Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 AM

7 posts, read 20,281 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a day trip for this weekend...

I am fairly new to the twin cities and I would like to get out of town for a little while and take a quick trip...
I plan on taking my motorcycle so trying to avoid interstates and scenic routes would be best.
I will be leaving from the west side of town - Plymouth
Looking for a nice drive with maybe a few stops - historic sites / neat restaurants / photo ops..

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 09:57 AM

812 posts, read 2,172,683 times
I've never been there but I hear New Ulm is a nice, historic town to visit. It's just NW of Mankato.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:24 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
We like to take day trips too, here is how I'd rank the recent trips we've taken.
1. Duluth - although we did it in a weekend, it can be done in a day if you leave early enough. Beautiful views overlooking Lake Superior, I also recommend stopping at Jay Cooke State Park which is nearby. Jay Cooke State Park: Minnesota DNR We will definitely be going back to Duluth in the near future.

2. Eau Claire - We took a day trip to Eau Claire to check out the university and town and it was decent trip to take once (probably not worth a repeat visit). The area around campus and the walking bridge across the river was the highlight. Also, check out the bars, restaurants and shops along Water St.

3. Mankato - We weren't impressed with Mankato. The river going through the town is completely walled off in the downtown area and it seems there was no effort at all to create a river-park area. The town is uninspired, the downtown/old town areas are pretty bland were completlely dead on a fair weather Saturday. The campus ambience was subpar at best. I have no desire to return. The one thing I liked about the drive was going through a couple cool small towns, especially St. Peter. I've always been a fan of towns built on hills.

The next location on our list is Stillwater and I have high hopes.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 05-29-2009 at 10:48 AM..

Old 05-29-2009, 10:46 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
I've never been there but I hear New Ulm is a nice, historic town to visit. It's just NW of Mankato.
Good one! And you can take a tour of the Schell Brewery while you are there.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:50 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
We like to take day trips too, here is how I'd rank the recent trips we've taken.
1. Duluth - although we did it in a weekend, it can be done in a day if you leave early enough. Beautiful views overlooking Lake Superior, I also recommend stopping at Jay Cooke State Park which is nearby. Jay Cooke State Park: Minnesota DNR We will definitely be going back to Duluth in the near future.

2. Eau Claire - We took a day trip to Eau Claire to check out the university and town and it was decent trip to take once (probably not worth a repeat visit). The area around campus and the bridge across the river was the highlight. Also, check out the bars, restaurants and shops along Water St.

3. Mankato - We weren't impressed with Mankato. The river going through the town is completely walled off in the downtown area and it seems there was no effort at all to create a river-park area. The town is uninspired, the downtown/old town areas are pretty bland were completlely dead on a fair weather Saturday. The campus ambience was subpar at best. I have no desire to return. The one thing I liked about the drive was going through a couple cool small towns, especially St. Peter. I've always been a fan of towns built on hills.

The next location on our list is Stillwater and I have high hopes.
A day trip to Duluth on a motorcycle would be great! I'd get off I-35 at Askov (about 1/2 way there?) the take State Hwy 23 all the way into Duluth. It's a beautiful drive through the woods. Very low traffic and just a couple small towns along the way. Jay Cooke State Park (one of my favorites in the state) is just a couple miles off this highway. Following 23 into Duluth takes you through some interesting neighborhoods. Have fun!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:24 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,557 times
My suggestion is to take Highway 61 south along the Mississippi River. Red Wing is a great town, with a nice setting amid the river bluffs and great architecture. Next are Lake City, Lake Pepin and Wabasha which are also worth stopping at. I'd continue into Winona, a nice college town with a somewhat sleepy, but not too bad downtown. The main attraction would be the scenery along the river, with nice bluffs, lots of curves along the highway and some rock outcroppings (Sugar Loaf "Mountain" in Winona), plus Lake Pepin is beautiful.

From there you could either circle back and come up along the Wisconsin side (towns like Stockholm are very scenic), or you could cut over to check out Rochester and, possibly, Northfield.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:10 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
My suggestion is to take Highway 61 south along the Mississippi River. Red Wing is a great town, with a nice setting amid the river bluffs and great architecture. Next are Lake City, Lake Pepin and Wabasha which are also worth stopping at. I'd continue into Winona, a nice college town with a somewhat sleepy, but not too bad downtown. The main attraction would be the scenery along the river, with nice bluffs, lots of curves along the highway and some rock outcroppings (Sugar Loaf "Mountain" in Winona), plus Lake Pepin is beautiful.

From there you could either circle back and come up along the Wisconsin side (towns like Stockholm are very scenic), or you could cut over to check out Rochester and, possibly, Northfield.
This is what I would do too. If you have time, drive down to LaCrosse--BEAUTIFUL there!

You could go north on 95 out of Stillwater along the St. Croix too.

New Ulm is OK, nothing great. Red Wing, Northfield and Stillwater are better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul