made against your insurance for a bite, for example, they won't have to pay out on that claim for failure to disclose pertinent information.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:28 AM

140 posts, read 542,443 times
Be very careful of wolf hybrids - they are not dogs and have instincts and behavior of a wolf. My friends wolf-hybrid would at times act out as a wild animal not a domesticated pet. It was a very large/powerful animal and could be imtimidating. She eventually had to have it put down when it bit a child. There are so many great dog breeds - a wolf hybrid is still a wolf!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:15 AM

432 posts, read 1,659,678 times
A wolf hybrid is still a dog,too lol!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
I'm pretty sure my dog is an ewok hybrid. Are those legal in the city?

Old 05-08-2009, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,255 times
Wolf dog hybrids are actually illegal in the Twin Cities area. They are unpredictable after they reach sexual maturity. Do your research and obtain information from QUALIFIED individuals such as your local authorities or those not only in canine veterinary and training fields, but also check with those experienced with wildlife as well. I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul