Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:41 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Minnesotans tend to lock themselves into marriage pretty early.
Not if they're sane, IMO. (I was 41).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 11:47 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Yeah but there is no chance the plant will turn into urban decay as is the case in Detroit, Pontiac, Flint, etc. The St. Paul Ford plant is situated on one of the richest pieces of real estate in the Twin Cities.
True. No way will this land sit idle like the abandoned auto plants in Detroit. But I hope the site's re-use isn't second-ring suburb style. With the Ford plant in operation, we have a nice, convenient, peaceful, walkable, neighborhood now. I'd hate to see it turn into another traffic-choked Maple Grove or Eagan. (Nothing aginst those burbs, it's just that the TC has an overabundance of them now, but very few neighborhoods left like Highland Pk.)

Old 05-20-2009, 02:49 PM

550 posts, read 1,637,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
He means all of the beautiful MARRIED people....

Minnesotans tend to lock themselves into marriage pretty early.
I wouldn't agree with this... I personally married young, but I married a Georgian while living in Georgia, and down there, yeah - they marry young.

But I was the first in my group of friends from Minnesota to get married, and it was years before others in my group of friends started to walk down the aisle.

I was a first-time mother at 22, which I discovered is a pretty strange age to be a new mom... at my childbirth preparations, all the new moms were either in their thirties or teenagers.

Yes, this was in Minnesota, we moved back to MN as soon as we discovered we were pregnant.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:04 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,488 times
In Michigan no one marries young. You get more welfare being a single parent. It seems only the bible belt states would marry young.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Marrying young doesn't automatically relate to either parenthood or welfare - what a bunch of stereotypical assumptions. I married young (21), didn't have a kid until my late 20s (in other words did not marry because a baby was on the way), and am not (and have never been) a single parent, on welfare, or religious, for that matter.

I got married much before most of my MN friends of the same age, by the way. I don't think of MN as being a particularly young-to-marry kind of state.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:36 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
No plans to marry any time soon here! I hope moving to Minnesota doesn't change that either!!! Maybe the cold temperatures make relationships stronger in Minnesota -just a theory.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:52 AM

615 posts, read 1,375,060 times
Unhappy Twin Cities rank low in preferred places to live

According to a survey by the Pew Research Center’s Social & Demographic Trends project, only 16 percent of respondents said they would like to live in the Minneapolis / St.Paul metropolitan area. Only Kansas City, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Detroit ranked lower in the study. Here is an article which describes the results of the study:

Twin Cities rank low in preferred places to live - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

What can the Twin Cities do to improve their national reputation and popularity?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:18 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
According to a survey by the Pew Research Center’s Social & Demographic Trends project, only 16 percent of respondents said they would like to live in the Minneapolis / St.Paul metropolitan area. Only Kansas City, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Detroit ranked lower in the study. Here is an article which describes the results of the study:

Twin Cities rank low in preferred places to live - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

What can the Twin Cities do to improve their national reputation and popularity?
It can't because of the VERY COLD weather! But its nice... Keeps the riffraff away!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Is having more transplants in the Twin Cities a desirable goal?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:51 PM

27 posts, read 76,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
No plans to marry any time soon here! I hope moving to Minnesota doesn't change that either!!! Maybe the cold temperatures make relationships stronger in Minnesota -just a theory.

You have a point here. I've noticed a LOT of friends and co-workers have birthdays in October, November and December (including my wife), which of course, means they were conceived in January, February and March, the 3 most miserable weather months of the year here. I was born in Feb., but I am not a MN native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul