Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:57 AM

117 posts, read 377,546 times

Advertisements

Two part question. What are some good restaurants in St Paul’s downtown? This would be during the Jazz festival in mid-June, and part of a romantic evening. I found WA Frost, Forepaugh’s, and St Paul Bar and Grill. I will pass on Kincade’s as we were very unimpressed with them in the past. The menu’s just seem rather boring at Frost and Forepaugh but they are supposed to be very romantic. Any suggestions would be useful.

Also, I have noticed a lack of good dining options for soul food, southern inspired, Caribbean or Cajun type cuisine. It seems that most restaurants are just serving bland “MN” type food. Are there any restaurants out there with these types of fare? We used to love Big E’s and Copeland’s but they are long gone. It seems that asian-themed restaurants are the only option for anything beside Americanized bland options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 09:11 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
This is a great resource guide for finding a new restaurant to try out. You can search by price, neighborhood or type of food.

Minneapolis Restaurants and Reviews - Minneapolis Dining Guide - MN Restaurants

Old 05-11-2009, 11:45 AM

550 posts, read 1,637,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurls View Post
T
Also, I have noticed a lack of good dining options for soul food, southern inspired, Caribbean or Cajun type cuisine. It seems that most restaurants are just serving bland “MN” type food. Are there any restaurants out there with these types of fare? We used to love Big E’s and Copeland’s but they are long gone. It seems that asian-themed restaurants are the only option for anything beside Americanized bland options.

Not soul food, southern-inspired [unless you count South America], Caribbean or Cajun, but also not Asian....

a great, ethnic, restaurant, if you don't mind slumming it a bit, is Manana Restuarant: Mexican restaurant, burritos, tacos - Saint Paul, Minnesota - Home

[That link is to their website, they do have "mexican" fare, but the owners are El Salvadorian and it's their El Salvadorian Pupusa's which I really love!}

Here is an article featuring Manana Restaurant: On the Trail of the Perfect Pupusa « The Heavy Table

Manana Restaurant - 828 7th Street E, Saint Paul, MN 55106-4516 Apparently they have a second location in Burnsville ?

Manana is one of my favorite restaurants, it's a hole-in-the-wall, for sure... but the food is AWESOME.

Be sure to try their Pupusas Pupusa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

+++++

Emily's Lebanese Delicatessen
641 University Ave NE, Minneapolis, MN

Small place, no fancy decor... really good food, a friend of mine who grew up with her Lebanese grandmother says the food is authentic.

++++++

Rudolph's BBQ - corner of Franklin & Lyndale in Minneapolis, great ribs & coleslaw, neighborhood favorite.

http://www.rudolphsribs.com/

We lived around the corner from Rudolphs for 6 years and my GA born & raised husband loved going to Rudolphs often, we still get over there a couple times a year....

that being said, my husband maintains the Twin Cities just doe not have REAL southern soul food

++++++

Dixie's on Grand in St. Paul... advertises southern comfort food, smooth jazz music - We personally have never been there... perhaps I should take my husband there and let him review it?

Dixies on Grand

+++++

920 East Lake Street, Minneapolis
Welcome to West Indies Soul food~Minneapolis, USA

Old 05-11-2009, 11:59 AM

203 posts, read 512,450 times
Which place is the soul food

Old 05-11-2009, 12:06 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
Not soul food, southern-inspired [unless you count South America], Caribbean or Cajun, but also not Asian....

a great, ethnic, restaurant, if you don't mind slumming it a bit, is Manana Restuarant: Mexican restaurant, burritos, tacos - Saint Paul, Minnesota - Home

[That link is to their website, they do have "mexican" fare, but the owners are El Salvadorian and it's their El Salvadorian Pupusa's which I really love!}

Here is an article featuring Manana Restaurant: On the Trail of the Perfect Pupusa « The Heavy Table

Manana Restaurant - 828 7th Street E, Saint Paul, MN 55106-4516 Apparently they have a second location in Burnsville ?

Manana is one of my favorite restaurants, it's a hole-in-the-wall, for sure... but the food is AWESOME.

Be sure to try their Pupusas Pupusa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

+++++

Emily's Lebanese Delicatessen
641 University Ave NE, Minneapolis, MN

Small place, no fancy decor... really good food, a friend of mine who grew up with her Lebanese grandmother says the food is authentic.

++++++

Rudolph's BBQ - corner of Franklin & Lyndale in Minneapolis, great ribs & coleslaw, neighborhood favorite.

Rudolphs

We lived around the corner from Rudolphs for 6 years and my GA born & raised husband loved going to Rudolphs often, we still get over there a couple times a year....

that being said, my husband maintains the Twin Cities just doe not have REAL southern soul food

++++++

Dixie's on Grand in St. Paul... advertises southern comfort food, smooth jazz music - We personally have never been there... perhaps I should take my husband there and let him review it?

Dixies on Grand

+++++

920 East Lake Street, Minneapolis
Welcome to West Indies Soul food~Minneapolis, USA

I've travelled in the South extensively and love Southern food. IMHO, Dixie's is pretty authentic. Take your husband, then post his comments here. I'd be interested in hearing them.

PS: OP, Dixie's isn't downtown, but its very close to it.

Last edited by Ben Around; 05-11-2009 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: add a comment

Old 05-11-2009, 12:07 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
Here is a list of soulfood restaurants I found from doing a seach on citypages:

-Brasa 600 E.Hennepin Ave. Latin American, Soul Food, Southern - University
-Arnellia's 1183 University Ave. W Soul Food, Southern - Midway/ Frogtown
-Bayou Cajon Cuisine 555 Nicollet Mall American, Soul Food, Southern - Downtown Minneapolis
-Betty Jean's Chicken 'n Waffles 319 1st Ave. N American, Soul Food, Southern - Downtown Minneapolis
-Big C's Wing Stop 2117 W Broadway Ave. Soul Food, Southern - Near North
-Charly's Polleria 2851 Central Ave. NE Mexican, Soul Food, Southern - Northeast
-Chelly's Cafe 3758 Nicollet Ave. S Soul Food, Southern - Kingfield
-Cora's Best Chicken Wings 1554 University Ave. W Soul Food, Southern - Midway/Frogtown
-Cora's Best Chicken Wings 168 Cesar Chavez St. Soul Food - West Side
-Favor Cafe 913 W Lake St. Soul Food, Southern - Uptown/ Eat Street
-Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 7501 150th St. W Soul Food, Southern - Apple Valley
-West Indies Soul Food 920 E. Lake St. Caribbean, Soul Food, Southern - Powderhorn

Old 05-11-2009, 12:11 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Can anyone recommend Pazzaluna to the OP? I've been there for drinks & appetizers, but haven't had a meal there. Right in the heart of downtown.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:25 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,034 times
Its not in St Paul, but another suggestion is Harry Sinng's Carribean Cafe in the 26XX block of Nicollet Avenue (Eat Street). I ate lunch there recently and had his jerk chicken roti--very spicy and tasty, plus he has his own hot sauce if you need more spice. Harry is a real friendly guy (originally from Trinidad, I think) and he cooks everything himself.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
There is a good Caribbean place in Hudson, WI too.

Raising Caine's qualifies as Soul Food??

Old 05-11-2009, 05:47 PM

987 posts, read 3,818,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Here is a list of soulfood restaurants I found from doing a seach on citypages:

-Brasa 600 E.Hennepin Ave. Latin American, Soul Food, Southern - University
-Arnellia's 1183 University Ave. W Soul Food, Southern - Midway/ Frogtown
-Bayou Cajon Cuisine 555 Nicollet Mall American, Soul Food, Southern - Downtown Minneapolis
-Betty Jean's Chicken 'n Waffles 319 1st Ave. N American, Soul Food, Southern - Downtown Minneapolis
-Big C's Wing Stop 2117 W Broadway Ave. Soul Food, Southern - Near North
-Charly's Polleria 2851 Central Ave. NE Mexican, Soul Food, Southern - Northeast
-Chelly's Cafe 3758 Nicollet Ave. S Soul Food, Southern - Kingfield
-Cora's Best Chicken Wings 1554 University Ave. W Soul Food, Southern - Midway/Frogtown
-Cora's Best Chicken Wings 168 Cesar Chavez St. Soul Food - West Side
-Favor Cafe 913 W Lake St. Soul Food, Southern - Uptown/ Eat Street
-Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 7501 150th St. W Soul Food, Southern - Apple Valley
-West Indies Soul Food 920 E. Lake St. Caribbean, Soul Food, Southern - Powderhorn
I had no idea?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul