Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:54 AM
p60 p60 started this thread

3 posts, read 7,584 times

Advertisements

I have a job lined up in Roseville and will be moving here as soon as I can find a place. I know a little about the area already as I've visted here a few times and have done some research, but I wouldn't mind some more input in the decision process of where to live.

I'm looking for a place to live, something preferably urban, densley populated, where I can get to just about anything, stores, church, restaurants, entertainment all within walking distance or a short bus ride. While I plan to keep my car, I hope not to have to use it much. I realize there are several places where I could take a bus to Rosedale mall, which is pretty close to where I'll work.

It would be nice to be somewhere that facilitates meeting other single women, and to make friends my age with similar interests. I enjoy getting outside, hanging out in parks, going out on the town with friends, seeing art displays, hearing live music, etc.

Anyone have any ideas on a good spot for someone like me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 AM

989 posts, read 2,962,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p60 View Post
I have a job lined up in Roseville and will be moving here as soon as I can find a place. I know a little about the area already as I've visted here a few times and have done some research, but I wouldn't mind some more input in the decision process of where to live.

I'm looking for a place to live, something preferably urban, densley populated, where I can get to just about anything, stores, church, restaurants, entertainment all within walking distance or a short bus ride. While I plan to keep my car, I hope not to have to use it much. I realize there are several places where I could take a bus to Rosedale mall, which is pretty close to where I'll work.

It would be nice to be somewhere that facilitates meeting other single women, and to make friends my age with similar interests. I enjoy getting outside, hanging out in parks, going out on the town with friends, seeing art displays, hearing live music, etc.

Best thing you can do is understand how the buses flow to your work location. You might end up in a situation where you need to transfer, which can add a lot of time to your trip. Sounds like somewhere near downtown might be your best bet, or perhaps something in Roseville.

Three general areas come to mind. Around the U, Northeast, and uptown.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 AM

27 posts, read 108,517 times
I would also piggyback on the recommendations of Uptown and Northeast Minneapolis. Northeast Minneapolis is a pretty cool eclectic neighborhood, with a good location. It's got a lot of creativity running through it's veins, so-to-speak. Its also fairly easy to find something nice with a good price. It's close to Roseville and near enough to downtown Minneapolis that it'd be a short bus ride to the attractions of downtown.

I think I would recommend Uptown to you a little more though, based on the interests you laid down. I currently live in Uptown and, while it's not ideal for me, it sounds like it could be a good fit for you. It's very densely populated, there are tons of restaurants, coffee shops, places to catch some entertainment, and its an extremely artsy neighborhood. The people and attractions are full of color, interest, and intrigue.

There are also the lakes...for being outside. Winter is a bit more calm, but once the sun shines...the waters are abuzz with people. There are lots of running/walking/biking trails around the area. Many people prefer to travel by bike, as a matter of fact. There are plenty of bus stops as well to help you get to work, one of the many good churches around the Metro, and all sorts of spots of interest.

Lastly, Uptown is a pretty good mix of folks as well. I would say that it is predominantly young people. I am in my 20s as well and find that most I pass on the streets are around my age. I would put the most common age range around 20 to early 30s, a good portion of them singles. Still, there are a good deal of families and people in their 40s and 50s.

The major con about Uptown is that it can be pretty pricey. I pay almost $1200 for a 950 sq. ft. 1 + Den apartment. Not cool. It'll take some scouting to find a place that you love and is of interest to you. I recommend staying near the lakes as well as the charm of Uptown tends to deplete as you move away from them. Parking is also a little suck-ish around the area as well, so try to find a place with a lot (as rare as that is.)

Otherwise, I have some friends who live in the Warehouse District of Minneapolis and love it. I also enjoy the area. Then you're in walking distance to the things of downtown and near the light rail too.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:41 PM

409 posts, read 1,241,747 times
Quote:

Uptown is probably the place for you. Lots of hip restaraunts, bars, and shops right there, pretty close to the clubs and music scene downtown, and right by the lakes. Did I mention the the Thomas Beach area on the south side of Lake Calhoun is literally THE place for a single twenty-something to be on a Saturday afternoon?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:00 PM
p60 p60 started this thread

3 posts, read 7,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarkmn View Post
I would also piggyback on the recommendations of Uptown and Northeast Minneapolis. Northeast Minneapolis is a pretty cool eclectic neighborhood, with a good location. It's got a lot of creativity running through it's veins, so-to-speak. Its also fairly easy to find something nice with a good price. It's close to Roseville and near enough to downtown Minneapolis that it'd be a short bus ride to the attractions of downtown.

I think I would recommend Uptown to you a little more though, based on the interests you laid down. I currently live in Uptown and, while it's not ideal for me, it sounds like it could be a good fit for you. It's very densely populated, there are tons of restaurants, coffee shops, places to catch some entertainment, and its an extremely artsy neighborhood. The people and attractions are full of color, interest, and intrigue.

There are also the lakes...for being outside. Winter is a bit more calm, but once the sun shines...the waters are abuzz with people. There are lots of running/walking/biking trails around the area. Many people prefer to travel by bike, as a matter of fact. There are plenty of bus stops as well to help you get to work, one of the many good churches around the Metro, and all sorts of spots of interest.

Lastly, Uptown is a pretty good mix of folks as well. I would say that it is predominantly young people. I am in my 20s as well and find that most I pass on the streets are around my age. I would put the most common age range around 20 to early 30s, a good portion of them singles. Still, there are a good deal of families and people in their 40s and 50s.

The major con about Uptown is that it can be pretty pricey. I pay almost $1200 for a 950 sq. ft. 1 + Den apartment. Not cool. It'll take some scouting to find a place that you love and is of interest to you. I recommend staying near the lakes as well as the charm of Uptown tends to deplete as you move away from them. Parking is also a little suck-ish around the area as well, so try to find a place with a lot (as rare as that is.)

Otherwise, I have some friends who live in the Warehouse District of Minneapolis and love it. I also enjoy the area. Then you're in walking distance to the things of downtown and near the light rail too.
I've heard a lot of good things about uptown but I'm a bit concerned about the distance, particularly if I'm interested in bussing or possibly biking to work. I've heard that driving past Minneapolis on I94 during rush hour isn't quick or easy either.

I guess if can live in Northeast and still find what I'm looking for, then I'd do that, just to be closer to work. I probably wouldnt want to live right by the U, because if all I'm near is college students that would eventually get on my nerves.

How are the Midway and Como areas? That seems like it's pretty close to where I'll be working and has good bus service to work in Roseville and everywhere else. It looks like it's also close to the Lake Como, which I hear is pretty nice (I'm not sure how it compares to the lakes in Minneapolis).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Best thing you can do is understand how the buses flow to your work location. You might end up in a situation where you need to transfer, which can add a lot of time to your trip. Sounds like somewhere near downtown might be your best bet, or perhaps something in Roseville.

Three general areas come to mind. Around the U, Northeast, and uptown.
Yeah, a transfer just to get to work does not sound like fun. Are there any places near the U that are not dominated by college students? While I might enjoy the urban environment, I wouldn't want to get too annoyed being surrounded by only college students.

Are there any good places in Roseville that you'd recommend? It'd be nice to live real close to work, but if my life ends up being worse because the living location not being compatible with what I do after work, then that could be an issue. I just don't want to feel like I'm out in the suburbs with a bunch of families and nothing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
Did I mention the the Thomas Beach area on the south side of Lake Calhoun is literally THE place for a single twenty-something to be on a Saturday afternoon?
Do people chat each other up on the beaches there and take it beyond that (like go on a date, etc)? Or are you just referring to the eye candy?

Last edited by p60; 03-29-2009 at 09:15 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 AM

27 posts, read 108,517 times
Uptown can be a slight hike to Roseville, so the Northeast would be a better distance to your workplace. I worked in Northeast Minneapolis while living in Uptown and I was interested in taking the bus at once time, but it was going to get a bit long. To get from where I live to the Rosedale Center by 8:00 a.m., it could take up to an hour. Gross.

Check out the Metro Transit website for their trip planner to see what a possible bus commute could be like. Metro Transit Trip Planner

But the Como area is wonderful. I can't speak much about Midway, I've not been much. I love the Como area. One of my very best friends lives there so I spend a lot of time around the area. She lives within a block of both Como Park/Zoo and the MN State Fair Grounds. It is a charming area (and no, charming is not code for cheap and quirky in this case.) There are plenty of trees and the people are very friendly. HOWEVER...I like it so much because I am not a fan of super urbanized settings. I warn you that it isn't very urban at all. Its much more rural and quiet, with more families and less to do, as is Roseville for the most part. So, the closer you get to Roseville, the more rural and less urban your setting will become.

This is partially because, for whatever reason, St. Paul is the quieter of the two cities. Most suburbs of St. Paul tend to follow that lead as well. It really is a lovely place to live though. There seems to be a lot more available to rent for much less than Minneapolis and related suburbs. However, the Northeast can also be priced very reasonably. IT would be the urban environment you desire, plus is a compromise between activities and a reasonable commute to work.

Good luck on your continued search!

Old 03-31-2009, 01:47 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Why not look near Grand Avenue or in Highland Park in St. Paul. It has a hipness factor and its a bit quieter than Uptown but much closer.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:56 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
I haven't lived in Midway, but from my visits there (and research into it as a possible place to buy) I think it would be well worth considering, especially if it has good transit options to your work. I grew up in Uptown (and think it's a GREAT place) but if I were you I'd stick with something closer to your work. Midway is urban, has young people, is convenient, and seems like a great option.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 PM

409 posts, read 1,241,747 times
Quote:

Do people chat each other up on the beaches there and take it beyond that (like go on a date, etc)? Or are you just referring to the eye candy?
I would assume so. There's always pickup frisbee and beach volleyball going on. Certainly seems like it would be a good place to pick up a date if you were trying to.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
I would assume so. There's always pickup frisbee and beach volleyball going on. Certainly seems like it would be a good place to pick up a date if you were trying to.
Ha, speaking as someone who was single and renting in uptown with 2 other single guys a few years ago, my response to that is GOOD LUCK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul