Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 AM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,790 times

Advertisements

FYI - a "pending" is a home for sale that accepted an offer

New pendings last week were UP 33.1% versus this week last year. Also, we are only 5.1% below our BEST week in 2008. Considering the historical lows of last year, any new activity would cause quite an uptick in the market.

We have about 3,500 LESS listings on the market than this week one year ago.

Prediction time - the largest wave of foreclosures is yet to come. A majority of the ARM loans out there adjust in August. I have several clients saving their pennies now waiting for that event.

From my practice, I'm seeing two very distinct groups of homebuyers. 1) First timers looking for a foreclosure deal and the $8000 tax credit, and 2) people moving up into $500K-$600K homes (that were $800K-$1.2M just a few years ago).

That's Minnesota Real Estate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Maybe by 2015, Lawrence Yun will stop being wrong

Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 PM

Lawrence Yun...

Every group has their biases and alternate motives. The NAR is no exception. Lawrence Yun is a very nice guy face to face, and he struck me as extremely intelligent. I listen to his information with the same skepticism I bring to all forms of media. LOL

My prediction is not optimistic for the next two years. I think we're looking at higher unemployment and further declines in the housing market. But the issue is not the market - the REAL issue is how you react to it and what steps you take NOW.

We have it pretty good here in the Twin Cities, believe it or not compared to other areas of the country.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,800 times
I noticed that your location is "Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family" - is that an opinion or fact? Just curious since we might be building a home there soon...

Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 AM

35 posts, read 144,191 times
Default foreclosures

Robert,
If we were looking in the 350,000 price range would we find something in the way of foreclosures?

Old 04-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTwins542 View Post
I noticed that your location is "Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family" - is that an opinion or fact? Just curious since we might be building a home there soon...
That was some national magazine rating great areas to live. I have to admit, I like it here. Great, beautiful area - great schools - and my secret love with Lakeville? My wife and I can sitting at our table in downtown Minneapolis with drinks ordered in 25-30 minutes assuming that we can get babysitters.

When you rate an area of liveability (did I just make that word up?), I don't see how it could possibly be objective. So to answer your question - opinion. But a great opinion...

Old 04-15-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joestoes View Post
Robert,
If we were looking in the 350,000 price range would we find something in the way of foreclosures?
Yes, and the answer a year or two ago was No. The real estate boom 3-4 years ago caused first time home buyers to purchase homes they couldn't truly afford with loans that were bordering on the obscene.

Consider that a first time home buyer back then was buying a $250K to $300K home when they should have been buying under $200K. For awhile, the $325K to $500K range was fairly untouched by the bubble. Now, we're seeing more and more in the $350K range - and the most interesting part of that offering? New construction foreclosures. Yes, there are either brand new or 70%-80% finished homes available at steep discounts. Your $350K purchase now will be a home that was likely $500K just a few years ago.

Robert

Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 PM

Default An update - this week in real estate

Congratulations Minnesota, we're now in a balanced market. Whether or not a market favors buyers or sellers is determined by the number of homes on the market and the number of buyers available for those homes. A Buyers market is defined at 7+ months supply of homes, a balanced market is a 5-7 month supply of homes, and a seller's market is less than 5 months supply.

As of this week, for single family homes we are in a BALANCED market with an average 5.5 months of supply. For townhomes, we are still a buyers market at 8.0 months of supply.

This week, new pendings were up 7% from last week - and last week was good. Things are moving in the right direction.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:30 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert P Stewart View Post
When you rate an area of liveability (did I just make that word up?), I don't see how it could possibly be objective. So to answer your question - opinion. But a great opinion...
No, you didn't make the word up, but you did misspell it (livability). And is that professional or personal opinion?

Old 04-17-2009, 09:27 AM

MY opinion - LOL.

Rating livability (thanks, BTW) is like rating art. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul