Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:12 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,796 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I've used Banfield Pet Hospital inside Petsmart for his last visit--it was over $100 I think just for his check-up! They charge for just the office visit alone plus the 'exam' which I think is a total of 10 minutes lol.

Also, does anyone here have a pet that is on a prescription diet (not Science Diet) from the vet?? That is my only concern & what I have to find. My baby is on Hill's Prescription Diet food from the vet because he had an urethra obstruction last November (stopped going to the bathroom.) I'm running out of food and he needs his exam--and of course, I want the best possible care for my kitty, but also at a reasonable price!

Keep the suggestions coming, if you have any. I think I'm going to get on the phone tomorrow as well & start calling around.

*update**--duh, Science Diet & Hill's are the same company....but still curious if anyone has used this food..

Last edited by awsun1980; 05-14-2009 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,879 times
We moved here almost two years ago. At that time City Cat Clinic was recommended to us. City Cat Clinic. Exclusively for Cats. We love it. It's cats only. They schedule the appointments so that you are usually the only one in the waiting area, with the other appointment already being in the room. This is nice for us because one of our cats was a traumatized stray. It's very low stress for him. We just had both yearly exams done, with one of the cats getting shots (three year shots, not on the same schedule). It was around 150. The only thing is they charged me about 20 bucks a cat to clip their nails. I do this at home. I wish they would have asked. So, just make sure you don't have them clip the nails.

They are very nice there.

Now, about the Hill's Science Diet. What food exactly is he on? I'd check into some other alternatives (healthier brands of foods. Science Diet isn't a great quality food). Often they are cheaper and even better for the cat.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:25 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times
I've yet to be a pet-owner in Minneapolis, but I've heard good things from people about Camden Pet Hospital close by here- not quite the NW suburbs but in the NW corner of Minneapolis (still quite a hike from Hanover).

Old 05-18-2009, 02:06 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,796 times
Thanks, luna81--that place looks like a really cool place for cats, but way too expensive for me. $150 just for an annual exam on 1 cat or 2? Did you get a rabies shot with that, too? Yikes! I'm hoping to avoid a costly visit, but at the same time, I'd really like to get him in soon. The nail clipping wouldn't be a thing for me since my baby is declawed He is on Hill's C/D food & has to be on it for the rest of his life because of last years' obstruction. Personally, I would not go against the doctor's instruction for price or anything simply because I know it can happen again in male cats if not treated properly. He also has to lose weight & this is the only food that has helped him do that. I think he might even have lost 2 lbs! Can't wait to get into the vet & see.

lol Camden Northsider--thanks for pointing out that I live in the boonies--just a temporary stay, can't wait to be able to move somewhere more convienent!!

Old 05-18-2009, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,879 times
150 was for both cats with the nail trim (that's too much, don't do a trim) and shots for one of the cats. I dont' do rabies because they're inside only. I'd say it was around 50 or 60 for the exam/shots. Give them a call. They'll quote you prices better than I can.

I understand being careful about foods. I was just saying that some vets are paid by Science Diet to push Science Diet. It's not actually a good quality food compared to others out there. I'd ask the vet about it. There may be better options.

I'd really recommend City Cat Clinics. If they can handle my neurotic babies they can handle any

Evelyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul