U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Status: "Remember what the Dormouse said Feed your head" (set 7 days ago)

22,810 posts, read 24,017,741 times

Advertisements

I find these population estimates quite dubious and highly doubt that there is 3 million people in the Twin Cities. I drive in to work everyday for more than 30 miles on a major freeway and probably see no more than a hundred or so vehicles and just a handful of buses which probably contain at most a couple hundred people. Multiply that by all the other major and minor roads and that's at the most maybe 10,000 people going to work. Double that for the people who stay home and add another 5 or 10 thousand shoppers and customers and you have at most about 40,000 people in the Twin Cities
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 PM

191 posts, read 336,339 times
Chicago and Houston feel a lot bigger for some reason. Like huge

Old 01-27-2013, 02:53 AM

351 posts, read 716,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces69 View Post
That's because they are, Chi metro is 9.8 million. That is more than the whole state of Minnesota, 5.3 million....

Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 AM

100 posts, read 173,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
If it "felt" like a big city, I probably would have left. It feels like the midsize metros I've lived in all my life. We have some scarcely-managed problems, but we're more like the Queen Mary than the Titanic. We've got some agility that the monster metros don't have. Which makes it a very desirable compromise. But we have to push back against too many people rushing in and undermining what good we have. The bottom line is "people spoil everything". You promote anything and ultimately it goes downhill. I think we have more than adequate attraction without any proselytizing. The people who want to "promote" are looking for something really inane like better sports teams or big entertainers making it a must-stop. Those people suffer from "I don't have a life". They should definitely move to one of the big city messes that attrach all the stuff they want.
This could be one of the strangest things I've ever read on here.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 PM

15,412 posts, read 5,202,428 times
It would have been nice if "people spoil everything" could have been explained, but I'll give my take on what is probably meant by it. Minneapolis/St. Paul is less problematic than the previously mentioned Chicago and Houston from a congestion/crime/large slums standpoint. You could probably venture into the worst neighborhoods of north Minneapolis during daylight hours (accidentally by wrong turn, etc) and not be terribly stressed or scared and leave unharmed. You do that in Chicago and Houston and you are putting yourself at serious risk of harm!

Furthermore, I am sensing a little too much modesty for an area that is top 5 (at least) in live theater nationally while 16th most populated. I also do not know the specific store count for Nicollet Mall, but it was one of the first pedestrian downtown "malls" in the country. Compare the skyline today (Mpls, not St. Paul) to the one when Mary Tyler Moore threw her hat in the air back in 1970 and it feels significantly bigger. Heck, my Dad could not recognize downtown Minneapolis when he last visited and that was 1994! (Our family moved in 1972). He could not believe the number of new buildings and development that had occurred. We spent most of that time in San Jose, CA which is a city of nearly 900,000. Minneapolis has 400,000 and its downtown dwarfs that of San Jose. (No offense to anyone from San Jose reading this...it has wonderful weather and a lot going for it, too).You would guess the opposite on population numbers from viewing both downtowns. So far more people should be proud of what you have and not so modest when people who are clearly wrong say that it does not have that feel. Quality is more important than size, anyways!

Old 01-27-2013, 04:22 PM

573 posts, read 923,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces69 View Post
Does Houston really feel that big? I looked on google earth and in the residential area surrounding the downtown area of Houston I did not see any density it kind of looked like Bloomington with the houses so far apart from each other and huge yard. I didn't see anything that came even close to the density of Minneapolis at least structurally. Are there areas in Houston as dense as uptown in Minneapolis. Density to me has a lot to do with a big city feel.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,192,729 times
I highly doubt it has anything comparable to Uptown. Walkscore's breakdown of highly walkable neighborhoods and their populations gives you an idea, though.

Houston Neighborhoods | Walk Score

Minneapolis Neighborhoods | Walk Score

According to city-data Houston's top rated neighborhood of Montrose is basically Mpls' overall average density. For a city of under 400,000 it feels a good deal bigger and when you throw in St Paul, even more so.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,652,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politiker View Post
This could be one of the strangest things I've ever read on here.
Everybody seems to need to be a promoter. I don't. I'd rather let everybody flock to some place that hasn't got things together. For one thing, transplants add their voices to the chorus that laments the fact that their new location "lacks" something. If its so great to come to, shouldn't they be a voice for how great everything is already? In short, who needs more people to fault one's city?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,696,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Everybody seems to need to be a promoter. I don't. I'd rather let everybody flock to some place that hasn't got things together. For one thing, transplants add their voices to the chorus that laments the fact that their new location "lacks" something. If its so great to come to, shouldn't they be a voice for how great everything is already? In short, who needs more people to fault one's city?
What about the non-transplants who simply want to improve the metro? We are not at our pinnacle...MSP is far from perfect (but that doesn't stop me from loving it).

Old 01-28-2013, 03:00 PM

413 posts, read 645,657 times
Houston is just bizarre. It grew with basically no zoning, so it doesn't have as much of a traditional downtown as most cities, but rather several clusters of commercial districts. It sprawls on forever and is just a mess. I can't think of too many big cities I'd want to live in less than Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or