U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:34 AM

16 posts, read 14,051 times

Advertisements

The Twin Cities Metro Area is the 16th largest in the country. United States metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is this a surprise to you? Do you feel the population on a daily basis? We, who live here, are definitely not the small town folk described on "A Prairie Companion." What type of things do you do that are done because you are "Urbanized?"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 01:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,663,361 times
No. I don't feel it, though I know that population statistics quite some time. It is certainly no small town, but I think the Twin Cities is probably around 30th as far as the city feel goes and the variety of choices of most stuff it provides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAMinneapolitan View Post
The Twin Cities Metro Area is the 16th largest in the country. United States metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is this a surprise to you? Do you feel the population on a daily basis? We, who live here, are definitely not the small town folk described on "A Prairie Companion." What type of things do you do that are done because you are "Urbanized?"

Old 03-15-2009, 04:08 PM

6,001 posts, read 14,626,734 times
A couple points: Prairie Home Companion is mostly about MN's rural, not urban roots. Also, many people who live in the Metro area are from farms and small towns from outstate MN and the surrounding states, giving the feel of more of a rural vibe than you might expect of a metro of this size. This is more pronounced than in other Midwestern cities like Chicago, Milwaukee and Cleveland.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:05 PM

409 posts, read 1,126,477 times
Most people in the metro are definantly not from small towns and farms in state. The majority definantly grew up here.

Personally I do feel like we're a midsized city, probably because I spend most of my time in an urban environment. But at the same time, think of how sprawling our metro is; oftentimes I hear about suburbs that I have no remote idea as to where they are. We are a big place, even if a lot of us never leave small secions of it. Besides, think of all the amazing things we have here.

I certainly feel like we're a large metropolitan area, and I think that anyone who thinks otherwise is either not giving it much thought or looking at it from. A negative angle.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:19 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,663,361 times
One possible reason is that the city limits of Minneapolis and St. Paul are both small, with Minneapolis around 50th and St. Paul 70th. Even if they combine together, they still can't make it to the 20th I think. The fact that they are separated makes obtaining funding for grand high-density developments even more difficult, and thus the two cities play a relatively less important role in attracting the market around the metro to the cities than core cities of other metro areas. My feeling is that, most of the time Minneapolis only serves people IN Minneapolis. The suburbs around are so large that they have their only dining and shopping centers, etc, and they don't go to the city except for a football game or a broadway show several times a year, and they don't care what the city of Minneapolis is like. Some people even oppose that the central liberary is built in Minneapolis. I am glad it is finally builit, and it is a great addition to Twin Cities. Should this be built in one of the suburbs, it is not likely to look so good and be exposed so much to visitors. There is not a single shopping mall within the city limit of Minneapolis. There are just like ten shops on Nicollet Mall and lots of companies are based in the suburbs too, like 3M, NWA, General Mills, etc. The fact that these centers are distributed equally around Twin Cities makes none of them very special and well rounded, and makes the Twin Cities more like many small towns glued together than a large city.

Of course, all of the above are said RELATIVE to other metro areas with similar size. This is not a criticism of Twin Cities and I didn't say Twin Cities is just a small town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
A couple points: Prairie Home Companion is mostly about MN's rural, not urban roots. Also, many people who live in the Metro area are from farms and small towns from outstate MN and the surrounding states, giving the feel of more of a rural vibe than you might expect of a metro of this size. This is more pronounced than in other Midwestern cities like Chicago, Milwaukee and Cleveland.

Last edited by fashionguy; 03-15-2009 at 05:32 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 08:16 PM

6,001 posts, read 14,626,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
Most people in the metro are definantly not from small towns and farms in state. The majority definantly grew up here.

Personally I do feel like we're a midsized city, probably because I spend most of my time in an urban environment. But at the same time, think of how sprawling our metro is; oftentimes I hear about suburbs that I have no remote idea as to where they are. We are a big place, even if a lot of us never leave small secions of it. Besides, think of all the amazing things we have here.

I certainly feel like we're a large metropolitan area, and I think that anyone who thinks otherwise is either not giving it much thought or looking at it from. A negative angle.
You are correct. And so am I.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:51 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,311,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAMinneapolitan View Post
Is this a surprise to you?
Not really. I've always known that the Twin Cities were a local hub, dominant in the state of Minnesota, and second in influence only to Chicago in the upper midwest.

The specific position doesn't seem to mean a lot once you get away from the top few very large cities. I've lived in the Atlanta metro (which is #9) for 4.5 years now, for example, and it's a lot closer to the Twin Cities in size, area, and general structure than someplace like Chicago or LA would be.

Atlanta does admittedly feel somewhat different at times due to the huge percentage of transplants here, while the Twin Cities has a larger percentage of natives, and that can change the vibe of the place for newcomers, but overall the differences due to scale are minimal. IMO.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:35 AM

1,602 posts, read 2,966,743 times
I drive around the Twin Cities a lot, but spend the majority of my time in either of central cities or the inner ring of suburbia. It doesn't surprise me that we are #16 at all. In addition to the downtowns, there are several major urban corridors that are indicative of a larger city (Lake Street, University Ave, Central Ave, Grand Ave, Nicollet Ave, etc...).

Although Minneapolis may only be the 50th largest city now, that's more a function of its failure to annex the suburbs in the 1940s and 1950s. The key factor affecting its feel as a city was the growth along streetcar routes in the 1910s and 1920s, which left us our commercial nodes and corridors.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,690,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
No. I don't feel it, though I know that population statistics quite some time. It is certainly no small town, but I think the Twin Cities is probably around 30th as far as the city feel goes and the variety of choices of most stuff it provides.
I suggest you get out an travel to some of those metro areas and their central cities that rank between 17th and 30th in population size. Overall, Minneapolis and its metro has much more to offer than most areas listed below it.

Quote:
One possible reason is that the city limits of Minneapolis and St. Paul are both small, with Minneapolis around 50th and St. Paul 70th. Even if they combine together, they still can't make it to the 20th I think. The fact that they are separated makes obtaining funding for grand high-density developments even more difficult, and thus the two cities play a relatively less important role in attracting the market around the metro to the cities than core cities of other metro areas.
That's not necessarily true because if there is demand, developments will be built. It has to do more with the mindset people have here. The Twin Cities could sprawl to Duluth, Eau Claire, Rochester, and St. Cloud because people are willing to commute and want the large home with a big back yard.

Quote:
There is not a single shopping mall within the city limit of Minneapolis. There are just like ten shops on Nicollet Mall.
Very few central cities have shopping malls and in case you haven't noticed, there are plenty of shopping malls in our inner-ring suburbs. Let the suburbs have them and their huge parking lots.

Quote:
lots of companies are based in the suburbs too, like 3M, NWA, General Mills, etc. The fact that these centers are distributed equally around Twin Cities makes none of them very special and well rounded, and makes the Twin Cities more like many small towns glued together than a large city.
This is how it is throughout the country. Companies, large and small, build in the burbs because it's cheap and there is plenty of land to build and expand upon. Central cities attract financial firms (i.e. US Bank, Ameriprise, Thrivent Financial, Well Fargo, etc...), law firms, accounting firms, marketing firms, public relations, etc...

Last edited by BlackOut; 03-17-2009 at 01:52 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 07:36 PM

16 posts, read 14,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Very few central cities have shopping malls and in case you haven't noticed, there are plenty of shopping malls in our inner-ring suburbs. Let the suburbs have them and their huge parking lots.
I agree. I hate the sight of an empty parking lot in Minneapolis. And I hate huge ugly shopping centers. If a home depot ever crosses the city limits, you better believe were making that thing move right up to the sidewalk. Density rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or