Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 AM

26 posts, read 200,188 times

Advertisements

Hi,

moving back to MN from FL and focusing on burnsville or eagan where work would be; which neighborhoods would be the best to avoid in each (trying to stay under 200k home; don't mind older houses as have seen on real estate website but not if neighborhood is unsafe), and, have read mixed reviews on burnsville--other than the school district issues, is it a safe place to live? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 05:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,069,672 times
They are both safe communities. The main issue with both towns is avoiding airport noise. If you look on the airport website you can see what the flight paths are and which neighborhoods are in line with that and avoid those. Finding a house under 200K in Eagan isn't going to be all that easy, Burnsville a little easier.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:49 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,276,294 times
The result of an MLS search showed that there are currently 16 SFH in Eagan for 200k and under and 25 or so in Burnsville. Both suburbs have 50-100 townhomes/condos on the market in that range. You should be safe and possibly bored in either so take your pick.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:51 AM

26 posts, read 200,188 times
Thanks for the reassurance and quick replies. We live within a couple miles of the airport here and the noise has never really bothered us. We're looking for the typical (older) 4/2 2000+ sqft split/walkout, and, yes, there aren't that many for under 200k, but a few here and there. Hopefully, when move this coming spring, either things will be so that we can bump up the price a bit, or there will still be a few affordable homes in those areas (you only need one I always say). Normally we'd be closer to 250-300k but took quite a hit this past year, not to mention our house here is worth less than we owe so we're not going to have a sizable down payment this time around.

Anyway, thanks both for the responses, I really appreciate them. So it's safe to assume that what I read about avoiding anything near Yankee Doodle rd in Eagan and gang activity in Burnsville center are exaggerations?

P.S. Boring is good, I like boring.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:39 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,276,294 times
The only thing you need to worry about on Yankee Doodle is stumbling into a weapons factory (Lockheed Martin on Yankee Doodle and Pilot Knob) or the possibility of a disgruntled protester at that intersection (kidding). In my personal experience I was not much of a fan of the neighborhood I lived in when I was in Eagan, just southeast of the Pilot Knob/Diffley intersection. I never felt unsafe there but I was the victim of vandalism in the year I lived there (windshield and windows of my car were smashed). It wasn't the most desirable looking neighborhood, filled with run down duplexes and uninspiring one story homes built in the 1970's. If I had to live in Eagan I'd try to find a place north of Yankee Doodle and west of 35E, for convenience more than anything else.

One safety warning: Be extremely careful riding your bike in Eagan. One of my co-worker's was mangled by a car backing out of a driveway on Pilot Knob and I was nearly hit by a car (also on Pilot Knob) and by avoiding contact was forced to dump my bike and it was totaled. I think there is a combination of poor accomodation for bikers and people in the area aren't good at looking out for them. Bottom-line - Bike at your own risk there.

We went to the Burnsville Mall one evening last week and trust me, you have NOTHING to worry about there.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 05-20-2009 at 09:52 AM..

Old 05-20-2009, 09:41 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,623,399 times
I admittedly don't spend a lot of time in Eagan or Burnsville Center, but really, those areas to me are the epitome of boring - yes, probably every area of the Twin Cities has had some level of crime, but in most areas it's really overhyped. I would not think twice about going to those areas, safety-wise. You're going to be far more at risk getting into a car accident or something than you would being impacted in any way by gang activity or other crime in that area.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:25 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,530,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I admittedly don't spend a lot of time in Eagan or Burnsville Center, but really, those areas to me are the epitome of boring - yes, probably every area of the Twin Cities has had some level of crime, but in most areas it's really overhyped. I would not think twice about going to those areas, safety-wise. You're going to be far more at risk getting into a car accident or something than you would being impacted in any way by gang activity or other crime in that area.
That is true in any area unless you deal drugs.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:06 PM

59 posts, read 307,241 times
I would avoid Burnsville more than Eagan. I realize Eagan is substantially more expensive, but... just take a look at the people around there (no offense, I know there is good people everywhere), and you'll understand what I'm saying. Its just a little more.... uhh.. rough.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:15 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,623,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
That is true in any area unless you deal drugs.
Yeah, I know, but based on the number of times variations on this question get asked about nearly every neighborhood, city, or suburb in the metro area (although it is refreshing to see someone ask it about the suburbs, and not a city neighborhood!) I think a lot of people must be scared to leave the house.

Slig, our posts crossed earlier, but your point about the biking is very good; I know people who bike in around that area, and they've also encountered problems. The Twin Cities are great for biking, and in many areas are very bike-friendly, but that area is not one of them. (not good for walking, either, for that matter; same could be said for most outer suburban areas of the Twin Cities, unfortunately. Double the danger in the winter when there's snow on the ground)

Old 05-21-2009, 10:21 AM

31 posts, read 116,339 times
in Eagan there is a pretty decent bike path around a lake/pond just south of Yankee Doodle and Lexington heavily wooded area where there are Deer, Racoons, Geese, Frogs chirping in the Wind etc. Very nice area, I used to live over there and enjoyed it immensely. One area that I would recommend where you might find something in your pricerange would be south of yankee doodle but East of 35E. Biggest problem with yankee doodle definitely is not crime but the cops do love to target the area for speeders BIG TIME. So if you have a lead foot avoid that road at all costs. There is a good mix of retail / restaurants in the area and the only crime I heard of in 3 years I lived in that area was arson of a outhouse in the park area that I described above.

As to the part about people nearly getting hit on bikes, my only comment is just that when you were in drivers training way back when the first thing they teach you is defensive driving. Always be on the lookout, paying attention is a two way street. It's much easier to look out for a car then it is a little bike. If a car is coming your way, never assume it won't turn into you and you'll be safe everywhere you go. Too many pedestrians and bike riders assume that the car will just automatically stop for them.

The previous statement about airplane noise is correct and I would say it is the only complaint I ever had about Eagan other then the ticket happy police officers. As an example about 30% of the time I drove, walked, biked down Yankee Doodle East of 35E I saw an officer pulling over a speeder. I guess that means they are bored due to lack of crime :P Anymore specific questions feel free to ask.

Also if you have children at all the Waterpark/Pool is very good there and at least used to have reduced rates for locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul