Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:18 PM

203 posts, read 512,483 times

Advertisements

I won't name the town out of respect. Although, I recently visited a suburb of Minneapolis and St. Paul. It was an upperclass neighborhood resulting from the lake and everything, but I just didn't feel that comfortable walking around over there. Is that the mentality of Minneapolis and St.Paul also? I hope not. The suburb did seem somewhat conservative...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 01:49 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Um, no.

Define "comfortable"

Old 04-16-2009, 01:50 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Some suburbs have a reputation for being "uppity." I don't spend enough time in them to say whether it's deserved or not, although I know people who live in Minnetonka (one of the possible "uppity" places who are definitely not uppity. On the other hand, the kind of people who are snobby are going to be drawn to locations with some name recognition, so I suppose that in certain areas you're going to have a higher concentration of snobs than you are in areas that are perfectly nice but don't have the name factor.

Some people also criticize Minnesotans for being standoffish and "fake" nice; that's been beaten to death other places (I don't buy it, myself), but there are some cultural differences between different regions of the country, and sometimes Minnesotans are a little more reserved than they are other places. That's very different than "uppity," but I'm throwing it out there just in case people were just not as outgoing and talkative as they might be in other parts of the city.

As a general rule, I would say that Twin Cities are very much not an "uppity" kind of place, at least not in the traditional sense. If anything there's often a stigma attached to looking like you're trying too hard to show off.

I don't know why you're asking, but if you're asking because you're planning on relocating then you should take some time to explore different areas of the Twin Cities. There are many good options, and you shouldn't have a problem finding a place that feels more comfortable.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:07 PM

88 posts, read 301,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzymentality View Post
Is that the mentality of Minneapolis and St.Paul also?
I don't think so. But you were referring to a suburb, which is different than Minneapolis / St. Paul proper. Some places are certainly more conservative than others and attitudes of suburban vs. urban people will also differ. Why didn't you feel comfortable?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:44 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,730 times
What does "uppity" mean?

When I think of "uppity" I think "perky" and "peppy". Apparently (based on Uptown's response -which was well put might I add), I don't think I'm correct in my definition.

I sincerely don't feel like anyone is "showing off" anywhere I go in the cities (and by cities I mean entire metro area). Sure you'll see a few more expensive cars in some towns than in others, and some have grander homes. Is there something wrong with putting the rewards of your work ethic to use?

Some people get offended by someone else's happiness (dare I say, success) and that makes me uncomfortable.

I ditto Uptown in that looking like you're trying to show off is offensive, but I sincerely don't see anything wrong with driving that wicked looking car cause you've always wanted it and you can afford it...

Old 04-16-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Um, no.

Define "comfortable"
Well, maybe you should just look it up in a dictionary if you don't know what comfortable means..

Old 04-16-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer John View Post
I don't think so. But you were referring to a suburb, which is different than Minneapolis / St. Paul proper. Some places are certainly more conservative than others and attitudes of suburban vs. urban people will also differ. Why didn't you feel comfortable?

I didn't feel comfortable because I'm not conservative. I'm not into the luxury and materialistic lifestyle. I like people who are very humble and have money and don't spend it on boats..country clubs.. ect.

I just don't like that feeling. We are all different and some people may feel offended by what I said but it's just my opinion.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I think you're reading more into the question about defining comfortable than the posters intended; I had the same question, and simply wondered whether someone actively made you feel uncomfortable through their actions, or if it was just a matter of not feeling at home in the surroundings.

There are many areas of the Twin Cities where people have very little money, as well as neighborhoods where people have money but don't go in for the country club lifestyle. You should definitely not take your experience with one upscale suburb as representative of the entire region.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think you're reading more into the question about defining comfortable than the posters intended; I had the same question, and simply wondered whether someone actively made you feel uncomfortable through their actions, or if it was just a matter of not feeling at home in the surroundings.

There are many areas of the Twin Cities where people have very little money, as well as neighborhoods where people have money but don't go in for the country club lifestyle. You should definitely not take your experience with one upscale suburb as representative of the entire region.

I don't know... I really didn't like that feeling. I didn't feel comfortable because people generally were more "snobbish" in that specific area. Minneapolis doesn't seem like that though. The suburbs are where I get most of my impressions from.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:13 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post

As always, very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzymentality View Post
I don't know... I really didn't like that feeling. I didn't feel comfortable because people generally were more "snobbish" in that specific area. Minneapolis doesn't seem like that though. The suburbs are where I get most of my impressions from.
Jazzy, maybe you should find where it is you want to be living and then concentrate on spending your time there. Not saying you shouldn't venture out and explore other areas...now you know you don't prefer this unmentioned town over other areas. That's good to know. You'll find more of a concentration of this type of lifestyle ("country club lifestyle") in the western suburbs, for example. It sounds like you would prefer "city living", though. So concentrate your explorations there to start.

FWIW, I don't think it's fair to box all "rich people" as conservatives...but that's another topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul