Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 PM

36 posts, read 92,734 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was thinking about moving up to Minneapolis, and was wondering about public transit to Normandale. I looked at the bus routes and it seemed like there was only one bus line from downtown Minneapolis to Normandale and that was it. Is this correct?

I wouldn't mind a mile or two walk, but Normandale seems sort of in the middle of nowhere as far as public transit. Does anyone here have any experience with this, or with Normandale in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:05 PM

109 posts, read 307,321 times
Transit commuting options out this way are very limited. I worked in Bloomington not too far from Normandale College. I looked at bus options to get to work and was very disappointed. Most commutes go into town during rush hour, not out into the suburbs at rush hour. The 18 bus is one of the few that will get you within about a couple miles of there, but it takes about an hour to do so, leaving from downtown minneapolis.

That would be your best option if you are looking to take the bus there.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Normandale is pretty mush the Harvard of community colleges. Since the Univ. of Minn. abolished the general college a few years back, there has been a program which allows you to be guaranteed transfer to the Univ. of Minn. upon completion of your Associates. It is also a bargain financially.
Public transit is horrible in west Bloomington, but the BE Line bus will get you there from Southdale in Edina, which in turn can be reached by the #6 from Downtown and Uptown.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:40 AM

989 posts, read 2,961,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Normandale is pretty mush the Harvard of community colleges. Since the Univ. of Minn. abolished the general college a few years back, there has been a program which allows you to be guaranteed transfer to the Univ. of Minn. upon completion of your Associates. It is also a bargain financially.
Public transit is horrible in west Bloomington, but the BE Line bus will get you there from Southdale in Edina, which in turn can be reached by the #6 from Downtown and Uptown.
This is exactly correct. Bee Line from Southdale. My stepson lived in uptown and went to Normandale before transfering to the U. It took just over an hour for the trip. Check the Bee line schedule though. They did cut down on the number of routes awhile back.

Normandale is a good place to get your associates for less money. You then transfer to get your Bachelors. Many schools such as the U will take all your credits. This is not always the case.

Location is a bit of a problem, but at least there are some options.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
This is exactly correct. Bee Line from Southdale. My stepson lived in uptown and went to Normandale before transfering to the U. It took just over an hour for the trip. Check the Bee line schedule though. They did cut down on the number of routes awhile back.

Normandale is a good place to get your associates for less money. You then transfer to get your Bachelors. Many schools such as the U will take all your credits. This is not always the case.

Location is a bit of a problem, but at least there are some options.
Funny this thread came up. My daughter is thinking of taking a summer course at Normandale and she hates to drive so we just looked up the transit options this weekend. We found that there is a line from Mall of America (goes by Southdale too) that ends at Normandale. It's about a 30 minute ride. Don't know for sure, but the OP may find the fastest way there from downtown Mpls is LRT to MOA, then take the bus to Normandale.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:57 AM

481 posts, read 1,817,202 times
The Bee line is the Bloomington-Edina commuting circulator. It hits the major commercial areas (Southdale, Southtown, Mall of America) in both cities as well as several senior highrise complexes (mostly on York or Knox avenues South), health clinics (Oxboro and one or two others), local shopping (Target, CUB), and community-oriented locations (Normandale CC, Edinborough park and Creekside community center). For the most part it gives independent living to seniors who don't drive anymore, which also means it gets as close as possible - no quarter mile hikes across parking lots. You should be able to rely on it and be able to run some basic chores using it before & after class.

As long as you need it during basic daylight hours you should be fine - but pack a book or a walkman/mp3 player.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:32 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,018 times
If it were me, I might have to sacrifice living in/around DT Mpls in lieu of finding a place closer to the college itself. If you do decide on Mpls, finding something right on the light rail line would probably be the best bet, although I might be wrong. And when you look at apts/ houses, I wouldn't be afraid to call the Metro Transit line (listed on www.metrotransit.org) - they're always extremely helpful and can let you know what all the options are (e.g. at times the best route doesn't always populate on their online system).

Old 04-10-2009, 11:30 AM

989 posts, read 2,961,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Funny this thread came up. My daughter is thinking of taking a summer course at Normandale and she hates to drive so we just looked up the transit options this weekend. We found that there is a line from Mall of America (goes by Southdale too) that ends at Normandale. It's about a 30 minute ride. Don't know for sure, but the OP may find the fastest way there from downtown Mpls is LRT to MOA, then take the bus to Normandale.
MOA - Southdale - Normadale is the Bee line. Limited operation and frequency. I think the kid took the rail to MOA when he was living close to the rail access. From uptown it was quicker to get there via southdale. The suck factor really is waiting for bee line once you get to MOA or Southdale. Could be an hour sometimes. On top of two 30 minute legs, that is a long trip. Like H says, bring some books or tunes. Living out that way would might be an option, most shopping needs can be satisfied fairly close to Southdale. Lets just say he is quite happy to be at the U now. He does not miss the long bus rides.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
I don't have any useful information to add, but how is it possible that a school like Normandale doesn't have any decent public transportation options? I'd be curious to know if there's been behind-the-scenes talk about adding any in the future? Or has everyone just sort of given up and decided that that's the way it is? Does the school have an official stance?

With traffic an increasing problem in the Twin Cities this is something that really should be addressed. Plus, presumably there are a lot of students who can't afford a car; sure, they can go to another school or put up with an inconvenient bus ride, but that doesn't seem like a good solution to the problem. I'm sure there are staff, too, who take (or would take) public transportation if it were easier.

At least there is a bus option, however bad it is (and I've taken those Bee buses - they don't come very often, but are better than nothing), but the entire concept of situating a major local community college somewhere lacking easy, regular public transportation options doesn't make sense.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:15 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't have any useful information to add, but how is it possible that a school like Normandale doesn't have any decent public transportation options?
It's in a second-tier suburb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul