U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 12:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,129 times

Advertisements

I start work in the Wells Fargo tower this summer so I need a place. I went to see a few in February, and some more today.

Lowertown lofts: This was a very nice place, opened last year. Laundry in unit, nice windows and appliances. Price was basically the highest.

River Park Lofts: Quintessential warehouse. They took a warehouse and put in walls, kitchen parts, etc. It's just a space from the window to the door, but decent size. Windows were still warehouse quality so it just looked odd. Probably could have used more light... at 1:15 p.m., not a big deal but with their price being just under LTL it's a bad mark. And that's with a 12-month and 1 month free. Right next to the dishwasher was a washer AND dryer (one cylinder), interesting and nice.

Mears Park: This was with the Galtier towers. Cheap, $706. It didn't have the high ceilings but that kind of helped it feel like a house/home. Both had lots of closet room packed in. Laundry room was big at least.

Galtier was a little bit different. I'm not in for the view but with such a tall set of buildings it did look nice. Concierge service, top floor/roof lounge and pool area looked very nice. It reminded me of staying in a nice hotel, but price was under 8.

The Cosmopolitan: I was very interested because it has 92% on the unforgiving Apartmentratings.com site. That's remarkable, though I hope to NOT have to contact management much. But the price was back up above $850, so hopefully it would have service. They offered the concierge and all that. I liked the layout of the first place I saw, high ceilings and in-unit laundry. The second one was a bit more, umm, rustic but would be fine. They have the seemingly requisite lounge/patio and some grills. Good place.

Fitzgerald mini-loft: This one I did not like as much. Similar layout but definitely smaller. The bed folded out of the wall (well, it was in an armoire for a bed) and it needed to, not much space left. I tried to picture a desk and it looked like a squeeze. Laundry room was a bit cheesy, machines seemed to have orange stuff on them which hopefully isn't rust. It is about 500 ft away from where I will work.

So the clear winner would be the Galtier towers given the savings, but it might be worth it to go to the Cosmopolitan down the block if it is more worry-free including solid management. But... many of those reviews are old, so what to do?

Advice? And I am looking for St Paul properties not downtown, maybe split one with a friend and have fewer fellow occupants to deal with it, but prices there seem to have risen from the recent bottom and it would be nice to not take the bus to work. Space is not that critical, I probably won't be there that much. I would like a desk and broadband unless the wireless is REALLY fast. I probably will just skip the couch and TV, using the PC instead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul