U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 10:03 AM

59 posts, read 297,478 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just have a few questions regarding levels of crime in the Grand Ave. (zip 55105) area. I work here, live in the suburbs (yes, I know, I'm sheltered.. don't need to hear that, lol.), and always thought Grand Avenue was known for being very historic (being only a block away from beautiful Summit Ave.), safe, and upscale.

However, as of late, a few of my colleagues' (3, to be exact) vehicles have been broken into, glass shattered all over the parking lot, and its even got video cameras, and is visible from the street (right across from CVS/Starbucks...Grand/Oxford).

I guess first things first, do I need to worry about walking to my car when it is dark out, or am I safe? I keep to myself, and don't mind other people, but I'd really like to prevent this from happening to my car too. Does anybody have any information about this area, and/or best practices for keeping safe from this kind of thing? Overall the area seems great, friendly people, nice places to go, but its obviously on a bus line that is probably also bringing in some people from the rougher sides of town.

Anyway, enough babbling. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 AM

2,506 posts, read 8,198,516 times
You aren't in any personal danger. Keep aware, don't walk with headphones in, survey the street for things that a logical person would avoid.
As for your car, don't leave things in it and try to park it in an area with more pedestrian activity. It is safer on the street than in the backlot of a pharmacy.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:18 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,445,090 times
Criminals do drive, too, of course. (sorry, not the question, but I do get frustrated with the frequent stereotyping of public transit users as problems.)

Otherwise I agree with Minnehahapolitan's advice. Grand is very safe, but as a more upscale area it makes a nice target for thieves. I wouldn't overly worry about it, other than to take basic common sense prevention measures.

If this is a lot you park in regularly you could try talking to the owners to see if they have any new security plans in place. They don't want this happening any more than you do. There might not be much more they can do, other than hiring security or something, but it might give you some peace of mind to know that they're on top of the problem.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:14 PM

88 posts, read 283,937 times
Grand is a safe place. I've spent a fair amount of time there day and night and have never seen much sketchiness. That being said, there is some crime (as with all neighborhoods) but I certainly wouldn't let that keep you away. As the other two said just be aware of your surroundings and shoot for lit/high pedestrian parking areas.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:02 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,443,750 times
Theft from cars happens in even the nicest neighborhoods. That is not a good indicator of crime trends.

You may see more of it in the Grand Avenue area because there is some money there (I wouldn't call it wealthy, but it may be upscale) and there is high population density. Otherwise, I would definitely consider it a safe area.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 15,131,204 times
Grand Ave is a very safe but also fairly dense, so crime will inevitably exist. I don't ever hear about violent crime there, just little stuff like some theft/vandalism, etc. The most severe event I've witnessed on Grand was a fight that started from two drunks coming out of Billys. It was winter at the time and the snow was perfect for making snowballs....and hillariousness ensued.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:39 PM

6,440 posts, read 15,542,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T. View Post
Hi everyone,

I just have a few questions regarding levels of crime in the Grand Ave. (zip 55105) area. I work here, live in the suburbs (yes, I know, I'm sheltered.. don't need to hear that, lol.), and always thought Grand Avenue was known for being very historic (being only a block away from beautiful Summit Ave.), safe, and upscale.

However, as of late, a few of my colleagues' (3, to be exact) vehicles have been broken into, glass shattered all over the parking lot, and its even got video cameras, and is visible from the street (right across from CVS/Starbucks...Grand/Oxford).

I guess first things first, do I need to worry about walking to my car when it is dark out, or am I safe? I keep to myself, and don't mind other people, but I'd really like to prevent this from happening to my car too. Does anybody have any information about this area, and/or best practices for keeping safe from this kind of thing? Overall the area seems great, friendly people, nice places to go, but its obviously on a bus line that is probably also bringing in some people from the rougher sides of town.

Anyway, enough babbling. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You!
Andrew, please disabuse yourself of the transit-brings-crime theory. This is a ruse that the talk radio blowhards use to stoke up angry taxpayers about funding the transit system. I was just on the 63 (Grand Ave.) bus twice last week. I don't break into cars, and I'm sure 99.9% of the other riders on this line don't either.

The reason Grand Ave is such a cool area is because it was developed on a transit line. It is able to maintain its density and viability in part because it is still served by transit. As a person who lives and works in the city and who commutes via transit, I get angry when transit users are stereotyped. As a person who cares about urban asthetics and the environment, I get even madder when the "don't tax me" anti- urban crowd tries to bring down the transit system.

If you are worried about your car on Grand Ave., just don't go there. (or better yet, leave your car at home and take the bus there).

If you still insist on bringing your car into the city, here's a hint: park along the street, not in a parking lot. Yes, parallel parking is challenging, but it is rare that a theif breaks into a car on a busy, brightly lit street. Also, if someone was going to mug you, it would be more likely they'd do it in a large parking lot than along the street.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:11 AM

86 posts, read 463,611 times
All he said is that the bus brings in people from the rougher side of town - are you saying that's not true? As an avid bus rider from the rougher side of town, I feel comfortable saying that it sounds like you folks are stereotyping yourselves.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:11 PM

6,440 posts, read 15,542,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNorthSide View Post
All he said is that the bus brings in people from the rougher side of town - are you saying that's not true? As an avid bus rider from the rougher side of town, I feel comfortable saying that it sounds like you folks are stereotyping yourselves.
Read his whole post. He's speculating that a reason why there is crime on Grand is because there is a bus line there. That's stereotypical reasoning.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:03 PM

86 posts, read 463,611 times
I did read his whole post. He said the bus line brings people in from a rougher part of town. Seems logical, not stereotypical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul