U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 07:23 PM

409 posts, read 1,126,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Density is the same at 6,700/sq mi. We should probably get back on topic.

Old Numbers, our new population for Milwaukee City is 610,000.
Where is your data from? Wikipedia lists Milwaukee at ~6,200 /sq mi and Minneapolis at ~6,700 /sq mi.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:32 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,297,763 times
Quote:
Same thing happened here with Midwest Airlines.
I love Midwest Airlines. Cookies!!

Old 03-25-2009, 03:41 PM

8,117 posts, read 20,494,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I love Midwest Airlines. Cookies!!
You can now buy them in stores around here, however it's obvious they don't taste the same, just like secret stadium sauce.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:14 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,216,076 times
I'm from Wisconsin, so I'm biased. But I still hate Milwaukee as a city. Parts of the downtown are nice, but many of the county parks have been abandoned because of lack of money. So they're run-down as hell.

And I've never driven on worse-quality roads in my entire life. I thought the roads in the Twin Cities were bad. They're nothing compared to those in Milwaukee.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:20 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,216,076 times
Quote:
[color=Black]Milwaukee and its suburbs are the home to the headquarters of 13 Fortune 1000 companies, including Johnson Controls,
Johnson Controls to cut jobs, close 10 plants (http://www.startribune.com/local/41967002.html - broken link)

Old 03-27-2009, 08:36 AM

8,117 posts, read 20,494,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Johnson Controls to cut jobs, close 10 plants (http://www.startribune.com/local/41967002.html - broken link)

D'oh

Old 01-26-2013, 01:58 AM

573 posts, read 923,108 times
The Twin Cities do not give off a feel of 3 million people. The suburbs are not very urban beyond the first ring and Minneapolis and St. Paul only cover 100 square miles. Driving on the freeway although pact with traffic does not give off a big city feel with most the development along them away from view giving the feel of driving in a rural area. The Twin Cities are very spread out and are dominated population wise by the hundreds of suburbs surrounding the central cities. There is only one light rail line but the green line is almost done and the southwest light rail will come after that and hopefully the Northstar commuter line will extend to St. Cloud where it will get utilized as it was ment to. There are many projects going on in Minneapolis especially downtown where there are maybe 20 plus large apartment projects going on including a grocery store and two 30 story apartment towers under construction, hopefully getting the downtown Minneapolis population to 70,000 people by 2020 and the are also many projects going up along the green line and blue line and many other project going up across the city.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:53 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,635,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAMinneapolitan View Post
The Twin Cities Metro Area is the 16th largest in the country. United States metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is this a surprise to you? Do you feel the population on a daily basis? We, who live here, are definitely not the small town folk described on "A Prairie Companion." What type of things do you do that are done because you are "Urbanized?"
It's not a surprise, but I don't necessarily "feel" the population like I do in other big metro areas. Actually, there are quite a lot of small town folksy people here in the TC. I'd say anyone over the age of 55 or so are still quite small townish in their world view (at least that's what I find when I talk with the 55+ crowd). Compared to other cities I've spent time in, the Twin Cities still feel smaller because of the relatively small inner urban ring. I think the "metro" area is quite large, but it's certainly not at all urbanlike. Once you get past that inner ring, the outer rings feel small townish to me. I live and work in the inner ring (St. Paul proper) and a few of the "urban" things I do are---use public transportation daily, eat at 'Mom & Pop' restaurants, drink coffee at independent coffee houses, and support local business owners (dry cleaners, salons, and the ever-shrinking independent bookstores). And, since moving back to the Twin Cities after a long time away, each job I have had was/is with a Minnesota-owned company.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:31 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,650,977 times
If it "felt" like a big city, I probably would have left. It feels like the midsize metros I've lived in all my life. We have some scarcely-managed problems, but we're more like the Queen Mary than the Titanic. We've got some agility that the monster metros don't have. Which makes it a very desirable compromise. But we have to push back against too many people rushing in and undermining what good we have. The bottom line is "people spoil everything". You promote anything and ultimately it goes downhill. I think we have more than adequate attraction without any proselytizing. The people who want to "promote" are looking for something really inane like better sports teams or big entertainers making it a must-stop. Those people suffer from "I don't have a life". They should definitely move to one of the big city messes that attrach all the stuff they want.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:10 PM

413 posts, read 645,462 times
There's a significant difference in feel between most cities east of the Mississippi and west of the Mississippi. Milwaukee is more like Chicago, Cleveland, Cinci, and St. Louis. Minneapolis is more like Kansas City, Denver, and Phoenix. The exceptions to this tend to be cities in the south that grew in the last couple decades, and San Francisco which has a very old, dense, eastern feel to some extent.

The latter cities tend to be a lot more spread out, while the former are older and more dense (or at least were more dense at one time.)

So to answer the original question, it depends on what you mean by feels like a big city. If you mean older cities with older neighborhoods like Milwaukee and Cleveland, no. If you mean newer and more spread out cities like Denver and KC, then yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or