Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:41 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,062 times

Advertisements

And, at least in Minneapolis, you'll get Svenskarnasdag!

And the American Swedish Institute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 02:05 AM

844 posts, read 1,280,576 times
Minneapolis is definitely cheaper to live and has all the social amenities that Portland has (more IMO..sports teams, larger population, greater variety and slightly bigger nightlife). The one thing the twin cities dont have that portland, and pretty much all other pacific northwest cities does is outdoors life. Yes, theres a parkway and plenty of parks rivers and lakes, but as anyone who has lived in or frequently visited the pacific northwest and the twin cities (to be able to compare the two) will tell you, the difference is noticeable. There are no real ski resorts, very few non-made made vistas, the hiking areas are either man made or grown over former farmlands (drastically different than the Pac north west forests/rainforests).

I personally am looking to move back from the Minneapolis area to either portland, seattle, spokane, missoula or the Redding CA area upon completion of school.

Another thing to remember that I am sure others have told you here, winter in MN is NOT a joke or overblown stereotype, it is deathly cold in the winter. Especially compared to CA. And you WILL notice it.

If you can handle that, its a great place to live and raise kids. The people here are less social and very standoffish compared to the west coast. That also takes getting used to, and can be annoying at times. At the same time, they have a much better sense of tact and politeness than out west. Even if usually it is more "minnesota ice" than "minnesota nice".

Definetly rent out here to test it out before moving for good. A lot of people I know actually up and came here like you may be planning to, and didnt initially like it but were already starting to root and choose to stay and get used to it (its a very easy place to 'root' your life in). Just make sure its where you want to be beforehand and youll be ok.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:28 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
The only other part of the country I place above Minnesota is the Pacific NW. I stay here because of friends and family, but I'd move to Oregon or Washington in a heartbeat.

I agree with everything that Tindo said except that there is plenty of natural hiking trails in parks like Hidden Falls and definitely all around Minnesota as there is so much rural area in this state. There are really only 4 big cities in this large state. Don't underestimate the advantages of living in Saint Paul, either, though I'd prefer sending my kids to suburban schools, but you have to be selective about those too.

It is "Minnesota Ice" at times but there is a gentleness, trustfulness, and naievete in the people here which is quite winning. They mean no harm and really aren't all that street-wise and can be easily taken advantage of. Don't expect them to rush to invite you into their homes - they reserve that mostly for family and old friends. Great place to raise kids - anywhere here.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Eden Prairie, to me, seems like no man's land compared to the other places. But that's only how I myself see it.
I preferred living in both east Bloomington and Minnetonka to Eden Prairie, to be honest, but we just happened to find a property in Eden Prairie that we liked at the time.

We did find one we liked better on the Bloomington side of 169, but it flew off the market before we could get a bid in. I'm still kicking myself for that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul