Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 12:28 PM

207 posts, read 798,464 times

Advertisements

Anyone have anything to say about Northeast? I hear it is an up-and-coming neighbourhood with a lot to offer, not as trendy and popular as Uptown but a decent alternative. I am a 31-year-old future grad student moving to Minneapolis in September and am seeking a one bedroom rental in a neighbourhood that has some charm but doesn't need to be the coolest place in the city or anything. Trees would be nice. Grocery store(s) in walking distance. Safety is a concern. I hear Northeast is quieter than Uptown, which appeals to me. I'm rather wary of moving to Uptown because of the high rent. I'd rather find a decent place elsewhere and pay a bit less. Again, I don't need to be "where it's at" but I would like to be somewhere that has some appeal. I like the idea of living somewhere that is not quite trendy yet but getting there....

Please, tell me all that you know about Northeast!! Many thanks in advance!

P.S. I will be at the Minneapolis campus on the east bank... (and I have no desire to live in Dinkytown or anywhere near it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 02:37 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,240 times
I grew up in Northeast and know the area very well. If you want to walk to a grocery store, then the area around the Quarry Shopping Center would work for you (just off the Johnson Street & Stinson Blvd. exits from 35W). In addition to Rainbow Foods, it also has a Target, Home Depot, Old Navy, Office Max, etc. as well as a couple of fast food outlets. There are a number of apartment buildings within a couple of blocks.

That area is also convenient to the U of M - just straight down Stinson Blvd, though there's a little jog at Como Av. There is also a large selection of ethnic grocers and restaurants along Central Avenue, just 7 blocks east of the Quarry. Definitely check out the Holyland Deli and grocery store! If safety is a concern, then introduce yourself at the Police Station on Central. They can offer some tips and advice for the area. I've always found them helpful and responsive.

The area is also close to a lot of art galleries and the hub of the annual Art-A-Whirl, sponsored by the NE Minneapolis Arts Association. The crawl includes more than 500 artists and happens on the 3rd weekend in May. The website has a handy downloadable map of Northeast.

"Lower" NE, roughly south of Lowry Avenue and east of Johnson St., is pretty convenient to downtown Minneapolis. Duplexes abound in these areas and it's fairly easy to find a decent rental property. Look for those that are owner-occupied and generally you'll be fine. "Upper" NE is more single-family homes. Major bus lines are along Marshall, Central Johnson and Stinson, but there are several other routes through the area too. Check out the MTC website for maps.

NE has long been known as a stopping off point for immigrants for almost 100 years. Russian, Polish, Ukranian and Italian influences are still there, along with the more recent arrivals of Mexican, Somali, and SE Asian immigrants.

Generally, most of the Twin Cities' residential neighborhoods have a lot of trees. And the fact that the park system is among the best in the US means you'll have lots of greenery - at least during the summer!

Welcome, and good luck!

Last edited by Astron1000; 03-24-2009 at 02:52 PM..

Old 03-25-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
I grew up in Northeast and know the area very well. If you want to walk to a grocery store, then the area around the Quarry Shopping Center would work for you (just off the Johnson Street & Stinson Blvd. exits from 35W). In addition to Rainbow Foods, it also has a Target, Home Depot, Old Navy, Office Max, etc. as well as a couple of fast food outlets. There are a number of apartment buildings within a couple of blocks.

That area is also convenient to the U of M - just straight down Stinson Blvd, though there's a little jog at Como Av. There is also a large selection of ethnic grocers and restaurants along Central Avenue, just 7 blocks east of the Quarry. Definitely check out the Holyland Deli and grocery store! If safety is a concern, then introduce yourself at the Police Station on Central. They can offer some tips and advice for the area. I've always found them helpful and responsive.

The area is also close to a lot of art galleries and the hub of the annual Art-A-Whirl, sponsored by the NE Minneapolis Arts Association. The crawl includes more than 500 artists and happens on the 3rd weekend in May. The website has a handy downloadable map of Northeast.

"Lower" NE, roughly south of Lowry Avenue and east of Johnson St., is pretty convenient to downtown Minneapolis. Duplexes abound in these areas and it's fairly easy to find a decent rental property. Look for those that are owner-occupied and generally you'll be fine. "Upper" NE is more single-family homes. Major bus lines are along Marshall, Central Johnson and Stinson, but there are several other routes through the area too. Check out the MTC website for maps.

NE has long been known as a stopping off point for immigrants for almost 100 years. Russian, Polish, Ukranian and Italian influences are still there, along with the more recent arrivals of Mexican, Somali, and SE Asian immigrants.

Generally, most of the Twin Cities' residential neighborhoods have a lot of trees. And the fact that the park system is among the best in the US means you'll have lots of greenery - at least during the summer!

Welcome, and good luck!
Thanks! Would you say that this neighbourhood is safe? I'm particularly interested in the area you mention above around the Quarry. Also, how does Northeast compare to an area like Uptown?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:36 PM

Also, is this the "trendy" area of Northeast or within walking distance of it? If not, where would that be and are there apartments around there? I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment in a quiet building.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,240 times
Hi there! I got your PM but somehow can't reply to it so I'll post here.

In general NE Minneapolis has always been a pretty stable, blue-collar neighborhood. Nothing fancy and pretty safe. Probably the only "trendy" area would be the zone closest to downtown - around the East Hennepin shopping district. (http://www.northeastminneapolis.com/something.html - broken link) (Look at the map at that link.) This part of NE is just across the river from downtown Minneapolis, but it's probably the most expensive area of NE as well. But hey, it's worth investigating. And it's literally five minutes from the East Bank campus of the U. And it's the home of one of my faves, the Wilde Roast Cafe. Not many restaurants can claim the cover of Bon Appetit magazine!

Northeast is not nearly as trendy as Uptown. Uptown has the Chain of Lakes going for it, plus higher-end apartments, condos, shops and the like. But NE has far more artist galleries and studios. I think the best thing you could do is find a place that has a 6-month, or month-to-month lease. Learn the area and find what feels right to you. You might rather be in Uptown, though it's a much less convenient commute to the U of M.

Another neighborhood you might want to consider is Seward. It's just south of the University about a mile and is pretty diverse, with lots of great restaurants too. I've had friends who have lived there and have been pretty happy with it. It's also really convenient to both downtowns.

In general, safety is not a concern in Minneapolis IMO. There are a few parts of Near North and Near South Minneapolis that are dicey, but it's nothing like a lot of other major cities in the Midwest. (And, frankly, nothing like St. Louis or, god forbid, Detroit!) Both inner cities are pretty safe. You mentioned the area around 19th & Central. Well, the Police Precinct station is right on that corner so I wouldn't worry about it at all! I owned a large house near 18th & Fillmore for 15 years. I could probably count on one hand when I had to call the police - and that was usually due to loud parties or domestic spats. Typical for a large city.

Getting back to Northeast, as far as noise goes, if you take an apartment on Central Av understand that it's a pretty busy street though it's great for restaurants and ethnic shopping. I'd suggest the apartment buildings and duplexes just north of The Quarry (in the Windom Park area of NE) if you want something a little quieter.

But hey, every building is different. Go ahead and knock on a few doors in the early evening and talk to residents. They'll let you know if the place is sleepy, or full of crazies!

P.S. You should also check out the neighborhoods of St. Paul. It's a terrific city and the Merriam Park and Highland areas are almost as close to the University as NE Minneapolis. It's also probably a little more expensive, but really, really nice.

Last edited by Astron1000; 03-26-2009 at 10:32 PM..

Old 03-26-2009, 11:10 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
I think Astron1000 has some great advice, but I would disagree that Uptown is a more difficult commute to the U - Uptown has some very fast, frequently running express buses providing direct, express service. It's true that the regular, non-express buses are slower, but the other buses run often enough - and are fast enough - that it's not an issue.

The Quarry is a big ugly sprawling strip mall, although it does have some useful stores (and there are some nice duplexes/houses in the area). If you go the NE route I think you're better off - based on what I think you want based on your posting, anyway - sticking towards the East Hennepin area referenced above, also sometimes called St. Anthony, Marcy-Holmes, and Northeast (terminology and exact borders overlap, but it's basically the various neighborhoods near the Stone Arch Bridge across from downtown). I've lived in both Marcy-Holmes and Uptown, and I think there are a lot of similiaries, as well as enough differences to make each distinctive and interesting in their own way.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think Astron1000 has some great advice, but I would disagree that Uptown is a more difficult commute to the U - Uptown has some very fast, frequently running express buses providing direct, express service. It's true that the regular, non-express buses are slower, but the other buses run often enough - and are fast enough - that it's not an issue.

The Quarry is a big ugly sprawling strip mall, although it does have some useful stores (and there are some nice duplexes/houses in the area). If you go the NE route I think you're better off - based on what I think you want based on your posting, anyway - sticking towards the East Hennepin area referenced above, also sometimes called St. Anthony, Marcy-Holmes, and Northeast (terminology and exact borders overlap, but it's basically the various neighborhoods near the Stone Arch Bridge across from downtown). I've lived in both Marcy-Holmes and Uptown, and I think there are a lot of similiaries, as well as enough differences to make each distinctive and interesting in their own way.
Thanks! I still think I might end up in Uptown. I've heard that Uptown is nicer than Marcy-Holmes from many people I talked to when I came to visit last month. I like to run and would like to live somewhere that is a bit more scenic/picturesque. I also like the idea of been close to lots of shops and restaurants.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Hi there! I got your PM but somehow can't reply to it so I'll post here.

In general NE Minneapolis has always been a pretty stable, blue-collar neighborhood. Nothing fancy and pretty safe. Probably the only "trendy" area would be the zone closest to downtown - around the East Hennepin shopping district. (http://www.northeastminneapolis.com/something.html - broken link) (Look at the map at that link.) This part of NE is just across the river from downtown Minneapolis, but it's probably the most expensive area of NE as well. But hey, it's worth investigating. And it's literally five minutes from the East Bank campus of the U. And it's the home of one of my faves, the Wilde Roast Cafe. Not many restaurants can claim the cover of Bon Appetit magazine!

Northeast is not nearly as trendy as Uptown. Uptown has the Chain of Lakes going for it, plus higher-end apartments, condos, shops and the like. But NE has far more artist galleries and studios. I think the best thing you could do is find a place that has a 6-month, or month-to-month lease. Learn the area and find what feels right to you. You might rather be in Uptown, though it's a much less convenient commute to the U of M.

Another neighborhood you might want to consider is Seward. It's just south of the University about a mile and is pretty diverse, with lots of great restaurants too. I've had friends who have lived there and have been pretty happy with it. It's also really convenient to both downtowns.

In general, safety is not a concern in Minneapolis IMO. There are a few parts of Near North and Near South Minneapolis that are dicey, but it's nothing like a lot of other major cities in the Midwest. (And, frankly, nothing like St. Louis or, god forbid, Detroit!) Both inner cities are pretty safe. You mentioned the area around 19th & Central. Well, the Police Precinct station is right on that corner so I wouldn't worry about it at all! I owned a large house near 18th & Fillmore for 15 years. I could probably count on one hand when I had to call the police - and that was usually due to loud parties or domestic spats. Typical for a large city.

Getting back to Northeast, as far as noise goes, if you take an apartment on Central Av understand that it's a pretty busy street though it's great for restaurants and ethnic shopping. I'd suggest the apartment buildings and duplexes just north of The Quarry (in the Windom Park area of NE) if you want something a little quieter.

But hey, every building is different. Go ahead and knock on a few doors in the early evening and talk to residents. They'll let you know if the place is sleepy, or full of crazies!

P.S. You should also check out the neighborhoods of St. Paul. It's a terrific city and the Merriam Park and Highland areas are almost as close to the University as NE Minneapolis. It's also probably a little more expensive, but really, really nice.
Wow, thanks a lot for your response! I have a lot to think about. I will look into Seward and Merriam Park. I am really wary of living too close to the university...I'd rather not live in a neighborhood that has a lot of undergrads. I'm willing to endure a longer commute in order to distance myself from that scene.

I *could* opt for a month-to-month lease but I really would rather try to get it right the first time because I hate moving and can't afford it anyway. That's why I'm posting here so frequently. Trying to do as much research as I can before I have to make decisions. I'm really, really grateful for the help I've received on this board thus far. I also just discovered that I can get street views on Google maps, which is REALLY cool! I "walked" around some of the NE neighbourhoods yesterday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul