Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 10:38 AM

42 posts, read 79,762 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking to buy a Single family house near UMN-Minneapolis campus for investment purpose. That means, I would be renting it to students and hope that part of monthly mortgage will be paid through rent. I also hope to sell it later .....like after 10 yrs and hope to make good money on it.

But in the process, I'm making lot of assumptions and I would like to hear from other people what are the factors that might make it a bad investment. I think that in the university area, housing is always in big demand but how good or bad students can be ..I've no idea. Also, if I sell the house after 10 yrs. then who's going to buy a house in university area...bcoz families don't like to live in the area and students can afford to buy a house. Has anybody on this forum had any experience with housing in UMN area. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 10:43 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Before you do that you should also consider that there are still families living in those neighborhoods and they have set rules and guidelines to prevent more single family housing to be converted to multi-unit rentals. Any non-rental owners in the neighborhood reading this post right now are probably getting red in the face and shaking their fist at the computer screen.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 03-16-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-16-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Before you do that you should also consider that there are still families living in those neighborhoods and they have set rules and guidelines to prevent more single family housing to be converted to multi-unit rentals.
I did not know anything about this. This is a new info. for me.

Quote:
Any non-rental owners in the neighborhood reading this post right now are probably getting red in the face and shaking their fist at the computer screen.
I didn't mean to hurt anybody but me and my husband have lived in an apt. very close to univ.(in dinkytown) for 4 yrs..until we were student and never saw a family with kids, not working for univ. living in that area. Some student family may choose to live there out of necessity but what I meant was that other people may not like the area to permanently live there. When we were there Friday nights were big parties all around...lots of cops...and staurday morning would be dead as if nobody exists in that area.

Anyway, I'm sorry if my post unintentionally hurt somebody's feelings.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:13 AM

Please review this article that recently came out in the startrib:

A little pushback in U rental market (http://www.startribune.com/local/37854834.html?elr=KArksUUUU - broken link)

Old 03-16-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Please review this article that recently came out in the startrib:

A little pushback in U rental market (http://www.startribune.com/local/37854834.html?elr=KArksUUUU - broken link)
Thank you so much. I'm going to read it...thanks.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:19 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Check out the renting forum, too. There's several posts about the pros and cons of renting to students. While I think students too often get hit with unfair blanket statements (I always paid the rent on time, took care of my place, and was, I think, a decent tenant) it's probably true that as a group they're far more hands-on.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:22 PM

It depends on the tenants, there are also tenants that take very good care of their place but then throw a party for 150 people. There is no way you can throw a college party without at least something breaking or getting horribly stained. I don't know what percentage of college students throw parties but it's pretty high. Unless the students you're renting to are in health and wellness chances are they will throw at least one party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul